Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Shifting Issues Related to Mounts

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 MK6 Golf R
      09-13-2020 10:05 AM #1
      I tried searching on this issue but havenít had much luck. From what I can see I think I have some motor/trans mounts that need replacing. I had a GTI before this which seemed to shift a little better so thatís the only baseline comparison I can make.

When driving around I think Iím getting too much play in the shifter. Itís especially noticeable in 6th gear when I lift the throttle on the highway, the shifter will move about a half inch side to side. I can also feel more movement than what seems acceptable in the drivetrain when shifting between gears.

Iím planning to get a short shift kit, but I donít think that wonít solve the whole problem if I donít also look at motor mounts and trans mounts.

So in addition to short shift kit, is there any other mounts people get at the same time?

Has anyone experienced similar issues or is this normal for a car with 80k on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 golf r apr stage 3+, bagged 2011 APR k04 tiguan 4 motion, 02 3.2tt(gone) 90vr corrado(gone
      09-13-2020 11:35 AM #2
      Iíd look at thebbushings in the shifter cable ends then tend to get sloppy with time and you can put solid aluminum inserts in to replace the bushings and take out the slop

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-13-2020 02:18 PM #3
      The dogbone mount and its bushing made the biggest difference in shift feel for me. I ran APR's pendulum with 034's solid bushing for a while, but it eventually got to be too much vibration for me, so I switched back to the stock bushing with 034's billet insert set and it's much better.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, CSG, 4dr
      09-14-2020 01:57 PM #4
      Iíve been running the dieselgeek SSK for the R for the last few years and itís been largely great. No significant play anywhere. I also have the HPA dogbone motor mount as well, but donít notice any major vibrations.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 MK6 Golf R
      09-15-2020 10:36 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 24valvett View Post
      Iíd look at thebbushings in the shifter cable ends then tend to get sloppy with time and you can put solid aluminum inserts in to replace the bushings and take out the slop
      Iíll take a look at them, do you prefer this over a short shift kit?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-15-2020 12:52 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Jpk92 View Post

They should ideally be done together if you want to tighten it up. That's one of the reasons people like the dieselgeek kit so much - it's a short shifter that replaces the stock cable ends entirely, so you get it all taken care of at once in addition to it having a great feel.

It's a pain to get the dieselgeek adjusted right, but it's a lot better than stock-style short shifters.

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 MK6 Golf R
      09-15-2020 02:50 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TimS78 View Post
      They should ideally be done together if you want to tighten it up. That's one of the reasons people like the dieselgeek kit so much - it's a short shifter that replaces the stock cable ends entirely, so you get it all taken care of at once in addition to it having a great feel.

It's a pain to get the dieselgeek adjusted right, but it's a lot better than stock-style short shifters.
      I just checked out their website, which sigma do you have?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-15-2020 05:38 PM #8
      The 6 is the only one that fits our cars. The 5 is for 5 speed transmissions.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 golf r apr stage 3+, bagged 2011 APR k04 tiguan 4 motion, 02 3.2tt(gone) 90vr corrado(gone
      09-15-2020 07:37 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Jpk92 View Post

Yea like Tim said I ran both the bushings and the short shifter the bushings just reduce some of the play they donít actually shorten the throw. Ran that way for 2-3 years and just took it all out a few weeks ago when I installed a CAE ultra shifter. Ended up giving the short shifter away to one buddy and the bushings to another

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 1989 S50 swapped E30
      09-16-2020 09:39 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 24valvett View Post
      Yea like Tim said I ran both the bushings and the short shifter the bushings just reduce some of the play they donít actually shorten the throw. Ran that way for 2-3 years and just took it all out a few weeks ago when I installed a CAE ultra shifter. Ended up giving the short shifter away to one buddy and the bushings to another
      How do you like the CAE shifter? I've been rebuilding my shifter box and trying to do it without dropping the exhaust and driveshaft. I've been thinking if I go through that hassle that I might pull the trigger on a CAE shifter.
      Bryan - DCIVW
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      We really need breeding standards like they have with dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen? Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2020 10:21 PM #11
      I love the shifter except for the fact that I melted the cable for side to side throw against the down pipe so it doesnít bounce back to self center, Iíve since bought the 42 draft cable bracket to get some clearance from the 3Ē apr downpipe. Shifter starts off tight left to right but after 10-15 minutes of drive time the cable warms up and works perfectly. Ordered a new cable that will be here tomorrow. Hoping to put it in this weekend but not likely since Iím helping a friend lay hardwood floors