VWVortex.com - Racetracks, noise and their local residents - Is there any solution?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Racetracks, noise and their local residents - Is there any solution?

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      09-15-2020 05:58 AM #1
      At least here in Quebec, we're losing our local racetracks at an alarming pace, in part due to lack of finance and interest, but almost more importantly due to pressures to close from the municipalities. Local residents are the squeaky wheels and every last one of our circuits have had to endure thousands of complaints about noise pollution over their lifespan.

Now in my point of view, these racetracks have been operating for far longer than most of these residents have been alive, which begs the question "why the **** would you move close to a racetrack if you feel so strongly against the noise they inevitably create?" But if we look past that, are there any solutions your local racetracks have used to try and please their locals? Do sound barriers and dense vegetation do reasonable jobs @ dulling the harshness of motorsports? What works in the US at easing the sound complaints? Or are you seeing the same endless back-and-forth between track and squeaky wheel?

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

09-15-2020 07:04 AM #2
      Laguna Seca simply made much lower dB levels a requirement to use the track.
      They might have a literal handfull of less restrictive events on the calendar, but google search for Laguna Exhaust to see what participants need to do to meet their regulation.

Now the odd bit to me is --- if we just had a lower sound limit everywhere, it would not be that hard to design an effective muffler system into the cars to begin with. At very little power loss.
      Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp / 1986 Golf Custom
      2019 DT Ram 5.7 16V / 2005 E-450 motor home 6.8 20V
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Current - '19 GLI AB 6MT; Dead - '10 S4 6MT; Gone - '01 S4 6MT
      09-15-2020 08:00 AM #3
      Lime Rock has been fighting for the right to race on Sundays for years due to some old rule that prioritizes church services. The track is literally in the middle of the woods with like 25 houses within a mile of the track and there are still complaints, issues, and yearly debates. Basically, outside of major races, those DB limiters are the only way it seems, otherwise, they would never survive.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      09-15-2020 08:00 AM #4
      Yeah, we have the same at Waterford Hills. 75dB.

The exhaust solutions are equally hilarious. Most drivers bring a 45° downturn with a slit in it and slip it on for the day. Some add extra glas-packs a la the LS situation. It can get very funny looking.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

5. Senior Member
      09-15-2020 08:15 AM #5
      Lime Rock park (CT) used to not race on Sundays. I just did a search, and it looks like Sunday racing is in the courts.

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...t-14830643.php

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Current - '19 GLI AB 6MT; Dead - '10 S4 6MT; Gone - '01 S4 6MT
      09-15-2020 08:19 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      Lime Rock park (CT) used to not race on Sundays. I just did a search, and it looks like Sunday racing is in the courts.

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...t-14830643.php
      Thanks for posting that. Lime Rock feels they need Sunday races to survive, but a 60 year old agreement is at issue. This is scary:

If the citizens council and the zoning commission win their appeal, overturning his right to race on Sunday, Barber said he’ll stop hosting professional races altogether.

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      09-15-2020 09:02 AM #7
      Solution: Electric cars.

8. Member
      09-15-2020 08:15 AM #8
      Alcohol is a solution.

Slightly related...DIA in Denver was built 25 years ago in what was then a bunch of farm fields. There was a small racetrack nearby called Second Creek. Over the years, housing developments got closer and closer until finally Second Creek closed. Now, housing developments and industrial warehouse parks along I-70/E-470 are being built right under the incoming flight paths for DIA runways. I predict within another 10 years, DIA will look like Midway in Chicago

09-15-2020 12:18 PM #9
      My moms uncle opened a dirt track raceway up in 1956 and constantly battled local residents on noise, dust etc. until he passed away in the early 00's. He built it on farmland, it started getting developed in the 90's and soon after complaints started rolling in. The track finally closed and was demolished a few years back because of completely unrelated circumstances. But overall, I agree with your point of view.

On an unrelated but related note, I work in construction/development and for some stupid ass reason everyone in my city has started building and moving into an industrial district. Most of the industry has since moved to other parts of town and cashed out on their real estate, but two large chicken processing plants remain. Literally every time I'm in the land development and permitting office I hear people bitching about the smell and when is the city going to make them move. They've been there for years, and most of their employees come from the nearby communities and rely on bus transportation. It kills me, people are so stupid.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-15-2020 02:11 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      On an unrelated but related note, I work in construction/development and for some stupid ass reason everyone in my city has started building and moving into an industrial district. Most of the industry has since moved to other parts of town and cashed out on their real estate, but two large chicken processing plants remain. Literally every time I'm in the land development and permitting office I hear people bitching about the smell and when is the city going to make them move. They've been there for years, and most of their employees come from the nearby communities and rely on bus transportation. It kills me, people are so stupid.
      They bought what they thought they wanted not what they actually wanted. And instead of taking responsibility for it, clearly it must be someone else's fault.

11. Member
      09-15-2020 02:26 PM #11
      When Byron (then Rockford) Dragway first opened in the 60s, nothing was around.

The track closed for years until it was reopened about 30 years ago. However, a small city had popped up around the track. The track owner played nice by the rules the city laid out saying to be done racing by 6pm and no week nights. But the track was always allowed to race until 11pm on most nights but never put in lights.

After a few run ins with the law about his races going past 6pm, he took them to court and won. They now have a select few Friday night races and some weekend races go until 10 or 11pm.

Sadly, he passed away and the current owner wants to sell.
      Boiler Up!

12. Semi-n00b
      09-15-2020 02:52 PM #12
      I also believe its because people will just complain, with or without merit, and tracks are a very easy target. Gotta poop all over everyone else to feel better about yourself kinda deal.

I have family that lives in the same general area (but not anywhere near) NJMP (which is also right next to an airport). The track closes at something like 7 or 8pm because of noise issues. These people know I go to the track, and I dont think it ever really bothered them, but one day while I was over they tried to convince me about how loud and disruptive it is. We are hanging outside at something like 10pm, and every time some bikers or fart can car blasted down the main road I would get "SEE SEE!!!! ITS SO LOUD, YOU CAN HEAR THEM ALL THE WAY OUT HERE!!!" "The track is closed. There is nothing going on over there, that is just street traffic." "But how do you know! Who is making sure they arent racing right now! Thats so much noise it has to be the race track! Someone needs to do something about it."