VWVortex.com - Yet another "what should I buy" thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Results 1 to 25 of 25

    Thread: Yet another "what should I buy" thread

    1. Member Karl_1340's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2017
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,107
      Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      09-15-2020 09:27 AM #1
      I love my ATS, and it was a good car for the family until recently.
      I got it when my daughter was 2, and she fit fine facing backwards. At three, she was front facing and still fit fine. Now she is almost 5, and is getting too big to fit with her car seat.
      She is not ready for a booster seat yet, so it looks like I will need a car with more room inside.
      I have narrowed it down to 3 finalists(really 2, more later). All sedans, all 360-370hp, similar fuel mileage and around $50K CDN

      #1 2020 Dodge Charger R/T
      Pros:
      - V8 noises
      -$7500 off right now
      - roomiest car of the bunch

      Cons
      - Peg leg rear, with no LSD options
      - old design/chassis


      #2 2020 Cadillac CT5-V
      Pros
      - newest of the bunch
      - best service(free oil changes, loaner cars, etc)

      Cons
      - it will be a base model, only sunroof and paint options


      Kia Stinger
      - supposed to be a fantastic car to drive
      - Roomy
      - good tech

      Cons
      - Kia
      - It looks like a cat fish humped a pickle

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member burgerbob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2020
      Posts
      324
      Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      09-15-2020 09:54 AM #2
      TTRS.




      I'd go with the Caddy. Its the coolest and it's not FCA or a Kia. No brainer for me really...

      Other options could be a Passat R-line or Arteon if you wanted AWD. Both super cool "Dad-mobiles" with decent warranty.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

      ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2012
      Location
      MI
      Posts
      5,593
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-15-2020 10:31 AM #3
      OP, you have some great options in this space. If you wait a little, the new TLX could make your list. And if you don't mind old infotainment, an Infiniti Q50 Sport or RS400 would work.

      Also, I love your ATS! I'd think hard about buying it if I lived in CA.

    5. Member NotFast's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      Chicago area, IL
      Posts
      2,665
      09-15-2020 10:36 AM #4
      Are you planning more kids?

      Are you only considering new vehicles?

    6. Member PlatinumGLS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2003
      Location
      Shelby Township, MI
      Posts
      18,286
      Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4, 5.7 & 2.0T
      09-15-2020 10:37 AM #5
      I'd vote for the Charger if you spring for the Scat Pack.
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 | 2018 RAM 1500 | 2000 Cobalt 246 w/454 Mag MPI

    7. Member sicklyscott's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 24th, 2002
      Location
      Metuchen, NJ
      Posts
      4,198
      Vehicles
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      09-15-2020 10:42 AM #6
      Out of those 3, I'd pick the Stinger. The HEMI motor seems to have its fair share of problems that FCA just doesn't care about addressing and a base CTS-V would leave me wanting more. That leaves only the KIA left.

      I don't see much requirements in your post except back seat room. Must it be new? I'm guessing you want some sporty-ness in it?

      My thoughts:
      - Used Chevy SS - had one, more than enough backseat room
      - F80 M3 - you'd be surprised at the backseat room in those. Used 2015 can be found for 40's.
      - E43 AMG - I happen to really like the styling of these. Not sure where that sits in your budget (based on comments, most likely out)
      The car that started it all! A work log and tale of tears (from my wallet)
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...lass-work-log)

    8. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,742
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-15-2020 10:56 AM #7
      I mean far be it for me to try and talk someone out of a new car, but...you could probably just try a smaller car seat. There are forward-only (non convertible) 5-pt car seats that are more compact than the big bulky convertible.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    9. Member Karl_1340's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2017
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,107
      Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      09-15-2020 11:14 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      TTRS.




      I'd go with the Caddy. Its the coolest and it's not FCA or a Kia. No brainer for me really...

      Other options could be a Passat R-line or Arteon if you wanted AWD. Both super cool "Dad-mobiles" with decent warranty.
      No FWD based cars, and AWD is part of the disdain for the Stinger.

      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I'd vote for the Charger if you spring for the Scat Pack.
      Scat Pack is $10K(+tax) above the R/T and in the real world the R/T has enough power.

      Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      Out of those 3, I'd pick the Stinger. The HEMI motor seems to have its fair share of problems that FCA just doesn't care about addressing and a base CTS-V would leave me wanting more. That leaves only the KIA left.

      I don't see much requirements in your post except back seat room. Must it be new? I'm guessing you want some sporty-ness in it?

      My thoughts:
      - Used Chevy SS - had one, more than enough backseat room
      - F80 M3 - you'd be surprised at the backseat room in those. Used 2015 can be found for 40's.
      - E43 AMG - I happen to really like the styling of these. Not sure where that sits in your budget (based on comments, most likely out)
      We never got the Chevy SS in Canada, and the M3/E43 would be over 5-7 years old to get into the 40-50K bracket here.

      I want new, so I have a warranty that will cover the 5-6 years I will be paying for it.
      When I got my Cadillac, I was shopping for used ATSs that were 4-5 years old, and with repair/maintenance costs, and high interest rates, along with lots of incentives on new cars, it was about the same cost to buy a new car with a warranty.(I just didn't get a high trim level, which I am fine with)


      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I mean far be it for me to try and talk someone out of a new car, but...you could probably just try a smaller car seat. There are forward-only (non convertible) 5-pt car seats that are more compact than the big bulky convertible.
      Even with a smaller seat, the kid is growing and it is a small backseat area with not great ingress/egress.
      Last edited by Karl_1340; 09-15-2020 at 11:23 AM.

    10. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      12,279
      Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      09-15-2020 11:17 AM #9
      Stinger. For the price, you'll have tons of tech, and most importantly, you get a hatch.

      Different than these, but would you consider a Civic Type R as well?

    11. Member PlatinumGLS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2003
      Location
      Shelby Township, MI
      Posts
      18,286
      Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4, 5.7 & 2.0T
      09-15-2020 11:17 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post
      Scat Pack is $10K(+tax) above the R/T and in the real world the R/T has enough power.
      Don't test drive the Scat Pack if you are planning on getting the R/T (my last car was a Challenger Scat Pack 6-speed). With that said, you would be happy with any of these three options. How about a used CT6?
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 | 2018 RAM 1500 | 2000 Cobalt 246 w/454 Mag MPI

    12. Member burgerbob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2020
      Posts
      324
      Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      09-15-2020 11:18 AM #11
      So... Cadillac it is then! You won't even have to change your avatar
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

      ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      4,422
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-15-2020 11:22 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Stinger. For the price, you'll have tons of tech, and most importantly, you get a hatch.
      Yeah, those cars are cool. And IMHO they look pretty good in black. Kind of car that makes people go 'ooh, what is that?' Stinger gets my vote.

    14. Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      7,915
      Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS
      09-15-2020 11:57 AM #13
      Caddy inside and out ... it's new, and probably way more comfortable than either ... Kia, looks plain inside (see Doug DeMuro's review LOL) and will age worse than others. The Charger is cool but damn 4300lbs or whatever it is ... it's gonna be a boat ... and holy old platform batman ...
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    15. Member davewg's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2001
      Location
      NJ near Philly - for the steaks!
      Posts
      5,389
      Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      09-15-2020 11:58 AM #14
      Honestly, if it were me I'd probably get the Charger....as much as I hate the cheapy feeling of the dash (especially on the pax side) I just don't feel the latest Caddys.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

    16. Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      9,392
      Vehicles
      crusty S'charged AW11, R32 Skyline GTS-T, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata
      09-15-2020 11:59 AM #15
      Of the options and sticking with new, Cadillac
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    17. Senior Member Wimbledon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 25th, 2005
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      22,286
      09-15-2020 12:21 PM #16
      Has FCA announced when the Charger is getting UConnect 5? I'd choose the Charger in one of the cool colours FCA offers.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

    18. Member Karl_1340's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2017
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,107
      Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      09-15-2020 12:54 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Stinger. For the price, you'll have tons of tech, and most importantly, you get a hatch.

      Different than these, but would you consider a Civic Type R as well?
      I think the CTR would be similar in size to the ATS.

      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      So... Cadillac it is then! You won't even have to change your avatar
      That seems to be the brain choice, but the heart choice is wanting the Charger(in Go Mango with Daytona package).

    19. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      12,279
      Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      09-15-2020 12:58 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post
      I think the CTR would be similar in size to the ATS.
      Likely only the exterior. The interior is larger, since it's fwd and "cab forward" and shorter dash to axle. I want to say the rear legroom is a decent amount larger, and the trunk/hatch is huge, almost wagon like.

    20. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      25,717
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-15-2020 01:11 PM #19
      How much is a CPO Audi A7? If you can get one with the 3.0 supercharged motor that might be my pick over the above options.

    21. Member Bibs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2001
      Location
      SW Ontario
      Posts
      1,930
      Vehicles
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      09-15-2020 09:39 PM #20
      I looked at the Stinger, and while it is a cool car, it felt like any other modern car. And the style is odd. But it would make a good family car.

      I’m a middle aged Midwest guy, with memories of driving big American cars. The charger and Challenger feel different, which is a turn off for many. But they are fun, if you appreciate them for who they are built for.
      The V8 is fun, the car has lots of room, and it doesn’t try to drive Euro.

      $13k off sealed the deal for me, but I always loved the Challenger. my kids are older, and I didn’t need the back seat room.



      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    22. Senior Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      20,564
      Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      09-15-2020 10:07 PM #21
      Just FYI I was browsing FCA’s sale deals tonight and honestly there isn’t a lot of Charger inventory in Ontario right now. I wouldn’t get my heart set on one, unless you want a $90K Daytona edition. For some reason (can’t imagine) there’s plenty of those

      Surprised the CT5-V is that cheap. I remember how much the CTS used to start at. 0% for 84 too so certainly makes a case for itself.

      IIRC Stinger is lower than the others (stance, ground clearance, roofline). Not sure if that would be less practical with the kiddo & Ottawa winters.

      Other than that, if you do still want a manual, the most recent thing in this class that’s not a WRX or Si/TypeR that I’ve found seems to be the 2016 BMW 340i with the B58 & xDrive. Seems roomier than an ATS or G70. A couple examples around for as low as $35K.

    23. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      3,055
      Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      09-15-2020 10:16 PM #22
      I'll be that guy. Model 3 SR+. $53k Cad minus the $5,000 rebate putting it at $48k Cad. Safe, fast, RWD, and the best driver of the bunch.

      Not sure what your commute is if at all, or future planned trips, but an EV in the winter is great. We live not far from you in Vermont which is essentially Canada (please take us) and have similar winter hardships. Some things to note. You'll never have to scrape snow or ice off the car again. Maybe the hood a little if it builds. Because the car can stay warm always and even heat up inside the garage, this is a game changer in the winter. Instant heat when you get in and driveaway. No more waiting a few seconds to 1:00+ for it to "settle".
      Last edited by Tommietank; 09-15-2020 at 10:22 PM.
      Slow Car Fast

    24. Member Karl_1340's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2017
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,107
      Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      09-21-2020 11:25 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      I'll be that guy. Model 3 SR+. $53k Cad minus the $5,000 rebate putting it at $48k Cad. Safe, fast, RWD, and the best driver of the bunch.

      Not sure what your commute is if at all, or future planned trips, but an EV in the winter is great. We live not far from you in Vermont which is essentially Canada (please take us) and have similar winter hardships. Some things to note. You'll never have to scrape snow or ice off the car again. Maybe the hood a little if it builds. Because the car can stay warm always and even heat up inside the garage, this is a game changer in the winter. Instant heat when you get in and driveaway. No more waiting a few seconds to 1:00+ for it to "settle".
      I looked at the Model 3 and it is a nice car, and very practial, but rear seat room is not much bigger than the ATS, plus their finance options are terrible

    25. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2004
      Location
      Los Gatos, CA
      Posts
      21,822
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-21-2020 12:00 PM #24
      If you're looking at sedans I would caution you to buy brand new or at least consider resale of barely used sedans. Lots of depreciation in this sector at the moment. You might be able to buy a sub 10K mile barely used car for a substantial discount plus CPO warranty on top of it.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

    26. Member Karl_1340's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2017
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,107
      Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      Yesterday 10:08 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      If you're looking at sedans I would caution you to buy brand new or at least consider resale of barely used sedans. Lots of depreciation in this sector at the moment. You might be able to buy a sub 10K mile barely used car for a substantial discount plus CPO warranty on top of it.
      Not in Canada. Before I bought my Cadillac I was looking at Charger R/Ts. The market was flooded with them from rental fleets at the time and they were all in the low $30Ks. Now 2017 RTs are selling for low $30K range.
      Plus Dodge is offering $7500 off 2020 Chargers, with the spec I am looking at being around $42K. With 2.99% on new(5.99% on used), and a warranty, new is a no brainer up here.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.