VWVortex.com - What is the next beige-mobile, Lexus RX replacement for high school kids. Tesla Model S?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the next beige-mobile, Lexus RX replacement for high school kids. Tesla Model S?

1. 09-15-2020 01:26 PM #1
      My kid is in 7th grade and I am already thinking about saving some money for him to get a car when he is high school age?
      I actually bought a Toyota MR2 SW20 but he didn't like it and I was secretly justifying it as his car.

Most kids I see these days are driving 2nd gen RX 350 Lexuses handed down by their parents. That seems to be the modern Camry in my neck of the woods.
      So in 4 years, I wonder what would be a good car for my kid as his first. Kids his age are all into Teslas and the model S can be had for under 30k with high miles. I'm not particularly worried about high mileage EV cars.

What do you think will be suitable first cars for kids in the next 4-5 years?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      09-15-2020 01:35 PM #2
      Nissan Leaf man. They can't go far and they can't go fast. Gotta come home to charge
      Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      09-15-2020 01:55 PM #3
      I'm going to start with I do not have children and do not plan on having any.

I can't wrap my head around high schoolers driving their own Tesla. I worry about teens rolling around on auto pilot, not paying attention, making tik toks and crashing in to me. I worry about the cool kid blasting off at red lights. I think about the lack of motivation to get a nicer car. I think about pulling in to Mcdonalds for those $1 coffees and the parking lot full of Tesla's. But maybe the peace of mind knowing they're in an exceptionally safe car is the justification. My first car was a 30 year old Audi that didn't work. Slow enough to be safe in its own way. I remember my high school student lot full of rattle canned civics, ex-cop cars and almost broken Saturn Vue's and I think it should stay that way! (oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg)

I think H/K will be the cars of choice. Long warranties, low cost, high reliability and high volume (parts availability). But I really have nothing to base that on. Just what I sort of, expect? I think the learning experience of owning a low cost, ICE vehicle is something that shouldn't be lost. The little things that come with that experience stay for life. If I were to be a parent, that's what I would look for. Something cheap, easy to fix in the garage WHEN it needs something, cheap to insure and not a big hit in the event of a total loss. Teens aren't good drivers, its bound to happen.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-15-2020 01:59 PM #4
      Cheap used civic or corolla

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

6. Member
      09-15-2020 02:03 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      I actually bought a Toyota MR2 SW20 but he didn't like it
      Have you considered beating him? Preferably with a stick?

7. 09-15-2020 02:33 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Chazwozza View Post
      Have you considered beating him? Preferably with a stick?
      The first day we had it, I took him to a Foster Freeze and the kid at the counter was going bonkers for it. Said, he worked all summer to save up to buy one as well.
      I said "See, you're lucky, that kid worked hard to get a car, maybe you should too. Or just get good grades and it is yours"

I think the peeling clear coat, musky smell of a 20 plus year old car, he just wasn't having it.. Effing. Privelige. Then again, you can't expect your 11/12 year old to be into cars like you were.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i 80 D150 SWB
      09-15-2020 02:38 PM #7
      The first day we had it, I took him to a Foster Freeze and the kid at the counter was going bonkers for it. Said, he worked all summer to save up to buy one as well.
      I said "See, you're lucky, that kid worked hard to get a car, maybe you should too. Or just get good grades and it is yours"

I think the peeling clear coat, musky smell of a 20 plus year old car, he just wasn't having it.. Effing. Privelige. Then again, you can't expect your 11/12 year old to be into cars like you were.

IDK my 10 year old loves riding around in our old cars. He is campaigning for the '80 Dodge truck to be his first vehicle. That isn't going to happen, but cool he likes it.

Is your kid into cars at all? If so what does he like?

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      09-15-2020 02:40 PM #8
      My kid is in 7th grade and I am already thinking about saving some money for him to get a car when he is high school age?

Most kids I see these days are driving 2nd gen RX 350 Lexuses handed down by their parents. That seems to be the modern Camry in my neck of the woods.
      Sounds like a pretty nice neck of the woods. My oldest is 13 1/2 so I'm thinking along the same lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Nissan Leaf man. They can't go far and they can't go fast. Gotta come home to charge
      Don't laugh. This is my plan. I hope our e-Golf is still viable in 3 years because that's what my daughter will get if she needs a car. 60-80 miles will get her to and from school or a job or some around town runs, but she can't sneak off to the beach for the weekend.

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      09-15-2020 02:43 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      funny ****, but true.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

11. Member
      09-15-2020 03:03 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Is your kid into cars at all? If so what does he like?
      Don think his kid gives 2 craps about cars. = he probably wont care to get his license

12. 09-15-2020 03:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Sounds like a pretty nice neck of the woods. My oldest is 13 1/2 so I'm thinking along the same lines.
      Don't laugh. This is my plan. I hope our e-Golf is still viable in 3 years because that's what my daughter will get if she needs a car. 60-80 miles will get her to and from school or a job or some around town runs, but she can't sneak off to the beach for the weekend.
      I use to drive a Fiat 500e as my commuter car. 88 mile range. Turned in those leases (leased twice). And I see 2017s with 20k miles go for like $6,000. By the time he hits HS age, I can see those going for $3k. Perfect around town car.
      That is a possibility but my kid hates the Fiat. His experience was sitting in the tight back seats so his bias has been formed around that discomfort.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      09-15-2020 09:31 PM #12
      I actually bought a Toyota MR2 SW20 but he didn't like it and I was secretly justifying it as his car.

So in 4 years, I wonder what would be a good car for my kid as his first. Kids his age are all into Teslas and the model S can be had for under 30k with high miles. I'm not particularly worried about high mileage EV cars.

The Model S is a very fast and heavy tank, that's RWD in its cheapest applications, and prone to bursting into flames or driving into sh!t on Auto Pilot.
      It also has a very distracting and large "iPad" on its dash.
      Probably not the best choice for a teenager.

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      09-15-2020 09:37 PM #13
      Assuming you will be paying for insurance and worrying about said kids safety I'll say no to Model S.

My vote is Kia Soul. Cheap, decent technology, long warranty, and for insurance purposes gets rated as a small SUV making it more affordable with young drivers. (At least in past experience)

15. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      09-16-2020 01:03 PM #14
      You gotta assume he will get into an accident or two. Based on that take into account cost of repair and insurance rates.

I think an ideal situation would be to get a Bolt if BEV is a must; right now there are big incentives on clearing out the existing 2019's to make room for 2020's - and there is a Costo $3000 incentive on top of the 8000 from GM (or something like 4500 and 60mo interest free). Also some great leases for them in the 200/month range. A Bolt would give him a BEV, would be very practical, and fun while not too fast. I bet the pre-fresh Bolt will be very cheap in a few years. If they can be hand for around 25k new now, perhaps in the 15k range in 3-4 years. That said, will he be able to charge it in college?

Outside of that a basic car would be great for his HS and college years - any of the H/K CUVs would be great with their long powertrain warranties. A soul is pretty fun, the Soul/Venue/Seltos/Kona/Venue are all good little boxes that would be safe and efficient and durable. Keep in mind I believe the warranty is non-transferable. I would think a manual Soul or a Venue would make a great HS/college car and then he can get himself a new Tesla when he starts working.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-16-2020 01:09 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Assuming you will be paying for insurance and worrying about said kids safety I'll say no to Model S.

My vote is Kia Soul. Cheap, decent technology, long warranty, and for insurance purposes gets rated as a small SUV making it more affordable with young drivers. (At least in past experience)
      It has a CVT now - I don't think we will see 15-20 year old CVT-equipped Souls, Civics and Corollas all over the place like we currently do with the cars that have 4-speed automatics. Probably Camrys?
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

17. 09-16-2020 01:43 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      You gotta assume he will get into an accident or two. Based on that take into account cost of repair and insurance rates.

I think an ideal situation would be to get a Bolt if BEV is a must; right now there are big incentives on clearing out the existing 2019's to make room for 2020's - and there is a Costo $3000 incentive on top of the 8000 from GM (or something like 4500 and 60mo interest free). Also some great leases for them in the 200/month range. A Bolt would give him a BEV, would be very practical, and fun while not too fast. I bet the pre-fresh Bolt will be very cheap in a few years. If they can be hand for around 25k new now, perhaps in the 15k range in 3-4 years. That said, will he be able to charge it in college?

Outside of that a basic car would be great for his HS and college years - any of the H/K CUVs would be great with their long powertrain warranties. A soul is pretty fun, the Soul/Venue/Seltos/Kona/Venue are all good little boxes that would be safe and efficient and durable. Keep in mind I believe the warranty is non-transferable. I would think a manual Soul or a Venue would make a great HS/college car and then he can get himself a new Tesla when he starts working.
      My wife drives a 2019 Bolt. So by the time he is 16 in highschool, the bolt would be a 4/5 year old car.

09-16-2020 01:45 PM #17
      Is this a theoretical question? You have 4 years before you he will be old enough to even drive. Now isn't the time to start looking for a car for him. It only adds to his sense of privilege. Did you also buy him a smartphone when he was in 1st grade?

Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The Model S is a very fast and heavy tank, that's RWD in its cheapest applications, and prone to bursting into flames or driving into sh!t on Auto Pilot.
      This and the cost to insure and repair for a 16 year old who will likely crash it a time or two given its power level makes it a really bad choice for a teenager if you ask me. Teenagers don't always have the best self control.

Teens burned to death in 116 mph crash. Here’s why the driver’s parents have sued Tesla
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-16-2020 01:51 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Yeah, you might as well give your kid a Hellcat. But I think the Model 3/Y can be locked into "chill" mode. Might be a bit better. Autopilot is a problem because a young driver would be very likewise to misuse it. Giant ipad that can browse the internet while driving is of course a terrible idea for a teenager. But perhaps the phone is a bigger concern.

They aren't really prone to bursting into flames though (any more than a modern gas car). It's just that it makes national news when one does and battery fires are much harder to put out.

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      09-16-2020 02:11 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      It has a CVT now - I don't think we will see 15-20 year old CVT-equipped Souls, Civics and Corollas all over the place like we currently do with the cars that have 4-speed automatics. Probably Camrys?
      OP mentioned $30K used Tesla as an option and planning to keep 4-5 years.

Given that I'm making the guesstimate that OP can easily swing for a new Soul or other compact crossover-thing. Said vehicle will run without major issues for 4-5 years.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-16-2020 02:19 PM #20
      My kid will get whatever ~$200/mo leases her. I’m not dealing with maintaining her car, and generally our cars are nice enough and valuable enough that I’m not giving them to her. Lease her a low-end Civic or CRV or Elantra or whatever, something safe enough and reliable enough that I don’t have to worry about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      09-16-2020 04:37 PM #21
      A high school kid doesn't need anything but a Prius - bulletproof and very low-cost to own. Tesla insurance and parts costs are prohibitive.
      ||||||||||||||
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      09-16-2020 04:46 PM #22

I would have murdered someone for my parents to just give me a car in high school.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      09-16-2020 04:50 PM #23
      Sounds like a third generation RX would be appropriate in your neighborhood, or maybe just a RAV4 or CR-V, if that wouldn't be too embarrassing for the youngster.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-16-2020 04:51 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      I'm going to start with I do not have children and do not plan on having any.

I can't wrap my head around high schoolers driving their own Tesla.
      No need to worry; the RX sales are like half of the whole Tesla brand. Plus a parent giving their teen something as fast as a Model S would be like a parent giving their teen an AMG Mercedes. Maybe a few idiots do it but not enough to become the next "high school beige mobile". In fact I don't even think the RX is a typical HS car.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

09-16-2020 04:54 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      A high school kid doesn't need anything but a Prius - bulletproof and very low-cost to own. Tesla insurance and parts costs are prohibitive.
      A Prius is also a pretty good answer. Pretty, pretty good.

Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast