VWVortex.com - Fuel hose, accumulator to pump...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Fuel hose, accumulator to pump...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Fox 2-dr, 1994 Ford F-150, 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
      09-16-2020 05:22 PM #1
      As you will all be able to tell from the title, yes, one of the hard-to-find hoses is about to fail on my '92 2-door. I'm working my noggin pretty hard trying to come up with a durable alternative, but if anyone has a source for a replacement or another solution, I am all ears. Thanks in advance - Chris

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '88 Fox Wagon, '87 Fox Wagon; '02 Passat GLS Wagon 5-speed (So;Two Foxes, & A Pig!)+ a 2000 Audi A4
      09-18-2020 01:36 PM #2
      hey there MillerAPF92Fox...How about just a replacement length of fuel hose...? I recall doing this on Woody I another lifetime ago...it happened at work: a printing shop with large, billboard format, inkjet printers...one of the machine operators offered me a length of 5/16ths I.D. hose that they would use to repair split lines within the printers: since the ink is corrosive, the line was heavy duty enough to transfer fuel without issue...I used gear clamps to secure the ends; had no leaks, was satisfied with the quick fix, and figured I would fix it properly later on....the repair lasted for the rest of the life of the car...!!! ...more recently I have had to replace a couple of fuel pumps in my B5s, (Passat Wagon & A4), and have used fuel grade hose made by Goodyear to replace brittle fuel lines within the tank...so long as you remember 5/16ths I.D. for the hose you choose, and to get a couple of small gear clamps, you should be okay...though the system IS pressurized; it isn't super high pressure that can't be contained with those materials...Hope This Helps...Be Safe...Best of Success...!!!
      KRAMMIT ...STAY TUNED! I KNOW I DO!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      09-18-2020 09:00 PM #3
      Thanks, KRAMMIT. If I'm remembering correctly, doesn't the hose in question have ends of two different ID's? Or is it the pump-to-filter hose that's made like that? It's been long enough since I've had to mess with that area under the car that my memory is less than complete.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      09-21-2020 08:41 PM #4
      Got it going again. I was afraid I was going to have to be out of the car for a while. Took a foot of 3/8" fuel hose, a foot of 7/16" fuel hose and a few brass hose barbs and couplers to do the trick, but a more permanent, appropriate and good-looking alternative is soon in the works.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Fox Wagon, 1993 VW Fox 2 door(sold), 1973 Roadrunner, 1995 Bronco, '12 Sonata
      09-22-2020 05:28 PM #5
      Miller, you may have just solved my issue as well! I had a hose suffer from unexpected, rapid disassembly, I replaced it, and now I can't keep it running. could have a fuel pressure issue because of a too small fuel hose.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      09-22-2020 06:28 PM #6
      Hey, Who! Makes me happy to think my experience has helped another! Just a thought, though - have you confirmed that the in-tank pump is working properly? I had the hose that THAT pump hangs ftom deteriorate into oblivion, such that the main pump wasn't getting ANY fuel... I'm thinking of a longer-term solution that involves machining some hose fittings and soldering a stick of hard pipe between them, as well as a built-from-scratch accumulator/expansion tank/whatchamacallit to eliminate the goofy hose...

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Fox Wagon, 1993 VW Fox 2 door(sold), 1973 Roadrunner, 1995 Bronco, '12 Sonata
      Yesterday 05:50 PM #7
      Good point, I have not. It will start and run for two seconds, then dies. Add that to the forever-long list of things to look over XD