Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: RPM Drop 2nd Gear Auto Trans

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-14-2020 11:49 AM #1
      Hello all,

I’ve noticed that whenever I am accelerating from a near/full stop on 2nd gear, at 1500RPM the RPMs will drop slightly and bounce back up. Now if I am just accelerating from a near/full stop on 1st and shift to 2nd, there is no issue as the 2nd gear RPMs climb to 1500 and beyond. It seems to only be when I am driving at a low speed on 2nd... it has definitely been more audible to me since I installed an intake and exhaust this summer. Anyone have any insight in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5T
      09-15-2020 05:52 PM #2
      Are you shifting it into 2nd before take-off? If so, that is meant for low-traction situations like snow and it will keep RPM's low to promote traction.

Or, are you talking about it down-shifting into 2nd and it dropping off?

It could be a tuning issue if you added an air intake and exhaust without ECU re-mapping. Added a cat-back system from a reputable company that's tuned for the 2.5L usually will give you a little more power. BUT, if you cut-out the mid or rear muffler and added your own mufflers or changed the diameter of the pipe, sometimes this screws up factory exhaust scavenging and you'll lose low-end torque. The ECU may be trying to adjust the air/fuel ratio to make up for the extra load so there's a slight drop in RPM's and bounces back when it's adjusted.

Get a ECU & TCM tune, you wouldn't regret it anyway.

Just a thought..

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-15-2020 11:41 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.5T\/DUB View Post
      Are you shifting it into 2nd before take-off? If so, that is meant for low-traction situations like snow and it will keep RPM's low to promote traction.

Or, are you talking about it down-shifting into 2nd and it dropping off?

It could be a tuning issue if you added an air intake and exhaust without ECU re-mapping. Added a cat-back system from a reputable company that's tuned for the 2.5L usually will give you a little more power. BUT, if you cut-out the mid or rear muffler and added your own mufflers or changed the diameter of the pipe, sometimes this screws up factory exhaust scavenging and you'll lose low-end torque. The ECU may be trying to adjust the air/fuel ratio to make up for the extra load so there's a slight drop in RPM's and bounces back when it's adjusted.

Get a ECU & TCM tune, you wouldn't regret it anyway.

Just a thought..
      Yes, it is when I am driving at a low speed. An example would be when I am slowing down to turn around a corner and start accelerating at a low speed in 2nd rather than downshifting... it’ll happen then.

Would an ie stage 1 tune increase the rev limiter as well? Cause if it does then there would be no need for the trans tune.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5T
      09-16-2020 10:26 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by adam0624 View Post
      Yes, it is when I am driving at a low speed. An example would be when I am slowing down to turn around a corner and start accelerating at a low speed in 2nd rather than downshifting... it’ll happen then.

Would an ie stage 1 tune increase the rev limiter as well? Cause if it does then there would be no need for the trans tune.

Gotcha, yes a Stage 1 tune from IE will definitely help, many added bonuses over stock, but I would definitely not skip out on the TCM tune; faster shifts, no long 3rd gear, 6800 RPM shifts at WOT. You won't get the most out the RMP range without the TCM tune. A stock tranny will shift too soon and you won't get full power of the tune. It's worth it, anyone on VWVortex with the tune combo will tell you that.

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5T
      09-16-2020 10:33 AM #5
      Gotcha, yes a Stage 1 tune from IE will definitely help, many added bonuses over stock, but I would definitely not skip out on the TCM tune; faster shifts, no long 3rd gear, 6800 RPM shifts at WOT. You won't get the most out the RMP range without the TCM tune. A stock tranny will shift too soon and you won't get full power of the tune. It's worth it, anyone on VWVortex with the tune combo will tell you that.
      Obviously, you can still take advantage of some of the tune upgrades without the TCM tune, so don't get discouraged, both can be expensive at once, so getting the ECU tune and then the TCM tune later on is ok too.

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-16-2020 11:08 AM #6
      Obviously, you can still take advantage of some of the tune upgrades without the TCM tune, so don't get discouraged, both can be expensive at once, so getting the ECU tune and then the TCM tune later on is ok too.
      I didn’t realize it increased the shift speed as well. That’s definitely something to consider. Yeah getting that ECU stage 1 tune will be first priority to reconcile any issues concerning increased flow.

Vehicles
      2012 JSW 2.5
      09-16-2020 03:23 PM #7
      If the transmission or engine is not working correctly now, performance tuning might amplify the problem.

I think the best starting point is to make sure that the transmission fluid/filter has been properly changed every 50K. If not, have it changed immediately. If it was changed, I would make sure they used the correct fluid, which should be "T-WS" from a major brand, like Genuine VW or Ravenol. In addition, only get this done at the VW dealer or a shop dedicated to VWs or transmissions.

If the problem persisted, I would check for error codes with a code reader or have the place that changed the fluid/filter check it out.

When the car is running well in every aspect and you are ready to tune, I am quite pleased with the IE stage 1 and trans tunes. You don't have to do them at the same time as they stand alone quite well but they are better together.
      Last edited by JaxPlanet; 09-16-2020 at 03:26 PM.

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-16-2020 04:26 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by JaxPlanet View Post
      If the transmission or engine is not working correctly now, performance tuning might amplify the problem.

I think the best starting point is to make sure that the transmission fluid/filter has been properly changed every 50K. If not, have it changed immediately. If it was changed, I would make sure they used the correct fluid, which should be "T-WS" from a major brand, like Genuine VW or Ravenol. In addition, only get this done at the VW dealer or a shop dedicated to VWs or transmissions.

If the problem persisted, I would check for error codes with a code reader or have the place that changed the fluid/filter check it out.

When the car is running well in every aspect and you are ready to tune, I am quite pleased with the IE stage 1 and trans tunes. You don't have to do them at the same time as they stand alone quite well but they are better together.
      The manual says that the 09G uses a "lifetime" fluid that doesn't need to be changed... However, there are conflicting opinions on this. I recently had a 120k check and they did not replace the fluid - when I inquired about it, they said it wasn't necessary. The transmission shifts smoothly and there are really no other issues than the small rpm dip in 2nd gear at 1500. I will check for codes and report back.

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5T
      09-16-2020 05:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by adam0624 View Post
      The manual says that the 09G uses a "lifetime" fluid that doesn't need to be changed... However, there are conflicting opinions on this. I recently had a 120k check and they did not replace the fluid - when I inquired about it, they said it wasn't necessary. The transmission shifts smoothly and there are really no other issues than the small rpm dip in 2nd gear at 1500. I will check for codes and report back.

Ha, I'll let you in on a secret, "lifetime" fluid doesn't actually mean it will last the life of the vehicle, it only means it will last the length of the warranty. Every lubricant breaks down molecularly due to heat, there's no way around it.

Change the fluid/filter in an 09G/09M every 60K miles with OEM fluid if you want it to last. The valve body often shows its age after 100K miles, some sooner or later than others and depends on how hard you drive, but it's better to be safe than sorry. There is a fill-plug in the front to the left down by the pan, it's ironic how it looks exactly like the oil drain plug, you will have to purchase a flexible funnel, and you'll have to drop the pan to change the filter. Every dealer stocks 09G/09M OEM fluid and filters, or hit up USP Motorsports or ECS Tuning for a complete kit.

Vehicles
      2012 JSW 2.5
      09-17-2020 01:36 AM #10
      +1 to "lifetime" meaning the lifetime of the fluid, not you or the car.

As stated above, 60K is the lifetime of most modern transmission fluids. VW recommends 50K as a precaution because customers may put off service for a while or they might be hard on the transmission, like doing a lot of stop and go driving, carrying heavy loads and/or towing.

The VW dealer charged me $300 last fall for fluid/filter change and the DiY kit at Blauparts is $181.

Personally, I hate crawling around under jackstands so I was happy to pay the extra $119 to have VW do the job. They even gave me a loaner to drive while they did the service.

Here's the kit I referred to above and the "Related Helpful Info" tab in the description has excellent instructions you can download:
      https://www.blauparts.com/vw-jetta-a...kit-aisin.html

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-17-2020 10:55 AM #11
      I checked the ecu for any codes and nothing came up fortunately. However, it may be a good idea to look into changing the fluid at some point in the near future. I bought this car last year with about 103k miles on it. It’s been well maintained according to the vehicle history, but I don’t see anything in the history docs saying it had the transmission fluid changed. The order of importance for this car consists as follows:

Change fluid
      Install lowering springs
      Flash ECU

Update: I set up an appointment to have the trans flushed Monday.