The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Nissan Z Proto looks to the future, inspired by its past

1. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-16-2020 02:41 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      According to the marketing folks at Nissan who are trying to put on the best spin possible "Power and torque is quite different, so the platform is modified. It is not carry-over. Many things were changed or modified. Even if it looks the same it was changed."
      Fixed. It's an elaborate refresh, but a refresh nonetheless. This isn't a knock on it, as I think they did a great job.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      16 FRS 14 CB1100
      09-16-2020 03:19 PM #102
      I can deal with the front because the rest looks great and it has a real hand brake. I'm hesitating to get a Type R or Challenger because they don't have hand brakes.

I hope the trunk/hatch opens all the way up with all the glass like the 370. I'm guessing it will but I can't tell from the pics.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      09-16-2020 03:22 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Fixed.
      Yeah, you're probably right that this guy (who said that) is probably just a marketing guy and doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground... https://motioncars.inquirer.net/4621...hiroshi-tamura

"Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      09-16-2020 03:29 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Greefus View Post
      I can deal with the front because the rest looks great and it has a real hand brake. I'm hesitating to get a Type R or Challenger because they don't have hand brakes.

I hope the trunk/hatch opens all the way up with all the glass like the 370. I'm guessing it will but I can't tell from the pics.
      Honest question, why is that so important?

Edit: Referring to the handbrake, the hatch preference I get
      Last edited by Quinn1.8t; 09-16-2020 at 04:10 PM.

Vehicles
      16 FRS 14 CB1100
      09-16-2020 03:38 PM #105
      For the hand brake? 25 years of driving using it at every stop light, and they are hard to find on anything new. Every time I get a rental automatic it just adds to my clumsiness of remembering to put the car in park to take the key out or remembering not to take my foot off the brake in D or the car just moves forward by itself. I know it's like a Steven Wright joke that he doesn't know how to drive an automatic, but it's honestly very hard for me to unlearn.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-16-2020 03:52 PM #106
      For the hand brake? 25 years of driving using it at every stop light, and they are hard to find on anything new. Every time I get a rental automatic it just adds to my clumsiness of remembering to put the car in park to take the key out or remembering not to take my foot off the brake in D or the car just moves forward by itself. I know it's like a Steven Wright joke that he doesn't know how to drive an automatic, but it's honestly very hard for me to unlearn.
      You use a hand brake at every stoplight

I only use a handbrake for two scenarios: parking (at all in the S, on a hill in an automatic) and for screeching to a halt in snow/ice when ABS doesn’t want to help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      09-16-2020 03:57 PM #107
      For the hand brake? 25 years of driving using it at every stop light, and they are hard to find on anything new.

Or just keep your foot on the brake pedal.

9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-16-2020 04:01 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Yeah, you're probably right that this guy (who said that) is probably just a marketing guy and doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground... https://motioncars.inquirer.net/4621...hiroshi-tamura

I was being flip, but the point stands. It's a heavy refresh, but there's nothing wrong with that. I actually prefer that over a clean-sheet for every new car. It gives more time to work on the clean sheet designs and the refresh versions can iron out any bugs of the original.

My SWAG calculations tell me that the only downfall of this refresh is possible compromise of the design aesthetics and that it might not be as light as it would've been otherwise. Any other changes would likely be minimal. Is it worth a clean-sheet design to get that? Probably not, and certainly not with a company struggling as Nissan is right now.

Working within their limitations I don't see how this car could've been better, with the possible exception of that maw of a grille, but that's just pointy elbows.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      09-16-2020 04:06 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Honest question, why is that so important?
      Hatches make cars soooo much easier to use. I hate that the 86/mustang/camaro all have tiny little trunk mail slots while their ancestors had huge hatches.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-16-2020 04:13 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Hatches make cars soooo much easier to use. I hate that the 86/mustang/camaro all have tiny little trunk mail slots while their ancestors had huge hatches.
      Agreed. Even with the stupid rear strut tower brace the hatch made my 350Z a lot more usable. I think the opposition to it is chassis rigidity, but I honestly don't care.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      09-16-2020 04:19 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Agreed. Even with the stupid rear strut tower brace the hatch made my 350Z a lot more usable. I think the opposition to it is chassis rigidity, but I honestly don't care.
      Exactly. It's not a race car. If you can put rubber bushings all over, then you can put a hatch in the back.

I guess hatches add a little weight and noise too, but the utility is worth it. Cramming my bike into the 86 trunk sucks.

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-16-2020 04:35 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      It is definitely more useful in most cases, but the losses are cabin noise (no biggie to us) and side impact standards. My armchair quarterback guess is that those side impact standards affect design in a real way, including whether to use a hatch or a trunk lid.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      09-16-2020 05:00 PM #113

Credit to u/acedelia for the light bar concept that does a good job of breaking up that bigass black recangle grille from the r/cars thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...ive_in_1_hour/

09-16-2020 05:51 PM #114

Vehicles
      1989 yuppie-mobile, 2011 essfour
      09-16-2020 06:01 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      credit to u/acedelia for the light bar concept that does a good job of breaking up that bigass black recangle grille from the r/cars thread:

Okay, YES. Please, Nissan. But not a light bar... rather, a piece of chromed plastic (or painted depending on trim level) with integrated sidemarkers/fogs/turns/whatever else in there. Heavily harkens back to the S30 bumper:

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 3.6 4Motion R-Line, 2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-16-2020 06:25 PM #116
      In this day and age of wildly over-styled nonsense, the simplicity of this design is outstanding. I think they knocked it out of the park.

Compare this straight, simple grille with, for example, Lexus's carp-face-predator-grille monstrosity.

I dig it.

18. Member
      09-16-2020 06:40 PM #117
      Thanks. I could also go for a rectangular version of the wider grille.

This version is perfect and is exactly what I had in mind as to what I'd change on the front of this car. I wonder if aftermarket companies could just make that piece so it clips or screws in? It doesn't look like it'd be hard to do and would help improve the front end tremendously IMO.

Other than that I love it. The Supra better get that manual transmission ASAP. Even then I'd be hard pressed to choose that over this car.
      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      09-16-2020 06:42 PM #118
      For the hand brake? 25 years of driving using it at every stop light,
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      09-16-2020 07:33 PM #119
      Not 100% sure how I feel about this yet. Gonna have to let this marinate....
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2020 07:35 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Not 100% sure how I feel about this yet. Gonna have to let this marinate....
      No, you have to commit to an life long opinion right now!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      09-16-2020 07:52 PM #121
      Fixed. It's an elaborate refresh, but a refresh nonetheless. This isn't a knock on it, as I think they did a great job.
      Probably the best Nissan could accomplish given the circumstances.

Spending billions to develop a new bespoke and lightweight RWD chassis would never get the green light with bean counters. Nissan Z version 3.0 is the best we can ask for in an affordable sports car.

I think it looks great and the TT6-whatever powertrain should be sufficient to fight the V8 muscle cars.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2020 09:19 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Probably the best Nissan could accomplish given the circumstances.

Spending billions to develop a new bespoke and lightweight RWD chassis would never get the green light with bean counters. Nissan Z version 3.0 is the best we can ask for in an affordable sports car.

I think it looks great and the TT6-whatever powertrain should be sufficient to fight the V8 muscle cars.
      Plus bear in mind damn near nobody else has done it. The only bespoke sports car in the Z's price range is the Miata. Everyone else is on shared modular platforms exactly the same in concept as the FM, just newer.
      Last edited by CTK; 09-16-2020 at 09:23 PM.

24. 09-16-2020 09:26 PM #123
      I wonder just how much of their 1.2 Gpa Steel is going into the reworked platform and if any of the new carbon fiber production that they've recently unvieled wil make it into the vehicle?

Last edited by enigmatic enthusiast; 09-16-2020 at 09:37 PM.

25. 09-16-2020 09:33 PM #124
      Everyone in my private F-type owner's group is seeing some similarities.....

But hey, at least the Nissan is at least 40k cheaper and comes in manual.

26. 09-16-2020 09:39 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      Everyone in my private F-type owner's group is seeing some similarities.....

But hey, at least the Nissan is at least 40k cheaper and comes in manual.

Wasn't the original 240Z said to look like the jaguars of its day?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast