VWVortex.com - Trying to install a Sunvisor with Homelink in a 2006 Beetle Convertible
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Trying to install a Sunvisor with Homelink in a 2006 Beetle Convertible

1. 09-13-2020 09:55 PM #1
      Hi everyone!

I have a 2006 Beetle Convertible that came with a plain drivers side sun visor with a sliding mirror that turns on a light in the header when I slide the mirror cover.

I am trying to install a sun visor I purchased with HomeLink built in. The challenge as you might know is that the OEM visor has a 2 wire connector and the Homelink has a 3 wire connector.

The original 2 wire connector has a 12v positive and negative wire.

I made a little adapter to play with the 3 wires coming out of the new visor so I could try to figure out which wires power the HomeLink buttons and which would control the light.

What I found out is that I can power the homelink buttons with one wire positive and one wire negative. BUT there is no combination of wires with the new visor that I can turn the light on with sliding the door open. I know the switch works because I can measure 12 volts turn on and off when I slide the mirror door....just the light wont go on.

Does anyone know how to fix this so I can get the light and the homelink to work? Worst case I would rather have homelink working and will forego the light, but it would be nice if I could get both to work.

Thanks for your help!

Loren

Palatine, IL
      2006 Beetle Convertible

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      09-16-2020 01:03 AM #2