VWVortex.com - Interested in an Arteon if....
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Interested in an Arteon if....

1. Semi-n00b
      09-16-2020 02:26 PM #1
      Does anyone have any experience tracking these? I really like the look and based on what I’ve researched, they can be tuned to put down impressive power.

I know they are big (heavier) cars. But with 4motion and DCC, they seem like they could be impressive or at the very least fun track cars. Even if a bit overaized

I’ve been looking at GLI’s, but the front wheel drive only is a turn off. God how I wish they had an AWD option. I’m holding out to see what the new R offers but the Arteon piqued my interest.

Any insight from y’all?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      09-16-2020 03:35 PM #2
      for the size and weight, i think it is a capable car. i have thrown it into a few long turns on the highway and have been impressed. the weight is what will kill the fun factor though and the 4Motion is still bias to the front wheels and will only engage the rears if it detects spin, so the Arteon is really FWD too.

im tuned currently and highly recommend that regardless if you track it or not.
      suspension will help, even just going with a stiffer spring will make the car dramatically different.

personally, if youre looking to track a car as you driving force to buying (no pun intended) then go with the GLI. great motor (same as the GTI) so tuning will be the same and a lighter car will net better results when really pushing it in a corner. but if youre looking for a GT car, go with the Arteon. i absolutely love mine.
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado SOLD : 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec - SOLD : 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec - SOLD : 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air - SOLD : 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ SOLD : 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion SOLD : 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion SOLD : 17 Jetta GLI SE - SOLD : 19 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - Wife's Daily : 19 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4Motion - APR Stage I - Daily : 90 G60 stage III Corrado

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat, 2010 Passat Sedan, 2010 Passat Wagon, 2019 Arteon
      09-16-2020 03:43 PM #3
      I suspect the Aisin Trans will prove to be the Achilles heel during track use. While the Golf R motor in the Arteon is quite tune friendly, the trans will again be the limiting factor.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Semi-n00b
      09-16-2020 05:28 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      for the size and weight, i think it is a capable car. i have thrown it into a few long turns on the highway and have been impressed. the weight is what will kill the fun factor though and the 4Motion is still bias to the front wheels and will only engage the rears if it detects spin, so the Arteon is really FWD too.

im tuned currently and highly recommend that regardless if you track it or not.
      suspension will help, even just going with a stiffer spring will make the car dramatically different.

personally, if youre looking to track a car as you driving force to buying (no pun intended) then go with the GLI. great motor (same as the GTI) so tuning will be the same and a lighter car will net better results when really pushing it in a corner. but if youre looking for a GT car, go with the Arteon. i absolutely love mine.
      Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by beaumisbro View Post
      I suspect the Aisin Trans will prove to be the Achilles heel during track use. While the Golf R motor in the Arteon is quite tune friendly, the trans will again be the limiting factor.
      Aw yes. I’m glad you brought this up. Is the transmission not a DSG unit?

Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4motion
      09-16-2020 06:46 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Cochise_82 View Post
      Thanks for the input!

Aw yes. I’m glad you brought this up. Is the transmission not a DSG unit?
      Unfortunately North American Arteons do not have a DSG like they do in every other market. We get the Aisin/Toyota transmission. Same basic 8 speed that they use in their midsize FWD based vehicles. RX, ES, Camry, Avalon, etc....

GTI, Golf R and GLI are the only US models available with a DSG.
      Last edited by LSIII; 09-16-2020 at 08:12 PM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon Execline R-Line with Drivers Assistance Package (Loaded)
      09-17-2020 08:38 AM #6
      I would definitely track mine once or twice for an hour tops just for the sake of it BUT I'd never use it as a track car.
      I'd find the cheapest Golf R or GTI to do so.

As beaumisbro said, the tranny really won't make the cut on a track + there's way too many bells and whistles in that car (Heavy weight)

Maybe save on the Arteon, get a GLI and with the remaining money go find yourself an inexpensive RWD car to track (stripped down and barely street legal lol)

Good luck with your search man
      2016 Volkswagen Passat Trendline + few goodies
      2015 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Comfortline
      2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2.5 + few goodies
      1996 Volkswagen Passat Wagon VR6 + lots of goodies
      1991 Volkswagen Jetta high trim + VR6 12V swap and lots of goodies

9. Semi-n00b
      09-17-2020 10:58 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by AlexSky View Post
      I would definitely track mine once or twice for an hour tops just for the sake of it BUT I'd never use it as a track car.
      I'd find the cheapest Golf R or GTI to do so.

As beaumisbro said, the tranny really won't make the cut on a track + there's way too many bells and whistles in that car (Heavy weight)

Maybe save on the Arteon, get a GLI and with the remaining money go find yourself an inexpensive RWD car to track (stripped down and barely street legal lol)

Good luck with your search man
      We are totally on the same page. If I had it my way I would find a mk6 golf R For regular track use.

Unfortunately though, my wife would kill me. So whatever I get will have to be used for double duty.

I’m really bummed about the transmission though. Looks like it’s gonna have to be a GLI or the new R when it comes out. Or maybe even a slightly used mk7 R.
      Last edited by Cochise_82; 09-17-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, Rising Blue
      09-17-2020 02:32 PM #8
      If you "must" do a sedan and track is a big on your list, go with the GLI. My Golf R is infinitely more fun to throw around and more practical then a Jetta. That being said, the Arteon IS fun to drive aggressively. The Manual mode isn't bad and holds the gear without shifting.
      Toyin
      2012 Golf R . Rising Blue. Stage 1+
      2019 Arteon SEL-P Pure White

11. Semi-n00b
      09-17-2020 02:53 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
      If you "must" do a sedan and track is a big on your list, go with the GLI. My Golf R is infinitely more fun to throw around and more practical then a Jetta. That being said, the Arteon IS fun to drive aggressively. The Manual mode isn't bad and holds the gear without shifting.
      It doesn’t have to be a sedan per se, just needs to have 4 doors.

The main reason I like the Jetta is the interior room. It’s noticeably larger in the back seat area. The Jetta doesn’t have the hatch but I’m more Concerned with passenger room. We have an Atlas if we need to haul anything that’s oversized.

I was even looking at an S3, I figured it would basically be an R version of the Jetta. Unfortunately though, the S3 is also smaller than the Jetta. Even the S4 is not as big interior wise as a Jetta. So annoying.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, Rising Blue
      09-17-2020 05:15 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Cochise_82 View Post
      It doesn’t have to be a sedan per se, just needs to have 4 doors.

The main reason I like the Jetta is the interior room. It’s noticeably larger in the back seat area. The Jetta doesn’t have the hatch but I’m more Concerned with passenger room. We have an Atlas if we need to haul anything that’s oversized.

I was even looking at an S3, I figured it would basically be an R version of the Jetta. Unfortunately though, the S3 is also smaller than the Jetta. Even the S4 is not as big interior wise as a Jetta. So annoying.
      I'm 6 foot and can fit comfortably behind myself in the Golf R. I haven't been in a Jetta recently, but at least the Mark III and Mark IV Jetta's were identical to the Golf for interior room. The hatchback of the Golf is significantly more useful as well (so you wouldn't need the Atlas all the time). I would routinely put my road or TT bike in the back of the Golf without having to take off the front wheel. I REALLY struggled with the decision to go with the Arteon over a new Golf R. In the end the GT nature of the Arteon and its looks won me over.
      Toyin
      2012 Golf R . Rising Blue. Stage 1+
      2019 Arteon SEL-P Pure White