VWVortex.com - What is the next beige-mobile, Lexus RX replacement for high school kids. Tesla Model S?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the next beige-mobile, Lexus RX replacement for high school kids. Tesla Model S?

Vehicles
      G8 & Jetta
      09-16-2020 05:10 PM #26
      I can't even wrap my head around how OP is considering a model S for a teenagers first car. The cost to buy and maintain the car isn't part of the issue at all for me, cause maybe OP is ballin and has no problem throwing down that sort of cash for stuff. What gets me is what's already been said here several times -- but I'll say it again anyway -- a model s is far too much car for a teen to learn on. Will OP's kid kill himself with it? Maybe not but I think an S invites far more stupid ass decisions on the kid's part vs a 500e/Versa/Prius would. At the end of the day, buy him what makes sense.

Oh and I agree, you shoulda beat him for thumbing his nose up at an mr2!
      PSN:Jae304

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-16-2020 05:31 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Nissan Leaf man. They can't go far and they can't go fast. Gotta come home to charge
      I saw a high school aged kid driving around town yesterday in a Rav4 EV..the one from like 2012. New it had a 100mi range and 6h charge time, probably much worse these days. Talk about having an range/charge leash on your kid.

Used Prius/Fusion Hybrid/Volvo of any kind in the price range/Jetta/Tiguan would be my choices.

Edit: This Volvo. It's orange!
      https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd...190364139.html
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

4. 09-16-2020 09:49 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 20VT*J4 View Post
      I can't even wrap my head around how OP is considering a model S for a teenagers first car. The cost to buy and maintain the car isn't part of the issue at all for me, cause maybe OP is ballin and has no problem throwing down that sort of cash for stuff. What gets me is what's already been said here several times -- but I'll say it again anyway -- a model s is far too much car for a teen to learn on. Will OP's kid kill himself with it? Maybe not but I think an S invites far more stupid ass decisions on the kid's part vs a 500e/Versa/Prius would. At the end of the day, buy him what makes sense.

Oh and I agree, you shoulda beat him for thumbing his nose up at an mr2!
      Definitely not ballin but I can see myself dropping 15-20k. But yeah, I wasn't thinking about the performance aspect of it. Rather the low maintenance as I know people with 200k miles Teslas. High mileage EVs is something I am not worried about as I am sold they can go long time with little maintenance cost and little operating expenses.

I'd be open to a BMW i3, Volt. But no Leafs due to their bad battery degradation. There are a few LEAFs on FB Marketplace with a range of 40 miles.

I'm personally itching the idea of a GX 470. There are a few 200k mileage ones going for $6500 right now on FB Marketplace and those things can go on and on. But hey, that is secretly for me to shepard until he is of driving age.

But yeah, kids these days are sold on EVs.

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      09-17-2020 07:15 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I would have murdered someone for my parents to just give me a car in high school.
      right? i had to share some early 1980s honda accord with my older sister. if i wanted a car, i had to buy it and pay for insurance/maintenance/etc.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-17-2020 07:24 AM #30
      I would have murdered someone for my parents to just give me a car in high school.
      Yeah, I realize it's normal in a lot of places, but certainly not here. I would've jumped through the roof if there were a car key under the Christmas tree.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-17-2020 07:29 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      right? i had to share some early 1980s honda accord with my older sister. if i wanted a car, i had to buy it and pay for insurance/maintenance/etc.
      Oh, yeah, I did have access to borrow my moms '90s Caravan until I got a car. I always get a good laugh when I hear someone say they're going to "pick up chicks with their Corvette" or whatever [barf]. Honestly, nobody ever cared when I was in the minivan; if anything it was convenient to have that many seat belts.

09-17-2020 08:38 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Nissan Leaf man. They can't go far and they can't go fast. Gotta come home to charge
      The first electric car I drove was a Leaf maybe ~2-3 years before they came out when Nissan took them on tour for 'muricans to drive.

It's such a hoot from a stop.
      Proud long-term employee at TheRetrofitSource family of companies

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | Morimoto Lighting | SOS Performance | MESO Customs | XenonDepot | GTechniq

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      09-17-2020 09:50 AM #33
      The perfect teenager car I ever saw was the 2000 Prism our friends bought their son.

1/4" aux, AC, pre-dented, $500, and burned a quart of oil a month. I don't even know what mileage was on it, and it didn't matter. Only had to last two years.

.... and it almost made it. Six weeks before he shipped out, he hit a parked car. *so close*

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-17-2020 11:08 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      The perfect teenager car I ever saw was the 2000 Prism our friends bought their son.

1/4" aux, AC, pre-dented, $500, and burned a quart of oil a month. I don't even know what mileage was on it, and it didn't matter. Only had to last two years.

.... and it almost made it. Six weeks before he shipped out, he hit a parked car. *so close*
      My first car was a 1990 Prizm. Pre-crashed and badly repaired, cost me $1700 in 1998. I managed to kill it in about 22 months.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-17-2020 11:33 AM #35
      Same. I literally couldn't get my license until I moved out because the resulting insurance increase wasn't something my parents could even afford.

I thought my son was spoiled when he got the 10-year-old Prius to drive. Know I KNOW he's spoiled since he drives our 2016 RAV4.

Clearly my area is different than the OP, but outside of 1 local rich town, most kids are driving old trucks, toyotas and hondas. A very well used CRV seems to be a popular teenager car here, and for good reason.

I was actually thinking the other day how perfect a used Prius is for a new driver. Safe, slow, reliable, cheap and plentiful.

If you have the money to where it's no big deal, then go with Stack's plan and lease something very cheap to cut down on any hassles. Handing your kids a Model S is just being ridiculous. (imo)
      Last edited by Sporin; 09-17-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-17-2020 11:59 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Same. I literally couldn't get my license until I moved out because the resulting insurance increase wasn't something my parents could even afford.

I thought my son was spoiled when he got the 10-year-old Prius to drive. Know I KNOW he's spoiled since he drives our 2016 RAV4.

Clearly my area is different than the OP, but outside of 1 local rich town, most kids are driving old trucks, toyotas and hondas. A very well used CRV seems to be a popular teenager car here, and for good reason.

I was actually thinking the other day how perfect a used Prius is for a new driver. Safe, slow, reliable, cheap and plentiful.

If you have the money to where it's no big deal, then go with Stack's plan and lease something very cheap to cut down on any hassles. Handing your kids a Model S is just being ridiculous. (imo)
      (Note that Stacks plan only costs $2500-3k)
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      09-17-2020 12:10 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      (Note that Stacks plan only costs $2500-3k)
      It's a good plan.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i 80 D150 SWB
      09-17-2020 12:11 PM #38
      Magnum RT's are under $5k now.

Perfect high school car. Named after a condom (safe sex), V8/RWD for burnouts and learning vehicle dynamics (drifting), plenty of room to haul your friends and/or kegs, back seats fold flat for camping (see point 1).

Vehicles
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      09-17-2020 12:27 PM #39
      Perfect first car would be something that either is incapable of hauling multiple friends, or so embarrassing/ugly that nobody would want a ride in it. My dumbest and scariest driving moments during HS all occurred with 3 or more friends in the car.

09-17-2020 12:39 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

Perfect high school car. Named after a condom (safe sex), V8/RWD for burnouts and learning vehicle dynamics (drifting), plenty of room to haul your friends and/or kegs, back seats fold flat for camping (see point 1).
      I wanted a windowless van when I was in HS. Didn't happen.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

17. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      09-17-2020 01:22 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      Definitely not ballin but I can see myself dropping 15-20k. But yeah, I wasn't thinking about the performance aspect of it. Rather the low maintenance as I know people with 200k miles Teslas. High mileage EVs is something I am not worried about as I am sold they can go long time with little maintenance cost and little operating expenses.

I'd be open to a BMW i3, Volt. But no Leafs due to their bad battery degradation. There are a few LEAFs on FB Marketplace with a range of 40 miles.

I'm personally itching the idea of a GX 470. There are a few 200k mileage ones going for $6500 right now on FB Marketplace and those things can go on and on. But hey, that is secretly for me to shepard until he is of driving age.

But yeah, kids these days are sold on EVs.
      I don't understand, if your wife has a Bolt now, why not give it to your child when it's time to drive? You know BEVs last very long time and GM basically has no maintenance on Bolts up till 150,000 miles. Your Bolt would still be fresh at that time - You could give the Bolt to your child, get a Tesla for the wife, and then when the kid is done with HS swap the Bolt for the Tesla, or wait till the kid is done with HS and college and then do the swap.

In terms of performance, perhaps there is a way to lock chill mode, or reach out to Tesla about putting in a low-power mode - worth a shot.

18. Member
      09-17-2020 01:41 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

Maybe just me but a magnum with a Hemi is kinda cool and too fast. If anything the student should get a Sebring in refrigerator white with the I-4 ugly and slow

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      09-18-2020 11:35 AM #43
      It's a good plan.
      Is it though? Teens tend to be tough on cars, and while a wreck isnít guaranteed, Iím already cringing at the thought of a lease return inspection where they point out every flaw in the vehicle and charge you for it. (Maybe itís not like that, Iíve never leased a car before)

Anyways, one thing that having a kid (only 10 months old so far) is that thereís huge variability among children. My son is killing it in the motor skills department, but is not a huge fan of sleeping. Other kids sleep great, but arenít awesome at eating, etc.

I imagine that itíd be similarly hard to estimate what a high schooler will be like too. I never wrecked my car, though several of my friends did. I was interested in cars, but lots of my friends werenít. I drove with my foot flat to the floor everywhere I went, but several of my friends obeyed the speed limit exactly. So to extrapolate, I think there are some kids that you could probably trust to drive a Hellcat to school, while others you would probably be uncomfortable with in a hypothetical fully self driving car wrapped in bubble wrap.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-18-2020 11:54 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Is it though? Teens tend to be tough on cars, and while a wreck isnít guaranteed, Iím already cringing at the thought of a lease return inspection where they point out every flaw in the vehicle and charge you for it. (Maybe itís not like that, Iíve never leased a car before)
      Iíve never returned a lease before so I donít quite know, but the paperwork they gave me at lease inception suggests you need to do fairly significant damage to the car before they make a big deal of it.

If the kid wrecks the car, the car has to be fully insured so insurance will fix it and then boom, I get to give it back, donít have to keep a wrecked/repaired car.

And frankly, the potential exposure due to minor body work that I need to pay to fix at lease end is probably lower than the potential exposure I might have to pay for if I spent the same on a high mileage used car; one mechanical failure is probably a lot more expensive than fixing a couple door dings or what have you (anything more than your deductible you could potentially run through insurance). Plus a lease car will have no maintenance besides a couple oil changes and such; you buy a $5000 car youíre probably doing tires, brakes, etc at some point if not immediately.

09-18-2020 12:01 PM #45
      Iíve never returned a lease before so I donít quite know, but the paperwork they gave me at lease inception suggests you need to do fairly significant damage to the car before they make a big deal of it.

If the kid wrecks the car, the car has to be fully insured so insurance will fix it and then boom, I get to give it back, donít have to keep a wrecked/repaired car.

And frankly, the potential exposure due to minor body work that I need to pay to fix at lease end is probably lower than the potential exposure I might have to pay for if I spent the same on a high mileage used car; one mechanical failure is probably a lot more expensive than fixing a couple door dings or what have you (anything more than your deductible you could potentially run through insurance). Plus a lease car will have no maintenance besides a couple oil changes and such; you buy a $5000 car youíre probably doing tires, brakes, etc at some point if not immediately.
      Doesn't a lease normally require the tires to be within a certain spec on return? So you might have to buy new tires prior to the return or pay the leasing company to put new tires on the car. Also they do charge you for damage that isn't repaired (large scratches, dings, dents). I also wonder about whether they want compensation if the vehicle was in a major accident but repaired? That would yield them a lower auction or resale result since it would likely be indicated on the Carfax.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

Vehicles
      09-18-2020 12:02 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I wanted a windowless van when I was in HS. Didn't happen.
      I love vans. I would have gotten in SO MUCH trouble if I'd had a van in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Good answer \/\/\/

Yeah, when talking about a cheap lease vs purchasing a used car and maintaining it, I bet it's a wash, and the no-hassle factor is HUGE.

Bear in mind teen drivers varies widely. I've been impressed by my son's skills and composture over the road. I've also seen other teens in our social circle back into really obvious stuff (more than once), drive over stumps and curbs, and get into all manner of other minor issues because they just can't handle piloting a car.

If your kid is a bad driver, you'll probably know pretty quickly.

The only thing that gives me pause about a new leased car for a new driver is trying not to spoil them, but that's all subjective and I shouldn't project my own issues on everyone else.
      Last edited by Sporin; 09-18-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-18-2020 12:07 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Doesn't a lease normally require the tires to be within a certain spec on return? So you might have to buy new tires prior to the return or pay the leasing company to put new tires on the car. Also they do charge you for damage that isn't repaired (large scratches, dings, dents). I also wonder about whether they want compensation if the vehicle was in a major accident but repaired? That would yield them a lower auction or resale result since it would likely be indicated on the Carfax.
      Yeah when I leased my Jeep they gave me paperwork laying out how much damage you could have before being charged. They gave me a paper template to put over dents, and IIRC the template was like 2Ēx2Ē or 3Ēx3Ē; it was big enough that I knew Iíd fix it for me because it would bother me, never mind a lease. Tires have to be in a certain spec, sure, but a 2 year lease is going to be <20/24k miles anyways and most kids donít even drive that much. For job performance tires that should be negligible wear.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-18-2020 12:48 PM #48
      The only thing that gives me pause about a new leased car for a new driver is trying not to spoil them, but that's all subjective and I shouldn't project my own issues on everyone else.
      Yeah, this gives me a pause too, however:

1. A leased cheap car is likely to be less nice than whatever hand me down my wife or I are likely to be driving (new base Civic vs 5y/o loaded Acura SUV for instance).

2. I think car needs ascribe a lot of meaning to cars because we love cars. For most people, likely including my daughters, a car is just a tool for getting around. So we put a lot of weight on it, versus say a laptop, which is buy my daughter without a second though because itís a tool she needed.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-18-2020 05:48 PM #49
      Donít waste time on a high mileage S when you can get a much newer 3 for the same price. Better yet, tell him his budget is 30k and see what he chooses. It might surprise you.
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

26. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-18-2020 05:56 PM #50
      i couldnt imagine giving a first time driver one of the most expensive cars to insure currently and one that has an immense amount of torque and speed. if hes mature enough to handle it then maybe. but sounds like your son doesnt even really care much about cars so it could be a waste? no one here knows your son like you.

dont get me wrong id love for my son to have a cool car when hes 16 as well, but i need to also be realistic and sensible about his safety, maturity and if hes deserving of anything special

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast