VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F&I Incompetence

1. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      09-16-2020 03:53 PM #1
      Grab some stress gummies and a beer and turn on your fireplace.

Email discussion with F&I Manager, the person who very likely will be writing my finance contract, which makes me cringe. This is regarding getting a simple quote for the bread and butter de facto standard product in-house Mercedes (no 3rd party) extended warranty. Paraphrasing below.

Important to note: depending where you look, the years on the extended warranty can be and are expressed in both terms of additional years (1, 2, or 3) beyond the standard 4-year warranty or total years including the standard 4-year warranty (5, 6, 7). This shouldn't be and really isn't an issue if you turn your brain to the lowest voltage setting, but keep this in mind as you read, even though it never really factors in. This dealership in particular lists it in terms of additional years on their site. The other local dealer referenced below lists it in terms of total years. Don't get lost in this though, this isn't the issue - the issue is F&I doesn't even know wtf they are selling, or what I'm asking.

F&I: "Hello, I have been told by your sales guy that you are interested in getting a quote for the in-house MB warranty for your incoming car. How much do you drive and how long are you going to keep the car?"

Me (thinking): Why does it matter, just answer the initial question by providing the quote up front, let's not turn a 2-email chain into a 10-email chain. I appreciate the help, but I can make my own decisions on how much I drive and I'd much more appreciate a straightforward answer with the requested information the first time.

Me: "Probably looking at the 3/75k option (3 additional years, 75k total miles), but I'd still like to see prices for all options."

F&I: "There is no 3/75k option. Here are quotes (sidebar: she would have to be quoting total years here, not additional):

4/75k: $3531
      5/100k: $4428
      6/100k: $4970"

Me (thinking): What the f*ck? The Mercedes in-house extended warranty has 6 options, not 3. Per your own website, in terms of additional years:

1/75k
      1/100k
      2/75k
      2/100k
      3/75k
      3/100k

It has the 5/100k and 6/100k, but there isn't even a 4/75k (which would be 0 additional years, 75k total miles). This sh*t is spelled out right on your own g*ddamn website. It's also spelled out on another local dealer's website, same warranty, and they clearly list prices too. Why do I have to explain your f*cking product to you? Why is it also 1000% predictable that I would have to?

Me: "I'm not sure where the disconnect is but your own website lists 6 options, none of which are a 4/75k option. This other local dealer lists the same warranty (albeit in total years, not additional, but same data) and they show a price of $2,750 for the 3/75k option (provided links to both). Not sure where the disconnect is or if we are talking about different products, but I guess we will just pass and revisit purchasing one closer to the end of the standard warranty if the car is reliable and we decide to keep it."

F&I: "There's lots of variables we can look at which is why I need to know the years kept and mileage driven. (Direct quote here: ) The quotes you are looking at may not even meet your needs. 3 years 75k? Do you drive 25k/year?"

Me (thinking): OMFG its 3 additional years and 75k total miles. It's not 75k miles on top of the standard 50k mile warranty wtf? By that logic the 1/100 option would be for people driving 100k miles in 1 year? lmao, that's not how your product works. She's almost contradicting herself too by saying the options won't meet my needs, while simultaneously seeming like driving 25k a year is incredulous and way overkill (which it is) - seems like by that logic 3/75k would far, far, far exceed my needs.

Me (Direct quote): "Hi XXX, The 3/75 is 3 additional years (7 years total) and 75k total miles. Again, the warranties on both websites are the same (as they should be), and don't appear to be what you originally quoted. In any regards, since this seems more complicated than it needs to be, we will pass on any extended warranty coverage. Thanks, XX and YY"

Praying to god that's the end of the conversation, I don't want to see another reply about this.
      Last edited by puma1552; 09-16-2020 at 04:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      MK5 GTI, Ford Escape Ecoboost 1.6 4WD
      09-16-2020 04:00 PM #2
      I would normally never willingly call a sales person but this may just be a 60 second conversation to get the details ironed out.
      Driver Motorsport K04+ | RFD | EJ FMIC | EJ 3" Turboback | Peloquin LSD | SRE clutch
      Neuspeed P-Flo | IE catch can | Brembo 17z BBK | Neuspeed RSe12 | RB 2-piece rotors
      .:R32 Rear bumper | Votex lip | Koni coilovers | RCD510 | S3 short shifter | APR HPFP

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-16-2020 04:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      I would normally never willingly call a sales person but this may just be a 60 second conversation to get the details ironed out.
      This. Most people have poor written communication skills and/or poor reading comprehension. I hate talking to sales people as much as anyone, but the car business seems to work a lot better with live discussion rather than email or text.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-16-2020 04:06 PM #4
      Yep - as soon as I saw "email discussion" my thought was pick up the phone and call.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      09-16-2020 04:06 PM #5
      I don't know, I feel a phone call is pointless here too, almost needs to be done in person so I can point at the computer screen since clearly providing a link didn't do sh!t. I don't know how you can look at the link of your own website I give you that contradicts what you said and not realize you're f*cking up. I mean if I provide you a link that clearly lists the product and you still don't get it, it's pretty hopeless and I'm not sure a phone call would do any good. If anything, once a website is involved, it's much harder to have that discussion over the phone.
      Last edited by puma1552; 09-16-2020 at 04:09 PM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      09-16-2020 04:22 PM #6
      Sounds like maybe the F&I is trying to push a 3rd party warranty product with different terms?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-16-2020 04:30 PM #7
      This def didn't warrant a thread... I agree with whoever said a phone call would sort this out in 4 minutes
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      09-16-2020 04:33 PM #8
      Yeah, pick up the phone. The fact that you came here first instead of already handling this is quite silly.

BTW, is this Mercedes subcompact gonna be like $60k all-in by the end of this saga? Yikes duder.

10. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-16-2020 04:37 PM #9
      Sales people always push for you to buy more, have short memories, and hate reading. Looking at this email chain it sounded like she first tried to push you into a bigger contract by saying the smaller one didn't exist. When she read your reply she totally forgot about the earlier conversation and didn't reread the email chain which lead her to conclude you making some silly request. Ultimately this conversation should have happened in-person/on the phone/on Zoom.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      09-16-2020 04:48 PM #10
      Let's see what new pointless drama puma has made for himself this week...
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      09-16-2020 04:58 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Yep - as soon as I saw "email discussion" my thought was pick up the phone and text.
      I fixed it, its 2020
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      09-16-2020 05:05 PM #12
      This is why I bought a Honda.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-16-2020 05:11 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      I fixed it, its 2020

15. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      09-16-2020 05:27 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      Sounds like maybe the F&I is trying to push a 3rd party warranty product with different terms?
      That's what I see. F&I person sounds new, and they're selling the 3rd party and not off the OEM offerings.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      2018 M3 Competition, 2004 Honda S2000, 2020 Volvo XC60 T5 R Design
      09-16-2020 05:37 PM #15
      See, the easiest thing would have been to answer the question "how long do you plan on keeping the car and how much do you drive" with 7 years/75000 miles. Then, you would have gotten the answer you were looking for without eleventy billion emails back and forth.

17. Member
      09-16-2020 05:55 PM #16
      I didn't even bother with the negotiating when we bought our GLC43 a couple years ago. The dealer we bought it from wanted an insane amount for the 3/75 warranty.

Do yourself a favor and email Jeff- [email protected]. Assuming he's still there, he'll sell you a MB Extended warranty for cheaper than anywhere else. Think I paid $1,900 for mine.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-16-2020 06:03 PM #17
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

19. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-16-2020 06:42 PM #18
      cant this be bought later on anyways? i thought oem extended warranties can be purchased at any time as longer as the current car is < x miles or years.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      09-16-2020 07:15 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      cant this be bought later on anyways? i thought oem extended warranties can be purchased at any time as longer as the current car is < x miles or years.
      Usually the terms are while the car is still under the factory warranty, you can purchase the OEM extended warranty.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      09-16-2020 07:28 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      See, the easiest thing would have been to answer the question "how long do you plan on keeping the car and how much do you drive" with 7 years/75000 miles. Then, you would have gotten the answer you were looking for without eleventy billion emails back and forth.
      I did answer it in my first reply to her. I told her right away I wanted the 3/75k, which is when she told me that didn't exist. Did you read the thread?

Pretty much this. It's a classic case of not listening or answering the question that was asked, deal with this every f*ckin' day in every f*ckin' department at every f*ckin' level at work. Even after pointing out the warranty of interest on their own site, she still didn't get it. I only asked about one warranty, and used the specific and correct name for that warranty, so there's zero reason for any other warranty to worm its way into the conversation. I even gave her an out like "I don't know if we are talking about different products" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapoosh1 View Post
      I didn't even bother with the negotiating when we bought our GLC43 a couple years ago. The dealer we bought it from wanted an insane amount for the 3/75 warranty.

Do yourself a favor and email Jeff- [email protected]. Assuming he's still there, he'll sell you a MB Extended warranty for cheaper than anywhere else. Think I paid $1,900 for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      It can, I have until the end of the 4/50k factory warranty to buy. I've had a really smooth and pleasant process so far (great sales guy, sales manager, and parts manager) and was just thinking that it might be cheaper to get it up front as part of the negotiation deal and not have to deal with it as an expense later, knowing it's fully refundable before it takes effect and/or can be refunded pro-rata once into it if you sell the car. I realize I could probably also try and negotiate later, but thought it would just be a smoother process up front possibly with a larger chance of a larger discount.

Also this is the finance manager, not some underling. Could still be new, but there's still no real excuse to not understand what the product of interest is when it's being pointed out to you on your own website.

I'll be passing on the warranty at this time and I'll just deal with it later if she doesn't put the car into the burshes and fents.

One other point re: phone call, this is the kind of thing I want in writing. I don't want a verbal negotiation and then get there and oh look they "forgot" and I don't have it in writing.
      Last edited by puma1552; 09-16-2020 at 07:30 PM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Bolt, 2012 E93 BMW M3
      09-16-2020 07:30 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Yeah, pick up the phone. The fact that you came here first instead of already handling this is quite silly.

BTW, is this Mercedes subcompact gonna be like $60k all-in by the end of this saga? Yikes duder.
      Yes a repeat of the $40k Tiguan from a few years ago.

09-16-2020 08:49 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      This def didn't warrant a thread... I agree with whoever said a phone call would sort this out in 4 minutes
      I looked into a manufacturer extended service contract years back and even over the phone: I got answers all over the place, very similar to what OP is dealing with. I rejected the clowns whose quotes didn't match what the manufacturer listed.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      09-16-2020 08:59 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      I looked into a manufacturer extended service contract years back and even over the phone: I got answers all over the place, very similar to what OP is dealing with. I rejected the clowns whose quotes didn't match what the manufacturer listed.
      The other element here is: email, phone call, in person - regardless, why do I have to hand hold and educate someone on their own products, especially when I'm trying to give them money for these products and they depend on that money? Why do I need to walk you through your job to get the basics right so you can profit off me?

I mean at what point is someone just unemployable?

09-16-2020 09:02 PM #24
      I fired my last dealer, in part, because the F&I manager was either criminally incompetent or an outright crook. Unfortunately, if a dealership has one idiot in a critical position, what does that say about any of the other people who work there or the organization as a whole? Birds of a feather flock together.

Some buyers prize money over anything else and are willing to put up with all sorts of shenanigans in order to pay the lowest price (note this isn’t necessarily the same as the “best” deal). Other people prize a smooth, no fuss transaction with no shenanigans and are willing to grant the dealer a reasonable profit margin in exchange. Some people fall somewhere in between.

My time is too valuable so I’m quick to walk away from any dealership being shady or stupid. In fact, I’m considering using a broker next time I get a new car to avoid the dealership entirely.

26. Member
      09-17-2020 09:01 AM #25
      I think you're definitely being too critical of the "how much do you drive" question. They are clearly trying to help there you said there is a 1 year 75K miles and 1 year 100K miles. I think you said the regular warranty is 4 years 50K miles. So if you have the choice to extend to 1/75K or 1/100K then the amount you drive is relevant. If you drive 15K miles a year than 5 years would get you to 75K miles and you would want the lower mileage warranty but if you drove 20K miles a year you would exceed the 75K miles in 5 years and might want to consider stepping up the 100K limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast