VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Your Car Visceral?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      09-14-2020 03:18 AM #26
      My 69 Chevelle was. My wagon, not so much until I hit a corner (or a pothole, it rattles). My Tiguan in bright Orange looks the part, but it's all appliance to drive.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Minivan
      09-14-2020 03:50 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I think it's a relative answer in many cases. For me:

Grand Cherokee SRT: No
      E92 M3: Kinda
      Corrado SLC with mods: Yes

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      That's an interesting take, I'm car shopping and the E92 M3 is on the list to experience. How long have you owned your Rado? I owned a G60 in high school that I would've described as visceral at the time and a few years ago I picked up a SLC to relive the younger days but was highly disappointed, it was posted for sale within months. Tastes change over time or do they?

Quote Originally Posted by shftat6 View Post
      I think both of mine qualify.

The F150 with the supercharger it is just way faster than anything that size should be. The feeling as all of that weight pushes you to stupid speeds reminds me quick of why I upgraded the brakes.

The ZL1... It is just the complete package. The handling and braking to go with the power makes any drive entertaining. Now if all of these storms would leave so I could have a decent dry day to drive it.
      I have rented a Hellcat via Turo a few times, the supercharger whine is addictive and extremely fun but I wouldn't describe a Hellcat as visceral but different strokes and all. There's no right or wrong answer, it's interesting to see the wide range of answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Evora 400 because of feelings and not logic. It's a pile of crap sometimes, but you drive it and you don't care. It's illogical not really smart to pick it over a Cayman GT4, until you drive the Evora. It just burrows into you, and gives you a bigger emotional response, since it's just different and special and delicate.
      I have fallen in love with the Evora, type of driving experience I would make an excuse to go out for a errand using the long way back. I've only experienced the slow version and am seriously thinking about picking up a 400 but hard to finalize when 911/GT4/GTR/AMG GT can be had in the same range

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-14-2020 07:01 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by crashmtb View Post
      Land Rover is visceral and “analog” - because there are garden sheds with more structure and better handling. Analog for the same reason.
      Ha! Yeah, you reminded me of my FJ55. Basically a metal box with a chevy 350 bolted into the engine bay. Big, long throw shifter, you could hear and feel the gears working in the transmission and transfer case, it had that old car smell, the body was so boomy with zero sound insulation. It was visceral and analog in every way.

It was a real pile, I don't know I how I managed to get it running right and legally inspected, but I sold it shortly after.

[IMG][/IMG]

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-14-2020 07:09 AM #29
      The rabbit is pure viscera. It is far too stiff, brakes are right now, clutch is heavy and the wheel base is short. It is also full of 10:1 ratios. 200 horsepower, 2000 lbs, 195 width tires.
      The aggressive alignment on it means torque steer is intense. Been driving a mostly stock e30 325i this summer, which is a Rolls Royce comparatively. I fear the next step after the rabbit is going to be a locost, or LS powered miata. Because what else would have as much fizz?

-Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

6. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-14-2020 07:37 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      The rabbit is pure viscera.
      The 1983 Scirocco is like a go kart.

Pretty scarry above 120.

71 Corvette; this thing wants to kill you.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      crusty S'charged AW11, R32 Skyline GTS-T, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata
      09-14-2020 07:53 AM #31
      The GLI obviously doesn't, but a stage one tune, pedal tuner and some hydraulic clutch update i forgot about should make it feel how it should have from the factory.

The other 3 have fairly high levels of Visceralness-the Skyline GTS-T is probably the tops- ultra loud ISR exhaust that pops and burbles, performance clutch, rock hard GReddy coilovers (it actually handles very well), almost no 1st gear syncromesh and 17" R33 GTR wheels. It's a laugh and an attention getter. Sadly I put <500 miles on it this year, and the HICAS all wheel steer is dead.

One of my favorite things about the Mazdaspeed is that it's new enough that it doesn't have the fragile delicacy of the 1980s machines that I'm used to. It has the power that was missing from the 96 and vastly improved hydraulic steering. It's pretty unrefined for a 2004 car but feels like a Lexus compared to my 96, and the shifter is excellent (although the 5 speed has better spaced ratios, and is also very good). It's still a Miata-you get exactly what you expect, it's just as happy to hoon as it is to putt around town on a nice day. The only downside is the redline is a disappointing 6500 RPM, a grand less than the MR2 and R32 and my 14" ice tires won't clear the brakes. It also needs some mods to smooth out the powerband (at least a downpipe and intake)-theres nothing below 4 and you only have about 2000 RPM to play with.

