Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: New Nissan Z Proto looks to the future, inspired by its past

09-20-2020 11:43 AM #176
      Images of the actual production car have been leaked.

Lower all the Things.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-20-2020 02:51 PM #177
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It’s much easier to design a car when you don’t have to take regulations from different markets, production and practicality into account.
      So Ferrari must have lobbied/Epstein blackmailed governments to sell their sleek cars?

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      So go buy it
      Good design is only made for the rich to afford.
      Follow my kit designs on Facebook fan pages http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Vehicles
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      09-21-2020 09:24 AM #178
      ^ you can buy a used mk1 TT quattro for like $6k, it won several design awards because of the Bauhaus styling and is basically at the bottom of the depreciation/interest curve. If you want one now is the time, I'd bet on a $15k mk1 within a decade. I'd also argue Ferrari gave up the styling mantle awhile ago...

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      09-21-2020 09:54 AM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Actually you can get a ‘20 Mustang GT right now for about $33K CAD. The employee pricing plus the rebate puts it down basically to the price of an EcoBoost. In contrast it’s probably slim pickings for Zs on lots right now.

https://shop.ford.ca/inventory/musta...intcmp=show-si

Hrm, that’s too bad, lowest I can find is $36K now. $33K was definitely out there but it looks like they might have goofed on the Employee Pricing discount and now lowered it? Guess last month was the time to buy, more on lots then too.
      As your link demonstrates, it is incredibly hard to find, and the MSRP of Mustang GTs has shot WAY up since the S550 came out. Also smaller dealers with less allocation usually don't deal as hard. Besides, say you take a base 370Z at $30.5k, and you find a bit of wiggle room on that, you're still looking at a few grand cheaper.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-21-2020 09:55 AM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      So Ferrari must have lobbied/Epstein blackmailed governments to sell their sleek cars?

You're so far off the beaten path I think you're a caricature, but I'll bite.

Sure, it's only for the rich because it costs a LOT of money to build sleek cars like that, but even Ferrari needs to adhere to the rules and can't do anything they want. Now the problem for Nissan is that they can't even afford to make an all new chassis right now and they need something relatively inexpensive and somewhat limited because of being forced to be built from the old one. They've come up with a car that should turn heads and sell in decent numbers, which is exactly what they need it to do. The car you posted would be expensive and polarizing. It would be expensive to develop, expensive to build and even then it almost certainly wouldn't meet crash standards without a drastic reworking of the basic design.

It's a show car/flight of fancy and nothing more, just like Ferrari's show cars that aren't intended for production.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

7. 09-21-2020 05:31 PM #181
      The only problem it has is the abundant glass which would boil the interior when sunny.
      Thats basically a rebodied 300zx. Nissan is a shell of company that purposely puts out inferior cars because of the world wide automobile monopoly ruled by the .1% elites.
      How do these cars pass pedestrian safety? Its practically a brick wall on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      ^ you can buy a used mk1 TT quattro for like $6k, it won several design awards because of the Bauhaus styling and is basically at the bottom of the depreciation/interest curve. If you want one now is the time, I'd bet on a $15k mk1 within a decade. I'd also argue Ferrari gave up the styling mantle awhile ago...
      The Marcello Gandini has its linage from his first creations, the Countach. That Audi has all the testosterone taken out of it.

The Music city. Or The Motor City. What day is it?
      Vehicles
      2020 Nissan GT-R Premium, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
      09-22-2020 07:47 PM #182
      It’s much easier to design a car when you don’t have to take regulations from different markets, production and practicality into account.
      And cost. And FE requirements. Ingress/egress. etc.

You know it would be enlightening for most armchair automotive designers to forget all the brand graphic requirements and just sketch over a 2 seater package compete with suspension, bulkhead, and impact zones in mind. Oh and don't forget ramp departure angles for the front and rear bumper.

It's also amusing to see how many truly great, experienced designers can make something super beautiful and sketchy in 2D-but their models all seem 'meh' when seen in person/digitally. As you noted, it's a lot more difficult when one is off the sidelines.

The Music city. Or The Motor City. What day is it?
      Vehicles
      2020 Nissan GT-R Premium, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
      09-22-2020 08:15 PM #183

The Honda e is 'good design' vs. perhaps 4 recent Lamborghinis designed in the last 12 years.

10. 09-22-2020 10:45 PM #184
      That could be a nice design to most, on a puny chassis, which is hard to do... but we are not desperate for space to have compact cars. Although the interior volume may be the same, to me awesome proportions on a bad design triumphs a great looking compact car.

Quote Originally Posted by Minority5 View Post

You know it would be enlightening for most armchair automotive designers to forget all the brand graphic requirements and just sketch over a 2 seater package compete with suspension, bulkhead, and impact zones in mind. Oh and don't forget ramp departure angles for the front and rear bumper.

It's also amusing to see how many truly great, experienced designers can make something super beautiful and sketchy in 2D-but their models all seem 'meh' when seen in person/digitally. As you noted, it's a lot more difficult when one is off the sidelines.
      In multi-billion dollar companies all the technicalities have already been done on previous car models... the only costly part is CNC'ing metal moulds for the panels to get stamped on. This shouldnt cost more then a 100k with todays advances.

Designs in ZX chassis

Zagato Bambu & Seta

Last edited by VigorousZX; 09-22-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      09-23-2020 11:49 AM #185
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

12. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-23-2020 12:13 PM #186
      That could be a nice design to most, on a puny chassis, which is hard to do... but we are not desperate for space to have compact cars. Although the interior volume may be the same, to me awesome proportions on a bad design triumphs a great looking compact car.

In multi-billion dollar companies all the technicalities have already been done on previous car models... the only costly part is CNC'ing metal moulds for the panels to get stamped on. This shouldnt cost more then a 100k with todays advances.
      ROFL.

The only costly part, eh? I suppose that purposeful "bad design" is to keep the masses in check. Or something.

You really are a caricature of yourself.

The only problem it has is the abundant glass which would boil the interior when sunny.
      Thats basically a rebodied 300zx. Nissan is a shell of company that purposely puts out inferior cars because of the world wide automobile monopoly ruled by the .1% elites.
      How do these cars pass pedestrian safety? Its practically a brick wall on wheels.

The Marcello Gandini has its linage from his first creations, the Countach. That Audi has all the testosterone taken out of it.
      Really? Is that the only problem? I'm glad you have that sorted out.

Also, pedestrian crash standards are about crush space under the sheet metal, not about a flat front. Also I have no idea if they meet those specs or not, but probably not. Pedestrian safety is a European thing and those trucks aren't designed for their market. Crowded cities laid out in the 1600s do not make good places to drive 3/4 ton American pickups. Open areas with livestock make for great uses, though.

To be fair, I despise those truck front ends. They're pointlessly large and are there to instill a feeling of power for the buyer. The grilles are ridiculous and cartoonish and the height of modern trucks make them difficult to load. But of course simple loads in the bed isn't what the marketing is about. It's about cranes putting pallets of cinderblock in there and towing 10,000 lb. boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Minority5 View Post

Away! Away with those workaday problems! It's all to keep the little guy down for the .1%. Or something.

I still don't think that guy is real, but who knows?
      Last edited by Air and water do mix; 09-23-2020 at 12:16 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-23-2020 12:14 PM #187
      Only way to deal with trolls is to ignore them and let them shrivel up and die. I don't think I've ever read a VigorousZX post with any kind of value.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

14. 09-23-2020 05:23 PM #188
      ROFL.

The only costly part, eh? I suppose that purposeful "bad design" is to keep the masses in check. Or something.

You really are a caricature of yourself.
      Yes, thats how a monopoly works... explains why Japanese appliance manufacturers never made a car with these proportions.

... Also I have no idea if they meet those specs or not, but probably not....
      So there is a 'tradie' privilege over the safety of everyone else's lives. Who knew, guys that buy sandwiches and lotto tickets at the local 7eleven have a secret exemption from pedestrian safety. Probably a George Soro's figure lobbying the government?

Vehicles
      1989 yuppie-mobile, 2011 ess4
      09-23-2020 07:23 PM #189
      Well. I think we should all collectively ignore the last page of insanity lest we derail this otherwise Nice Thread about a Nice Car.

I’m pretty sure of it based on the 350/370z/FM platform/prototype images... but do we think the new 400z will have a full hatch opening down to the bumper? That’d be a major value-add in my eyes vs the small opening of the Mustang, Supra, and upcoming 2nd gen GT86/BRZ.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      09-23-2020 08:00 PM #190
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      Well. I think we should all collectively ignore the last page of insanity lest we derail this otherwise Nice Thread about a Nice Car.

I’m pretty sure of it based on the 350/370z/FM platform/prototype images... but do we think the new 400z will have a full hatch opening down to the bumper? That’d be a major value-add in my eyes vs the small opening of the Mustang, Supra, and upcoming 2nd gen GT86/BRZ.
      Even if it doesn't go down to the bumper, it will automatically be more practical than any of those cars.

Except those cars all have back seats...
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      09-23-2020 10:23 PM #191
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post

I think it will go down to the bumper.... problem is if it's like other FM Zs the bumper will sit high like mom jeans.

I don't remember it being an issue with my 350Z; the damn RSTB was a bigger PITA honestly and either way the trunk is gonna suck.
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

09-24-2020 05:51 PM #192

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      09-24-2020 05:59 PM #193
      Quote Originally Posted by vb22 View Post
      Should they make a drop top?
      No!! I want targa or T-top instead!!!

Last edited by Avus; 09-24-2020 at 06:02 PM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

20. Member
      Vehicles
      09-25-2020 05:46 AM #195
      No drop top... A panoramic sunroof would be enough. FM convertibles are always hideous

And that NISMO render looks like a warthog

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2011 Infiniti G37S
      09-25-2020 09:22 AM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      No drop top... A panoramic sunroof would be enough. FM convertibles are always hideous
      I think the G37C was actually really good looking top up or down.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      09-25-2020 09:26 AM #197
      OK, that wasn't hideous but I generally don't like 4 seat convertibles. They all remind me of Chrysler Sebrings

10-09-2020 05:29 PM #198

24. 10-10-2020 12:09 AM #200
      Next to a Ferrari Roma.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast