Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F&I Incompetence

1. Member
      09-17-2020 09:03 AM #26
      Any dealer can sell you the warranty while you are under B2B. email or call around until you find someone who wants an easy sale and isnt a complete moron.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S, 20 Bolt, 20 330i
      09-17-2020 09:31 AM #27
      She's trying to sell you a product some dude just walked in and told her she could make 50% commission on.

I email too. I can't imagine having a phone conversation with anyone at a dealer, walking in, and having the exact terms we verbally discussed written down on a piece of paper. That fact this person cannot comprehend is not your problem. Though I probably would've asked for the Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty, not use the phrase "in-house".

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-17-2020 09:45 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      One other point re: phone call, this is the kind of thing I want in writing. I don't want a verbal negotiation and then get there and oh look they "forgot" and I don't have it in writing.
      This is where you send an email confirming your earlier conversation and ask the recipient to reply.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      09-17-2020 09:58 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      This is where you send an email confirming your earlier conversation and ask the recipient to reply.
      Yeah, it's kind of amateur hour in here. Quick five minute call, cover any questions and misunderstandings, "Please email me the details and pricing of these warranties we discussed", contact next Mercedes warranty seller...

Also, you guys can't get so upset every time you interact with someone that isn't spectacular at their job. It's just life in the world we live in. You can grow older, and have everything piss you off all the time because you think you're brilliant and everyone else is an idiot, or just accept the realities of life and be more patient.

6. Senior Member
      09-17-2020 10:21 AM #30
      Have you asked on Mercedes forums where folks get their extended warranty? Maybe there is a preferred dealer that Mercedes folk use for extended warranty quotes.

I purchased an extended warranty for my Ford Escape. Lots of folks on a Ford Escape forum use Flood Ford out of RI. That's where I went.

For example, here's what the Ford site looks like. I went with 8/125.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Vehicles
      One SUV, One CUV, One Hairdressermobile
      09-17-2020 10:29 AM #31
      I call - make the deal, then ask them to email me it to confirm.

Win win.
      You get your quick and dirty done and over with

If they botch it on the email, you correct them and it’s all sorted.

Or, we would hope it to be...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      09-17-2020 10:34 AM #32
      Us millenials don't want to make a call and talk to another human voice, yuck.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-17-2020 10:39 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Yeah, it's kind of amateur hour in here. Quick five minute call, cover any questions and misunderstandings, "Please email me the details and pricing of these warranties we discussed", contact next Mercedes warranty seller...

Also, you guys can't get so upset every time you interact with someone that isn't spectacular at their job. It's just life in the world we live in. You can grow older, and have everything piss you off all the time because you think you're brilliant and everyone else is an idiot, or just accept the realities of life and be more patient.
      Exactly. And if the person never sends the email confirmation, you don't have to give them your business.

I'm also curious to know what the OP does for a living. He must live a charmed life if he thinks this person is so incompetent as to be "unemployable". I work with people every day who have a lot more responsibility than a dealership F&I person (and who get paid boat loads more money) that make this F&I person look like Warren Buffett.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

09-17-2020 10:44 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Kapoosh1 View Post
      I didn't even bother with the negotiating when we bought our GLC43 a couple years ago. The dealer we bought it from wanted an insane amount for the 3/75 warranty.

Do yourself a favor and email Jeff- [email protected]. Assuming he's still there, he'll sell you a MB Extended warranty for cheaper than anywhere else. Think I paid $1,900 for mine.
      That's what I would do- go on mbworld and benzworld and take a quick look at who is doing cheap MB extended warranties. They're going to be way cheaper than your local dealer.

That F&I person is stupid- I wouldn't call them- I'd get whatever they're saying in writing. But regardless, get the warranty from a different dealer and bypass the stupidity. Any other terms, I'd get in writing as well, because you obviously can't trust them to do anything correctly.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Greyvdub since 2005; '18 Stelvio Sport, '14 Abarth, '99 M-Coupe, '74 Fulvia
      09-17-2020 11:23 AM #35
      you sound like you're always the smartest guy in the room, thats for sure. eeek, Def not.

Maybe the associate is new? Maybe the associate is following strict communication guidelines?

Pick up the phone and call. Try to put yourself in her shoes.

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      09-17-2020 12:30 PM #36
      F & I can absolutely be the best or the worst part of buying a car.

i had a horrible experience buying a Mini Cooper S. I went to the dealer, agreed to a 2.99 rate on a used car because i have excellent credit (780+). happily take the deal with a great price, salesguy is helpful and polite, love the car, take it home. i get a call two days later from the Finance Manager saying that the dealer ran the wrong persons credit and i needed to sign new contract to the tune of 12.99 interest. the finance manager was an unbelievable biotch to me on the phone, saying that i had "stolen the car," and i'd have the car repo'ed, and my credit ruined. we got into an argument over the phone which ended eventually with me saying that i'm not taking a rate at XYZ when we already agreed to a rate of 2.99. it was her/the dealers mistake. I had a signed purchase order, i had signed financed paperwork, a valid title for the vehicle, and had physical possession of the vehicle.

Our state laws are very specific about this issue, once the PO is signed and you take possession of the car it is YOURS. the dealer is obligated to finance you at the agreed rate. the contracts are a two way street and apply to both parties equally, you're obligated to make payments, they are obligated to finance. failing to do so is called a "spot delivery" and is illegal for the dealer in our state. it made the first two weeks of owning the car a living hell. for two weeks i couldn't even take the car out of my garage for fear of it getting repo'ed, they had all my information via my credit app, including my work address. the lady even had the balls to call my employer trying to reach me, telling my boss that i had illegally obtained the car...unbelievable.

long story short, the finance manager was trying to cover her ass for the screw up by making me agree to a higher rate at a net profit for the dealer, without telling anyone else at the dealer. After several calls to the GM of the dealer, talking with an attorney about my legal options, calling our state's regulatory agency for dealers, the state attorney general, and a ton of heartache/worry, the dealer agreed to cover the difference in rates...which was non-existent because the FM was jacking the rate up on me intentionally, apparently they re-ran my credit an my approved rate was 2.99 as originally agreed. as i understand the mistake cost her the job she had. I spent nearly 14 days with my car in hiding, with a stern warning from my attorney that since the dealer knew where i worked and where i lived, they could repo the car or worse, report it as stolen...thankfully the dealer wasn't quite that shady. still...insane.

this was a well known, large volume, and generally respected CHAIN of New/Used multi-line dealerships. Goes to show a few bad apples and incompetents are common in any dealer structure.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-17-2020 12:40 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post

i had a horrible experience buying a Mini Cooper S...[insert F&I horror story here]

I understand there can be a difference between the "right" and "correct" answer but it would have to be a very special car for me to go through all that. My response to the call where she claimed the original PO was invalid would have been that I'm on my way to the dealership with their car, which they can keep because they'd lost my business. Yes, my principles would in that case prevent me from acquiring a car I wanted, but I can get a car anywhere without giving my money to people like that, causing trouble at work and having to involve an attorney.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      09-17-2020 01:13 PM #38

i had a horrible experience buying a Mini Cooper S. I went to the dealer, agreed to a 2.99 rate on a used car because i have excellent credit (780+). happily take the deal with a great price, salesguy is helpful and polite, love the car, take it home. i get a call two days later from the Finance Manager saying that the dealer ran the wrong persons credit and i needed to sign new contract to the tune of 12.99 interest. the finance manager was an unbelievable biotch to me on the phone, saying that i had "stolen the car," and i'd have the car repo'ed, and my credit ruined. we got into an argument over the phone which ended eventually with me saying that i'm not taking a rate at XYZ when we already agreed to a rate of 2.99. it was her/the dealers mistake. I had a signed purchase order, i had signed financed paperwork, a valid title for the vehicle, and had physical possession of the vehicle.

Our state laws are very specific about this issue, once the PO is signed and you take possession of the car it is YOURS. the dealer is obligated to finance you at the agreed rate. the contracts are a two way street and apply to both parties equally, you're obligated to make payments, they are obligated to finance. failing to do so is called a "spot delivery" and is illegal for the dealer in our state. it made the first two weeks of owning the car a living hell. for two weeks i couldn't even take the car out of my garage for fear of it getting repo'ed, they had all my information via my credit app, including my work address. the lady even had the balls to call my employer trying to reach me, telling my boss that i had illegally obtained the car...unbelievable.

long story short, the finance manager was trying to cover her ass for the screw up by making me agree to a higher rate at a net profit for the dealer, without telling anyone else at the dealer. After several calls to the GM of the dealer, talking with an attorney about my legal options, calling our state's regulatory agency for dealers, the state attorney general, and a ton of heartache/worry, the dealer agreed to cover the difference in rates...which was non-existent because the FM was jacking the rate up on me intentionally, apparently they re-ran my credit an my approved rate was 2.99 as originally agreed. as i understand the mistake cost her the job she had. I spent nearly 14 days with my car in hiding, with a stern warning from my attorney that since the dealer knew where i worked and where i lived, they could repo the car or worse, report it as stolen...thankfully the dealer wasn't quite that shady. still...insane.

this was a well known, large volume, and generally respected CHAIN of New/Used multi-line dealerships. Goes to show a few bad apples and incompetents are common in any dealer structure.
      That's an awful story. Back in 2011 when I bought my MKV R32 the F&I office charged me $2k less for the car by pulling the wrong stock number (there were 2 CPO R32s on the lot and mine was listed $2k higher than the other one on the lot). I could have told them to pound sand since the purchase agreement was complete, but I had (and still have) a great relationship with the service department and didn't want to sour that moving forward. We agreed to split the difference on the $2k and they dropped my rate another quarter of a percent.

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      09-17-2020 03:01 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      That's an awful story. Back in 2011 when I bought my MKV R32 the F&I office charged me $2k less for the car by pulling the wrong stock number (there were 2 CPO R32s on the lot and mine was listed $2k higher than the other one on the lot). I could have told them to pound sand since the purchase agreement was complete, but I had (and still have) a great relationship with the service department and didn't want to sour that moving forward. We agreed to split the difference on the $2k and they dropped my rate another quarter of a percent.
      that would have been the adult thing to do in their case, but they failed to do so. it would have been easy to walk away from the deal, but i needed a car and already owned the damn thing after searching for the exact spec i wanted. i was also worried had i walked away the lady would have trashed my credit for whatever reason.

i've not used dealer financing since and never really plan to again unless it's some crazy 0% deal that you can't get elsewhere.

OP, sorry you had to go through what you did, places like that really don't deserve your business. that said, their management may not even know the issue exists, so might be worth speaking with their sales manager or GM.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

16. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      09-17-2020 08:42 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      I email too. I can't imagine having a phone conversation with anyone at a dealer, walking in, and having the exact terms we verbally discussed written down on a piece of paper. That fact this person cannot comprehend is not your problem. Though I probably would've asked for the Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty, not use the phrase "in-house".
      Right, I mean if you show someone a link in writing and they still don't get it, picking up a phone to describe the link seems utterly futile. And even if I did get through, we all know what's written on the paper when you get there would 100% not be the same. Best to cut my losses immediately at the first sign of incompetence since I can get the warranty anywhere, anytime.

Had I picked up the phone and still gotten nowhere, the peanut gallery would be all "Well you're an idiot for calling someone who clearly didn't have a clue right off the bat, would've been a lot smarter to just walk away right away and go elsewhere." We all know this is how it would've gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      I'm also curious to know what the OP does for a living. He must live a charmed life if he thinks this person is so incompetent as to be "unemployable". I work with people every day who have a lot more responsibility than a dealership F&I person (and who get paid boat loads more money) that make this F&I person look like Warren Buffett.
      Chemical engineer, not that it's relevant. Incompetence is everywhere, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      That's what I would do- go on mbworld and benzworld and take a quick look at who is doing cheap MB extended warranties. They're going to be way cheaper than your local dealer.

That F&I person is stupid- I wouldn't call them- I'd get whatever they're saying in writing. But regardless, get the warranty from a different dealer and bypass the stupidity. Any other terms, I'd get in writing as well, because you obviously can't trust them to do anything correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by greyvdub_v2.0 View Post
      you sound like you're always the smartest guy in the room, thats for sure. eeek, Def not.

Maybe the associate is new? Maybe the associate is following strict communication guidelines?

Pick up the phone and call. Try to put yourself in her shoes.
      Lol. Yeah, if the bar is being capable of answering the question that is asked, then sure, because so few people are able to do that for some reason. Again, see it all day long.

Strict communication guidelines to ignore and not understand the request or explain why what was quoted doesn't match what's on her own website? Lmao. Ok.

that would have been the adult thing to do in their case, but they failed to do so. it would have been easy to walk away from the deal, but i needed a car and already owned the damn thing after searching for the exact spec i wanted. i was also worried had i walked away the lady would have trashed my credit for whatever reason.

i've not used dealer financing since and never really plan to again unless it's some crazy 0% deal that you can't get elsewhere.

OP, sorry you had to go through what you did, places like that really don't deserve your business. that said, their management may not even know the issue exists, so might be worth speaking with their sales manager or GM.
      Sorry for your crap experience you had.

At the end of the day it's no big deal. I can buy the warranty anywhere and anytime during the normal warranty so no point picking up the phone and having more hilarity and frustration ensue when I can just wash my hands of it and cross "Wife's warranty" off my to do list and look into it in a few years.
      Last edited by puma1552; 09-17-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12