Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snow tire advice - TCL hive knowledge requested

1. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-15-2020 11:57 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Blizzaks all day.
      I'm sure the Contis are fine, but yeah, definitely a huge Blizzak fan here. They've treated me so well in various forms for over a decade that I don't even consider other options. They're just consistently great tires, I'm racking my brain and over 8 or so sets I can't think of even one complaint for their intended use.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      09-15-2020 12:58 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I'm sure the Contis are fine, but yeah, definitely a huge Blizzak fan here. They've treated me so well in various forms for over a decade that I don't even consider other options. They're just consistently great tires, I'm racking my brain and over 8 or so sets I can't think of even one complaint for their intended use.
      Exactly. I keep buying them and they get better every generation. The DM-V2s that I have now are amazing on ice and in deep snow. It's insane how well they grip. An example: Last year we had an ice storm and we live in Appalachia so it is very hilly in our town. Everyone was stranded at the bottom of the hill that rises into our neighbourhood no matter what they drove, except for my Highlander on DM-V2s. Even with a marginal AWD system, I towed half a dozen vehicles including an F150 4WD up a road that was a struggle to walk up. Legendary tires on even an average vehicle mean you're almost unstoppable.

Here it is doing what it does best:

09-15-2020 01:03 PM #28
      Nokian Hakkapeliitta.

/thread

Vehicles
      84 GTI, 07 Civic, 17 Golf Sportwagen 4motion
      09-15-2020 01:06 PM #29
      I have the same car. I run 205/55-16 studless Gislaveds, have never had any issues, and we can get a ton of snow up here. I also prefer the higher sidewall over my summer 17s as the road tend to be 10x worse from frost heave and such over the winters. We have such crap roads it's unbelievable...3rd world level roads.

I run the VW OEM winter wheels from our previous Tiguan and the bonus is that they are 12mm greater offset so they are just flush with the fenders. I love the look.

Vehicles
      09-15-2020 01:11 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Nokian Hakkapeliitta.

/thread
      An absolute waste of money on a VW Sportwagen. If it were going on an E63S or something, then I'd agree but given the use-case, Blizzak.

09-15-2020 01:42 PM #31
      Just skimming this thread, but are folks actually saying they don't think NARROWER snow tires help? Because I think they definitely do.

It's why the pros do this in the snow:

09-15-2020 01:44 PM #32
      An absolute waste of money on a VW Sportwagen. If it were going on an E63S or something, then I'd agree but given the use-case, Blizzak.
      Interesting. I'd be curious to hear you compare and contrast Blizzaks with Hakkas. Are they better or worse?

Blizzak is the only brand I haven't tried over the years, I've done all the other big ones: Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Conti etc...

Vehicles
      09-15-2020 01:53 PM #33
      Interesting. I'd be curious to hear you compare and contrast Blizzaks with Hakkas. Are they better or worse?

Blizzak is the only brand I haven't tried over the years, I've done all the other big ones: Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Conti etc...
      Oh, I think the Hakkas are awesome tires, but they're considerably more expensive and aren't better as a snow/ice tire on a sedate car. On a high-performance car, I'd go Hakka for sure, but in terms of ride quality, availability, initial cost, the Blizzaks offer a better value I think. If I were to be silly enough to drive my old green car in the winter, it would get Hakkas. On your car, Hakkas. On a nice but reasonably tame car like the VW, Blizzaks make more sense in my mind.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-15-2020 02:00 PM #34
      Just skimming this thread, but are folks actually saying they don't think NARROWER snow tires help? Because I think they definitely do.

It's why the pros do this in the snow:

They are also using spiked tires.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-15-2020 02:09 PM #35
      Seems pretty obvious that narrower is better in deeper powdery snow and wider is better on packed snow

Also this is picking nits but Blizzak is not a brand

Also Hawk drives an R now, for about three years

12. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-15-2020 02:21 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      They are also using spiked tires.
      And can choose tires specifically for the condition. Don't get me wrong, In addition to the compound and tread, I think a 205 vs a 235 is going to help OP. But motorsport and daily driving is a pretty tough comparison to pull off.

09-15-2020 03:16 PM #37
      Oh, I think the Hakkas are awesome tires, but they're considerably more expensive and aren't better as a snow/ice tire on a sedate car. On a high-performance car, I'd go Hakka for sure, but in terms of ride quality, availability, initial cost, the Blizzaks offer a better value I think. If I were to be silly enough to drive my old green car in the winter, it would get Hakkas. On your car, Hakkas. On a nice but reasonably tame car like the VW, Blizzaks make more sense in my mind.
      Its funny as I only run Nokians as I think they are exceptional performers and are no more expensive than Blizzak/Conti/etc. In fact for 205/55/16 they're cheaper (WS80 vs Hakka R3):https://simpletire.com/catalog?selec...og&brand=11,69
      Current: 2017 Golf Alltrack w/is38 + FBOs
      Past: 2008 Passat VR6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Focus ST, 1998 Nissan Frontier, 94 Nissan Pickup, 2009 Rabbit, 2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO, 2006 GLI, 77 Rabbit 16v, 2000 GTI 1.8T, 86 Jetta Coupe VR6, 97 Audi A4 1.8TQ

09-15-2020 03:18 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Seems pretty obvious that narrower is better in deeper powdery snow and wider is better on packed snow. Also this is picking nits but Blizzak is not a brand. Also Hawk drives an R now, for about four years.
      Yup. Running 205/50/R17 Hakkas. in the winter on my 2017 Golf R.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-15-2020 03:24 PM #39
      https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...on#testResults

The Conti VikingContact 7s sound good to me for the Si.

I was really happy last winter with the Cooper Evolution Winter tires we put on the RAV4, really deep tread and they barely wore over their first season.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      I start where the warranty ends
      09-15-2020 04:37 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...on#testResults

The Conti VikingContact 7s sound good to me for the Si.

I was really happy last winter with the Cooper Evolution Winter tires we put on the RAV4, really deep tread and they barely wore over their first season.
      Was just doing a path looking for another set of winter tires, and the VikingContact's were at the top of my list. I run the WinterContactSI on my M3 (and had them on my R), and they have been my all time favorite snow/winter tire.

Alas, I couldn't get the size I needed, so I'll be trying out the Blizzak-DMV2 this winter on the middle car.

In other tire news, I also am trying a "three snow flake winter rated" all season on my truck. Had previously run studded Hakka's on a similar vehicle. But, again, due to size, and wheel setups, am going to try a winter oriented all season. If this doesn't work I'll snag another set of wheels and go back to big studded tires for winter on the 6000lb truck.

Truck: General Grabber A/TX - E
      Mid-SUV: Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2
      Small car: Continental WinterContact SI

Vehicles
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-15-2020 04:56 PM #41
      Disagree. I had Blizzaks on a set of wheels/tires I bought from my brother last Fall for my Sportwagen and didn't like the way they handled in the snow and especially wet snow or slush at all. It seemed clear to me they are more biased towards dry road driving than many other snows I have had. That was nice when it wasn't snowing but unnerving to me when the **** hit the fan and I was an hour or more from home driving in deep heavy snow. I ended up getting them taken off mid season and buying some Nokians and was much happier for the rest of the winter.

My mom also had Blizzaks but last winter sprang for studded Hakka's on her Allroad and said it is night and day in winter driving conditions. She is a believer for life.

I remember pretty much every Saab 900 back in the day seemed to be on Hakkas up here in the winter.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      09-15-2020 05:03 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post

I also don't see the point of taller sidewalls, for what, potholes? Pothole season starts in February here and lasts all summer before they are filled, so tall sidewall snows aren't going to provide some magical benefit for that either. Roads here are equally garbage all year for the most part.
      I'd just like to gloat that the street our house is on just received mill and overlay that was past due for 10 years and had been scheduled and rescheduled the past 4 (St. Paul Public Works). Driving on it is truly an experience like when Lightning McQueen repaved Main Street in Radiator Springs.

I'm going to cringe the first time I hear a plow blade scrape across that surface.

Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS
      09-15-2020 05:14 PM #43
      +1 for hakka's ... they also have a all-weather tire, think snowtires you can drive year round ... I've had blizzaks, xice's, dunlops, sotto's, alpin's etc and sofar the Hakka's have been as good if not the best. Don't get a winter performance tire. Pick the size that saves you the most amount of money, i.e. 225/50/16 might be more expensive than a 215/55/16 or 205/65/16.. same sh*t just slightly different packaging .. .for winter, you usually want to go 1-2 sizes narrower so you can cut through the fluff easier. I'd probably put 215/65/16s on .. it'll feel weird when you first put them on but ...

just an FYI, 215/55/16 is identical diameter as 235/45/17. I generally check surrounding sizes to see what the best price is.

Good luck!
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-15-2020 06:28 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      +1 for hakka's ... they also have a all-weather tire, think snowtires you can drive year round ... I've had blizzaks, xice's, dunlops, sotto's, alpin's etc and sofar the Hakka's have been as good if not the best. Don't get a winter performance tire. Pick the size that saves you the most amount of money, i.e. 225/50/16 might be more expensive than a 215/55/16 or 205/65/16.. same sh*t just slightly different packaging .. .for winter, you usually want to go 1-2 sizes narrower so you can cut through the fluff easier. I'd probably put 215/65/16s on .. it'll feel weird when you first put them on but ...

just an FYI, 215/55/16 is identical diameter as 235/45/17. I generally check surrounding sizes to see what the best price is.

Good luck!
      What's wrong with a winter performance tire? I've run them before in many blizzards without issues.

Nokian WR G series start out as a winter performance tire, which the WR G4 is based on the WR A4

Nokian wr G4 SUV by thisistan, on Flickr

vs...
      https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-a4/

and the old WR G3 were
      8D1626A5-8E61-4415-8BB8-BB389B649982_zpswimatpxd by thisistan, on Flickr

WR A3
      https://alltyretests.com/nokian-wr-a3-test-review/

and WR D3
      https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-d3/
      Last edited by BsickPassat; 09-15-2020 at 06:39 PM.
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS
      09-15-2020 06:44 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      What's wrong with a winter performance tire? I've run them before in many blizzards without issues.
      It's clearly better than any all season tire, but its suited best for regions with less snowfall and more cold weather and not a lot of packed snow. I've used them plenty and know their limitations. Dedicated snow tires are more squishy and handle the snow and ice much better at cost of "performance" so they aren't as fun to drive on in the winter.

He's asking for proper winter tires and that was my input. If you disagree, so be it. But your WRG tires are a better all season tire geared towards the snow performance.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

22. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-15-2020 06:59 PM #46
      It's clearly better than any all season tire, but its suited best for regions with less snowfall and more cold weather and not a lot of packed snow. I've used them plenty and know their limitations. Dedicated snow tires are more squishy and handle the snow and ice much better at cost of "performance" so they aren't as fun to drive on in the winter.

He's asking for proper winter tires and that was my input. If you disagree, so be it. But your WRG tires are a better all season tire geared towards the snow performance.
      Pretty much. Performance winters aren't as bad as a lot of people say and they'll preserve some steering feel and whatnot. But ultimately this is how I'd make the split:

2" of snow in the work parking lot the most you'd regularly see? Performance winters are probably a better choice.

A couple times a year finish skiing a pow day and head back to an un-plowed lot with 8-10" on the car and the gravel?* Oh how you'll be happy to have the studless.

*Probably doesn't apply to the big resorts. But some of my favorite mountains are the ones where it's the owners or their kids selling you the lift tickets.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      09-15-2020 07:34 PM #47
      The quote about Hakkas being too good for a Sportwagen is laughable. Anyone who has to drive in real winter conditions will explore the limits of tire grip, intentionally or not. It doesn't matter how sporting your car is, having the best winter tires you can get is a wise purchase IMO. I ran the Hakka R2's on my Alltrack and am very happy I paid the extra $200 to get them over a lesser winter tire.

Yup. Running 205/50/R17 Hakkas. in the winter on my 2017 Golf R.
      Aren't they a bit small? I'm running 225/50R17 Hakka R2's on my R, they are the wheels and tires I had on my Alltrack. I was thinking they would be a bit taller than the factory 235/35R19 tires but when I test fit one on the front I had them side by side and the outside diameter was identical as far as I could tell. I can't wait until our first snow day this winter to give them a go!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-15-2020 07:39 PM #48

Technically a performance winter tire is a full winter tire.

The OP isn't living in the Sierras, where he might take full advantage of a Nordic studless tire. That probably means he lives somewhere much warmer and above the upper temperature limit of a full winter tire. I'll take the performance winter for better road manners and hydroplaning resistance during the 60-70 degree temperature during the week and take a hit in the snow and ice during the weekends. Squirmy tires in warm weather isn't confidence inspiring. and the tread pattern to pack snow into the tire for snow on snow traction is horrible for hydroplaning resistance

And that's what I did, replacing my Nitto SN2 Nordic studless with Nokian WR G4 (SUV), since Los Angeles winter doesn't get cold, until I head to the mountains, whether it is to Mammoth or head east to Bear Mountain. And last winter the WR G4 did just fine in the storm as the mountains closed fr CO-VID

Plus, if the conditions are truly that bad, caltrans will make you put chains on, even with AWD and winter tires.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion

09-15-2020 07:44 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      My mom also had Blizzaks but last winter sprang for studded Hakka's on her Allroad and said it is night and day in winter driving conditions. She is a believer for life.
      Hahah, I don't doubt it. You can't compare regular Blizzaks to STUDDED winter tires.

09-15-2020 07:46 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Aren't they a bit small? I'm running 225/50R17 Hakka R2's on my R
      Definitely. Intentionally narrow. Wanted pizza cutters.

Does anyone know if the Hakka R3 is the 'sportiest' winter tire they sell? For mostly dry roads in the city?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast