VWVortex.com - Rain-X, Aquapel, Rain-X Washer fluid: What do you use?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain-X, Aquapel, Rain-X Washer fluid: What do you use?

1. 09-15-2020 11:43 AM #1
      I've tried Rain-x (original formula) and Aquapel and really didn't notice any difference except for a lighter wallet when I bought Aquapel. I was wondering how well the Rain-X washer fluid works, as that is certainly easier to use. I used up my last Aquapel, so I need to stock up with something. Is there anything newer/better out there now?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      09-15-2020 11:51 AM #2
      I've been using the orange Rain-X washer fluid for about 6mo, it's not as good as a freshly applied coat of Rain-X but it's also easy to reapply and keep at a constant quality (just use the window sprayer). It's well worth the minimal cost and effort for reasonably good results, as opposed to Rain-X which is more effort especially if it's raining outside and the results degrade fairly quickly.

4. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-15-2020 11:55 AM #3
      In the days of my Mk IIIs I used Rain-X washer fluid. It made the lower seal below the windshield turn into soft crumbly gum. At least I've always assumed it was the Rain-X stuff. I haven't used it since. It worked pretty well as Rain-X with no rubbing, though. I was impressed until it came apart. Fortunately the seal had some mysterious purpose, as it was outside and below the windshield and the loss of it didn't cause water leaks.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW S 4motion, 1991 VW GTI 1.8t, 2012 Mazda 5 Sport, 1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
      09-15-2020 11:57 AM #4
      I despise the way it stains the plastic of the washer fluid tank. I WILL NOT USE.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-15-2020 11:58 AM #5
      For real

Vehicles
      2012 A4; 2014 4Runner
      09-15-2020 12:12 PM #6
      I think there was another thread here that recommended the pre-stone washing fluid.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-15-2020 12:13 PM #7
      None of the above.

My wipers always chattered with glass treatments and found it too annoying

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Vehicles
      2020 Civic Type R, 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      09-15-2020 12:18 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      None of the above.

Same. It drove me crazy. I haven't used any of that stuff in years.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

09-15-2020 12:34 PM #9
      Wax your windsheild every time you wax your car, or more often if the wipers are wearing it off.

Or, do what I did and get the entire car ceramic coated. I don't even turn my wipers on anymore.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL P, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      09-15-2020 12:38 PM #10
      Standard Rain-X here.

Reminds me I need to re-apply 'cuz will be driving through Sally on Thursday.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      09-15-2020 12:41 PM #11
      RainX plus RainX washer fluid. Doubling up!
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-15-2020 12:45 PM #12
      whatever the dealer tops off when it goes for service. but if i need to add some, i just pour in distilled.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      09-15-2020 12:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      whatever the dealer tops off when it goes for service. but if i need to add some, i just pour in distilled.
      Mine is distilled and aged in the reservoir.

I always had chatter when trying rain X. Maybe in snow/sleet conditions it's worth it, but for me the cons outweigh the pros for use in my particular area. I do prefer to clay/nanopad the glass, as it makes the wipers work really well. I should try the nano coating mentioned above.

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V '08 Mazda3 GT '19 Ram Sport
      09-15-2020 12:54 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      None of the above.

This. What ever I have at work will do.

But I use Bosch Icon blades on all of my cars. Worth the money.
      InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      09-15-2020 12:54 PM #15
      When I used that RAIN-X stuff It drove me crazy. It made it so my windshield would just get covered in huge beads of water and the wipers barely did anything except move them around. Never getting that crap again. I have been just using chemical guys signature glass cleaner and whatever wipers that my car came with, I think some generic BOSCH wipers are on it
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Vehicles
      84 GTI, 07 Civic, 17 Golf Sportwagen 4motion
      09-15-2020 12:55 PM #16
      Rain-X washer fluid only. I buy 3 jugs per year for my two dailies and that's all I need. The road grime and such just does not stick. This in a northern environment where they love their salt.

18. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-15-2020 12:55 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Mine is distilled and aged in the reservoir.