The AW11 was a bucket list car for over 4 years now and when a supercharged version fell into my lap, I just had to jump in. My very first midship engine car and without power steering, it's not in good condition, but it's also rare enough to justify maintaining it. As a former NA Miata owner what I love about it is how it pursues a similar purpose with entirely different methods, there are some areas where the Miata is superior (which is unsuprising as it's 6 years more advanced) but the MR2 is better in completely different ways. Although I'm still a mid-engine novice, the MR2 demands you utilize it's momentum and throttle in cornering, and it'll reward you-if you don't overcook it. It is about as analog as a car that I've owned, though, and not at all refined-although the ride is surprisingly good on it's coilovers.

Last edited by 88c900t; 09-14-2020 at 08:20 AM.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

09-14-2020 08:25 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Oh really. Have more info handy in case you don't decide to buy it back?
      PM sent. I am on the fence with that or a modded MK7 Golf R that is for sale. Just bought my daughter a MK7 GTI and I really like it.
      2010 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-14-2020 09:16 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 4th Branch View Post
      That's an interesting take, I'm car shopping and the E92 M3 is on the list to experience. How long have you owned your Rado? I owned a G60 in high school that I would've described as visceral at the time and a few years ago I picked up a SLC to relive the younger days but was highly disappointed, it was posted for sale within months. Tastes change over time or do they?
      The beauty of the e92 in stock form is that it is fairy refined and yet, has good feel as well. It's a really balanced car from that perspective. The stuff that makes it refined is the stuff that fights against being visceral. I've owned the corrado for 20 yrs. And I completely agree with your assessment. I LOVE the styling of the corrado, but in stock form, the SLC version is a disappointment. I didn't like it much when pushed hard when I got it in 2000. In stock form, I prefer how the G60 drives (although, I'm a much bigger fan of the VR6 as an engine than the G60). My dad had a Corrado G60 and I learned to drive stick in it in HS---I had good fun in that car. The current state of my Corrado is quite different than stock---very stiff suspension for the street with a large solid RSB---the car will go sideways very easily. It has a peloquins LSD and a supercharger. I've removed about 100 lbs of weight from it as well. Athough the steering is much slower in the corrado than the m3, the corrado drives best when driven hard and it's not great when just puttering. The M3 drives well in all situations---probably has the best ride out of the cars I own (Hyundai, Jeep, said VW).

Vehicles
      2016 Mercedes S550
      09-14-2020 09:53 AM #34
      My car is the polar opposite of Visceral.

Sometimes, when the moon is right, the windows are down, and the air is cool, you can get a whisper of the turbos working, or the distant growl of a V8 winding out, but other than that, it's silent.

Wouldn't change a thing.

Vehicles
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      09-14-2020 10:08 AM #35
      I think my 280Z is an honorable mention in this thread. Besides the fuel injection and the power brakes its a very analog car. You feel every pebble on the road, kickback in the steering. And that roar of an inline 6 with a intake, 3-2 header, 2.5 inch pipe to an apexi n1 muffler.

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight / Lotus Elise SC
      09-14-2020 10:52 AM #36
      Qualifies

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-14-2020 12:25 PM #37
      The Bug could be more visceral if it had wider tires and more caster, but I think it qualifies. I'm certainly not 100% sold on it yet, though.

"Visceral" is definitely not the same thing as analog. My Ranger is analog, but not visceral. To take the example to the extreme, a '74 Buick is analog, but about as far from visceral as it gets!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      09-14-2020 12:28 PM #38
      I think the Scirocket is the most visceral car I've owned. The BRZ does a nice job, but it is still a street car. The wagon is very visceral for a hulking behemoth of a vehicle, but it is still a giant station wagon and visceral was very much an afterthought.

The most visceral car I've driven is a Formula Ford/Skip Barber. It was so easy to drive because I could feel everything. It was quite joyful to be that engaged with the road. Well, track actually. I remember being a bit afraid of it at first, and then realizing that it was so much easier than I expected.

I am comfortable saying that once you have driven something like a Formula car or at least a fully-prepped racecar, it is hard to compare other vehicles. Formula/prepped cars are orders of magnitude more visceral.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

09-14-2020 02:08 PM #39
      Whoever wrote that Hemmings article shouldn't have gotten that by the editor. That was a real POS. Improper usage of the word visceral.

It's what stirs your insides, in a primal way, that's visceral. Like if a car scares the cr*p out of you, constantly. The examples of a Lotus 7/Caterham, Formula SAE car, etc. are good examples. Or something like an AC Cobra. Or an _old_ race car, like the GP cars from the thirties to the fifties (fast, loud, could die at any moment).

I know that's highly subjective.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      09-14-2020 02:32 PM #40
      STI - I think it counts

Cmax - Nope, and sometimes that's exactly what you need
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      09-14-2020 02:38 PM #41
      I drive a large roller skate that likes to beep at me to find a Starbucks when I’ve been driving too long.

Short answer, no.

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-14-2020 02:39 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I think the Scirocket is the most visceral car I've owned. The BRZ does a nice job, but it is still a street car. The wagon is very visceral for a hulking behemoth of a vehicle, but it is still a giant station wagon and visceral was very much an afterthought.

The most visceral car I've driven is a Formula Ford/Skip Barber. It was so easy to drive because I could feel everything. It was quite joyful to be that engaged with the road. Well, track actually. I remember being a bit afraid of it at first, and then realizing that it was so much easier than I expected.

I am comfortable saying that once you have driven something like a Formula car or at least a fully-prepped racecar, it is hard to compare other vehicles. Formula/prepped cars are orders of magnitude more visceral.
      I think you have to fully separate street cars from race prepped and formula cars. The gap is just too wide. Even an AW11 MR2 tuned for autocrossing, which is a blast of a car, is going to seem soft compared to a true track car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

19. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      09-14-2020 02:41 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Taco1933 View Post
      I drive a large roller skate that likes to beep at me to find a Starbucks when I’ve been driving too long.
      but its a visceral attention assist beep!

Vehicles
      325ci, 325xi
      09-14-2020 02:52 PM #44
      The most visceral car I've had the pleasure of driving was a ~400whp evo 9
      with coilovers, an external wastegate, some decent tires. It was only a short drive but it felt like it was constantly on the edge of mayhem, and very mechanical feel to it.
      My track prepped e46 has a sense of occasion to it, feels like a racecar, vibrates like one, very mechanical feeling. However at this moment it's heavily biased towards handling ability, whereas the evo had a more potent mix of handling and power to give it that extra sense of exhilaration

21. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-14-2020 03:01 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      Cmax - Nope, and sometimes that's exactly what you need
      Yup. I love my Cayman and it's perfectly liveable. But after a full track weekend in it, the big/slow/cushy SUV is a honestly a delight.

Vehicles
      Some New and Old japanese cars and a Couple New and Old Fords
      09-14-2020 06:07 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Whoever wrote that Hemmings article shouldn't have gotten that by the editor. That was a real POS. Improper usage of the word visceral.

It's what stirs your insides, in a primal way, that's visceral. Like if a car scares the cr*p out of you, constantly. The examples of a Lotus 7/Caterham, Formula SAE car, etc. are good examples. Or something like an AC Cobra. Or an _old_ race car, like the GP cars from the thirties to the fifties (fast, loud, could die at any moment).

I know that's highly subjective.

basically this !

Excluding 2 wheeled death scooters, karts, full on racey race cars

The closest thing to a real "visceral" street car for me would have to be hopped up nascar engine swapped 1990 bmw 320 - no heater - driven in the dead of winter - downtown at about 2 am - on stock - basically bald tires, stock brakes, stock suspension. basically every stab of the gas is back end slidey out "holy crap i'm going to die - but this is awesome" excess tire smoke awesomeness

The owner i believe sold it for pristine 76 swallowtail rabbit with a vr6.

That was and probably always will be my favorite experience in a street car haha.

Vehicles
      09-14-2020 06:11 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I think you have to fully separate street cars from race prepped and formula cars. The gap is just too wide. Even an AW11 MR2 tuned for autocrossing, which is a blast of a car, is going to seem soft compared to a true track car.
      yup really no comparison between hitting a pothole, crack in the pavement and having a slight jiggle transmit into the chassis vs - fully caged race car where you hit a manhole in the road and you feel like you need to be wearing a hans device to prevent certain death !

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      09-14-2020 06:13 PM #48
      125cc shifter kart makes every street car feel like an aircraft carrier, sadly.

Vehicles
      09-14-2020 06:15 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      125cc shifter kart makes every street car feel like an aircraft carrier, sadly.
      100% agree. Formula 1 performance at 1/100000th the price

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, 987.1 Cayman S, Outback wagon
      09-14-2020 06:30 PM #50
      MK4 R32 and 987.1 Cayman S. Both would fit the bill I believe for regular production cars
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast