VWVortex.com - Caddy Leaf Bushings Upgrade?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Caddy Leaf Bushings Upgrade?

09-15-2020 10:04 AM #1
      Does anybody have any experience with Missing Linkz Bushing kit for the caddy leaf suspension.

I currently have the middle leaf flipped to stiffen up the rear. I have played with different pressure settings on the rear air shocks and there is still this very vague soft feeling in the back. The bushings themselves look so soft and worn out. I wanted to know if it was worth buying these bushings. The cost is about $150-160
      IG: @pikmeup_vr6

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-15-2020 10:23 AM #2
      I just bought a kit myself. Really nice solid piece. I have it installed but waiting on drop plates for my big brake upgrade before I can test them on the road.
      1981 VW Caddy with 1.8T swap

09-15-2020 10:46 AM #3
      so you have not yet driven the truck with them?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-15-2020 12:58 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Elvir2 View Post
      so you have not yet driven the truck with them?
      This is correct. My old ones were terrible and I have installed the new ones and by all account they seems to be much better.
      1981 VW Caddy with 1.8T swap

09-15-2020 02:10 PM #5
      got it, let me know how they feel for you when you install them. I would really love to know.

Secondly, I was reading that you would have to remove the leaf spring entirely to remove the front bushing as they are really pressed in there. Was that the case for you, and if so what method did you utilize to push them out.

Vehicles
      RIP81. 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP, 82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      09-15-2020 08:43 PM #6
      removal is same as rabbit rear beam bushings
      burn em out or cut the lips off and press them out

as with rabbit rear beam bushings
      the outside probally looks tired and bad
      but more than likely the rubber inside the metal housing is just fine and doing its job

example:

Vehicles
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      09-15-2020 08:45 PM #7
      I know mokoosh has a good write up on his leaf spring bushings in his thread nonsmkr

Personally I am loving my Toyota helper leaf spring.
      It didn’t raise the truck a ton, but it is so much more stable.

I was amazed that the original bushings were actually in excellent shape.

I imagine you could do bushings with a ball joint press and maybe a trip to the hardware store for some all thread.
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

10. Member
      09-15-2020 11:07 PM #8
      Everything webcrawlr/missinglinkz/Roger makes is awesome.

2/5 of the Way from San-Fran to Port-Land
      Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      09-16-2020 02:23 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      2nd that.
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      facebook...pfft. vwvortex baby!
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY
      My Butte Whip: 82 Jetta Build
      perpetual online swap-meet(V2.3 FSOT: GTI Ashtray)

09-16-2020 08:31 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by mokoosh View Post
      2nd that.
      Yep, he's a mad scientist.
      You should see inside his garage.

Vehicles
      88 Milano Verde, 13 Abarth, 04 Maserati Coupe 6MT, 04 Passat wag 4mo 5MT, 19 Alltrack 6MT, 81 Caddy
      09-16-2020 11:02 AM #11
      I installed the Missing Linkz shackle bushings on my Caddy. He got them out way faster than he estimated - it was like a week from ordering. I love when people under promise and over deliver.

He uses a piece of heat shrink on the OD to accommodate the two different IDs of the leafs. I would measure yours and message him to see if he can just make yours to the right size - mine were the larger size and I don't love the application of heat shrink there, but they'll work.

Another note is that once installed, your original bolts, which have a step down from the shank to the threads, will be too long for the shackles to mate properly with the bushings. This can be solved by ordering bolts (or providing your own) and drilling out the smaller holes on your shackles. I hate drilling original stuff for some reason, but it works fine.

Price is reasonable given that he's a small shop. I like supporting people who sell stuff like that. Would definitely recommend, just see notes above.

09-16-2020 11:18 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by fourmotioneer View Post
      I installed the Missing Linkz shackle bushings on my Caddy. He got them out way faster than he estimated - it was like a week from ordering. I love when people under promise and over deliver.

He uses a piece of heat shrink on the OD to accommodate the two different IDs of the leafs. I would measure yours and message him to see if he can just make yours to the right size - mine were the larger size and I don't love the application of heat shrink there, but they'll work.

Another note is that once installed, your original bolts, which have a step down from the shank to the threads, will be too long for the shackles to mate properly with the bushings. This can be solved by ordering bolts (or providing your own) and drilling out the smaller holes on your shackles. I hate drilling original stuff for some reason, but it works fine.

Price is reasonable given that he's a small shop. I like supporting people who sell stuff like that. Would definitely recommend, just see notes above.
      thanks for the feedback.. I think more than anything i wanted to know how much difference is noted from the installation. If as mentioned above, the bushing ends look rotten, but insides of factory bushings are just fine even if they are old, is it still worth the effort to swap these out. I do want to make the truck feel as firm and hand as best as possible. And if nothing notable is noticed after install then why bother.

Vehicles
      88 Milano Verde, 13 Abarth, 04 Maserati Coupe 6MT, 04 Passat wag 4mo 5MT, 19 Alltrack 6MT, 81 Caddy
      09-16-2020 04:38 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Elvir2 View Post
      thanks for the feedback.. I think more than anything i wanted to know how much difference is noted from the installation. If as mentioned above, the bushing ends look rotten, but insides of factory bushings are just fine even if they are old, is it still worth the effort to swap these out. I do want to make the truck feel as firm and hand as best as possible. And if nothing notable is noticed after install then why bother.
      I would imagine that it's worth the effort as far as locating the rear axle goes, yeah. That said, my Caddy doesn't drive yet, so not sure if the end result feels any better