I always had chatter when trying rain X. Maybe in snow/sleet conditions it's worth it, but for me the cons outweigh the pros for use in my particular area. I do prefer to clay/nanopad the glass, as it makes the wipers work really well. I should pay someone to nano coat my windshield.
      ftfy

Vehicles
      S4, R32
      09-15-2020 12:58 PM #18
      razor blade, Stoner's Invisible Glass, and a clean rag. top the fluid tank off with OEM stuff and a good set of wipers. I've never had any issues with visibility or wiper chatter.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      09-15-2020 01:03 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      ftfy
      $500 for the windshield, and the rest of the car for free.

21. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      09-15-2020 01:05 PM #20
      None of the above. I just use the plain washer fluid from Advance Auto Parts. The water repellent fluids put way to much of a film on a windshield which cause blinding road glare. Been there, done that.

I find that applying RainX twice a year to the windshield and rear window works much better and does not produce blinding glare.

Depending on where you live don't forget to change over to the winter formula before temperatures fall below freezing. Drain the entire tank and then refill with the -25/-35* F fluid.

Vehicles
      94 Golf
      09-15-2020 01:07 PM #21
      Rainx green in the washer tank for warm months, orange rainx for the winter. When the car gets washed, all windows get real rainx applied.

I never need to use the nasty gas station window squeegee. It also helps old wiper blades clear the water off instead of smearing.

23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-15-2020 01:12 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      When I used that RAIN-X stuff It drove me crazy. It made it so my windshield would just get covered in huge beads of water and the wipers barely did anything except move them around. Never getting that crap again. I have been just using chemical guys signature glass cleaner and whatever wipers that my car came with, I think some generic BOSCH wipers are on it
      Firstly, yes it did wipe them off, as that's how it does its job. It rejects the water, causing it to bead so that it can be moved/removed by the air passing over the windshield.

And more importantly you need to drive faster and turn off the wipers.

24. Member
      09-15-2020 01:14 PM #23
      Aquapel. I buy the bulk packs on amazon. Blows everyone locally away, below their cost. I use one applicator about every 6 months. I usually can do my windhsield, side mirros and side windows with one applicator. Do it early when it is cool and don't skimp on the cleaning and prep work. 99% of getting aquapel to work right is getting the glass scrubbed CLEAN before you put it on. If there's so much as a hint of dirt or bug guts on the glass it won't adhere well. Aquapel is a lifesaver, you can drive clearly and easily in whiteout downpours without even using your wipers. The harder it rains the better it works. Then the only problem is avoiding all the other people on the road crawling with their hazards on and their wipers in full tilt going crazy and they still cannot see. But you can.

I live in SE FL. Between the bugs, rain and sun rain-x only lasts a week if that. The washer fluid stuff just streaks the heck out of glass, especially if you are using silicone blades. The sun eats rubber blades here, Even good Bosch ICON or Michelin blades. Those work the best when new but don't last long. PIAA silicone blades last years without falling apart or loosing their ability to wipe cleanly.

25. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-15-2020 01:18 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      Firstly, yes it did wipe them off, as that's how it does its job. It rejects the water, causing it to bead so that it can be moved/removed by the air passing over the windshield.

And more importantly you need to drive faster and turn off the wipers.

Vehicles
      2012 AWD Nissan Rogue (again, you dumb ass!)
      09-15-2020 01:40 PM #25
      2 times a year, (on a hot day specially) i wash the windshield with dawn soap and scrub it with a plastic fiber, rinse it well and dry it with paper towels, and apply 2 coats of regular rain-x (small yellow bottle).
      my house has softened, filtered water so it may help, but the results are always amazing, having to reapply only because i love how efective and silent the wipers are when needed.
      the washer fluid bottle in the car has clean water only, i dont like the smells of blue or green "bug-free" washer fluids (prestone or similar).
      Specially awesome is the effect rainx has on the windows and the rear hatch glass, as dust just falls off and they look clean for a longer time after a wash.

on a side note, long time ago i found a rainx wax that was like a quick wax or detailer wax after a wash or something like that. it came in a blue spray bottle. it was amazinf, by far the best quick detailer type of product. easy application, and amazing water beading properties....sadly i havent seen it anymore...
      Satan´s nopemares...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast