Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: West coast fires - 2020 edition

09-17-2020 08:15 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      So the guy accused of starting a fire in WA was arrested a few hours after he was released. The guy just can't catch a break.
      https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...245659120.html

Seems like he is causing his own troubles.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      09-18-2020 02:48 AM #77
      For the first time in a couple weeks, the sky was blue. Not like normal, but it wasn't as smoky.

Hoping Mt. Wilson and the observatory make it. Been around since 1917.

4. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      09-18-2020 02:58 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      For the first time in a couple weeks, the sky was blue. Not like normal, but it wasn't as smoky.

Hoping Mt. Wilson and the observatory make it. Been around since 1917.
      GC, I hope there is somethings left in the far west after the fire recedes.

Most of us can't imagine living through a pandemic combined with the wild fires. It's as close to 'the end of days' that I want to imagine.

Please stay safe everyone.

09-18-2020 08:31 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      GC, I hope there is somethings left in the far west after the fire recedes.

Most of us can't imagine living through a pandemic combined with the wild fires. It's as close to 'the end of days' that I want to imagine...

We left California after the Thomas Fire which, at that time, was the largest wildfire in state history. That record stood only until the next fire season, and has been broken repeatedly this year.

I've lived through hurricanes, Nor'easters, tornadoes and earthquakes, but wildfires scare me more than any of them. The others are all finite in a way that wildfires just aren't. You know that no matter how bad they are, they'll end relatively soon, and wildfires don't play by those rules. I can't convey with words how deeply unsettling it is to wake up to a sky with no horizon, no clear sense of where the danger is, and in which direction you should flee on the limited avenues of escape that California roads allow.
      From the npboards, home of "intelligent discussion:" ...Trump...seems to be appealing quite a bit to black voters. By some estimates as many as one out of four would vote for him. This may well be because he not only has a Strong Pimp Hand, he is also the most "******-Rich" man in New York City. In other words, someone they can both relate to and aspire to."

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      09-18-2020 12:18 PM #80
      Looks like the Stupid Gender Reveal Fire (AKA El Dorado Fire) has burned over 21,000 acres as of this morning, and only 66% contained.
      TIL Motor oil doesn't come from motors.

09-18-2020 12:22 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Looks like the Stupid Gender Reveal Fire (AKA El Dorado Fire) has burned over 21,000 acres as of this morning, and only 66% contained.
      Do we know the pol leanings of the person? Were they blue or pink (red)?
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      09-18-2020 12:35 PM #82
      The story gets worse, a firefighter died in that fire. Also, with that the charges against the couple responsible just took a worse turn. CA authorities said they can be held both criminally and fiscally responsible.

09-18-2020 12:54 PM #83
      Goats take up the cause of fire prevention in Oregon

These ungulates can eat large amounts of dry undergrowth that fuels big fires in a matter of days, offering a furry approach to fire prevention.

According to this website there are 30 million acres of forest in Oregon. I think you need to rework your maths.

If it takes 230 goats 1.5 days to eat 1 acre, then it would take 345 goats to eat 1 acre per day. So a goat eats 1/345 of an acre per day. Or 1 goat would eat approximately 1 acre per year. So it would take about 30 million goats to eat through all 30 million acres of Oregon forest in the span of 1 year.

The 230 goats also cost $800/day. Or about $3.50 per day per goat. At 30,000,000 goats over the course of a year, that is about $38 BILLION!!! It doesn't seem very cost effective. Although some people are saying this is the greatest of all time solution.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-18-2020 12:58 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      [B][URL="https://www.opb.org/article/2020/09/17/goats-fire-prevention-oregon/"]
      The 230 goats also cost $800/day. Or about $3.50 per day per goat. At 30,000,000 goats over the course of a year, that is about $38 BILLION!!! It doesn't seem very cost effective. Although some people are saying this is the greatest of all time solution.
      Volume discount, just for you. 35 billion. Final offer.

11. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-18-2020 01:14 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Volume discount, just for you. 35 billion. Final offer.
      Who keeps the goats afterward?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

12. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      09-18-2020 01:26 PM #86

According to this website there are 30 million acres of forest in Oregon. I think you need to rework your maths.

If it takes 230 goats 1.5 days to eat 1 acre, then it would take 345 goats to eat 1 acre per day. So a goat eats 1/345 of an acre per day. Or 1 goat would eat approximately 1 acre per year. So it would take about 30 million goats to eat through all 30 million acres of Oregon forest in the span of 1 year.

You're going off the assumption that all 30 million acres are going to catch fire at the same time, or at the very least, the same year.

A simple targeted approach where 300-400 goats are dropped into hotspots would yield positive anti-fire results. And just leave these goats to wander the woods.

I would like to see an EIS though, as removing a lot of dead brush would affect many a woodland creatures.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      09-18-2020 01:28 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Who keeps the goats afterward?
      Gisele.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-18-2020 01:37 PM #88
      You're going off the assumption that all 30 million acres are going to catch fire at the same time, or at the very least, the same year.

A simple targeted approach where 300-400 goats are dropped into hotspots would yield positive anti-fire results. And just leave these goats to wander the woods.

I would like to see an EIS though, as removing a lot of dead brush would affect many a woodland creatures.

I have to imagine that would wreak havoc on the ecosystem, kind of like the wild boars in Texas or whatever is going on down there

15. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-18-2020 01:43 PM #89
      Bend is high 200s. I can't remember where your car is, but pretty much all of Oregon is bad. All of WA is bad, too. Our AQI numbers are going down, but not nearly enough. And I think we got a big push of smoke in late yesterday. No rain, it's been pushed to Fri/Sat.
      The Bus is in Silverton which according to Salem's AQI is probably somewhere around 150 this minute which is thankfully way lower than it has been and apparently rain is sweeping across the state which will be a huge help. The Beachie Creek Fire is the one that was threatening the town but appears to be dying down on the western side minus a few hot spots. Plus it appears to be raining on top of the Beachie Creek/Lionshead/Riverside fires as I type this so things are looking good..for now.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      09-18-2020 01:44 PM #90
      Just think of all the goat milk at your disposal too. Win-win.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      09-18-2020 01:44 PM #91

Oregon overrun with 30 Million goats?! And what about their pellet poo???

I say, let Oregon burn.

(Or teach a million goats to rake the forest floor)

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-18-2020 01:51 PM #92
      I'm going to buy a bunch of stock in some company that clones animals

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      09-18-2020 02:04 PM #93
      I never knew Texas was goat central.

Vehicles
      Japanese Truck, Italian Motorcycle
      09-18-2020 02:08 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I'm going to buy a bunch of stock in some company that clones animals

That number is oddly specific.
      ಠ_ಠ

21. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-18-2020 02:20 PM #95
      So our AQI is improving, but today I smell more smoke. That's annoying.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

09-18-2020 02:24 PM #96
      Oregon overrun with 30 Million goats?! And what about their pellet poo???

I say, let Oregon burn.

(Or teach a million goats to rake the forest floor)
      Yule be sorry

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-18-2020 02:36 PM #97
      So our AQI is improving, but today I smell more smoke. That's annoying.
      If they cancel the game on Sunday imma gonna rage

09-18-2020 02:40 PM #98

300-400 goats would only be able to solve 300-400 acres over the course of a year. According to the math of the article, in approximate terms, it takes 1 goat an entire year to eat one acre of brush. At a minimum, you would need 500 to 1000 herds of 300-400 goats being shuttled around to make a significant dent in the management of the forest brush.

09-18-2020 02:41 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Yule be sorry

Roast goat leg.

26. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-18-2020 02:45 PM #100
      300-400 goats would only be able to solve 300-400 acres over the course of a year. According to the math of the article, in approximate terms, it takes 1 goat an entire year to eat one acre of brush. At a minimum, you would need 500 to 1000 herds of 300-400 goats being shuttled around to make a significant dent in the management of the forest brush.
      They can just eat fire breaks. That would substantially lower the amount of ground they'd have to cover, AND allow small wildfires to burn, as prescribed by scientists.

win-win!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast