The Car Lounge
    Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 BMW M3/M4 to be Unveiled Sept23

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-22-2020 07:30 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      I can’t decide if it’s better or worse with the front plate.
      Better with. Front plate really ties it all together

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-22-2020 07:34 AM #152
      So here's who we have to blame:

BMW Chief Designer Domagoj Dukec sets up a new design team

Domagoj Dukec, responsible for design across the BMW brand since spring 2019, has reshuffled his team. He will be assisted by a line-up of experienced designers with many years of expertise, who will also steer the BMW M and BMW i sub-brands under his leadership.

“I’m very excited about the future focus of our BMW design studios with Domagoj Dukec at the helm,” said Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design, regarding the changes. “The structure now in place ensures greater creativity and agility in our design process. Domagoj’s team have built up a broad experience base in the studios of various BMW Group brands and our Designworks subsidiary.”

The new Head of BMW Exterior Design is Christopher Weil, who moves from his previous position as Exterior Design chief at MINI.

Head of BMW M Design remains Marcus Syring, who has been in the role for three years now.

“Design is key to unlocking the emotionality of future vehicles. It delivers creative solutions and lends form to innovative technologies. With this team of outstanding designers, we have the necessary ingredients in place for the job at hand. Our brief is clear: the design of vehicles from BMW and the BMW M and BMW i sub-brands will represent a clear visual signpost for future mobility.” Domagoj Dukec, Head of BMW Design.

1989 Jetta GLX 16V | 2001 VW GTI 1.8T | 2005 Porsche Boxster 2.7 | 2006 VW GTI 1.8T | 2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 | 2014 Porsche 911 3.6 | 2017 VW Golf R 2.0T

09-22-2020 07:35 AM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Ok, now that M3 is the tits! Still not sold on the nostrils, but it is soooooo much better executed design wise than the M4
      Agreed. The M4 looks like something from Infiniti.
      1989 Jetta GLX 16V | 2001 VW GTI 1.8T | 2005 Porsche Boxster 2.7 | 2006 VW GTI 1.8T | 2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 | 2014 Porsche 911 3.6 | 2017 VW Golf R 2.0T

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      09-22-2020 08:02 AM #154
      Dare I say the grille might look even passable in wagon form? I think the added mass in the rear would balance it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Sheesh, could the M4 look anymore generic and pathetic from the rear 3/4? My how the mighty have fallen!
      It really couldn't, the sedan is so much better looking.

09-22-2020 08:35 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      The official pictures don't make it look any better. The coupe in particular, is a mess.

Definitely worse than the F80 style wise. Performance will undoubtedly be impressive and probably will be the best all-around performer in BMW history.
      I have to disagree - that m3 looks great and the rear fenders are way more resolved than the f80 which used standard doors and had a really tight flare in the rear quarter as a result.

09-22-2020 08:40 AM #156
      Can someone photoshop a us plate on the front of this thing? Also, disappointed that the m3 has a black fender extension on the rear wheel. It’d be the first thing I’d remove.

Vehicles
      Old/German/Broken
      09-22-2020 08:43 AM #157
      “Design is key to unlocking the emotionality of future vehicles. It delivers creative solutions and lends form to innovative technologies. With this team of outstanding designers, we have the necessary ingredients in place for the job at hand. Our brief is clear: the design of vehicles from BMW and the BMW M and BMW i sub-brands will represent a clear visual signpost for future mobility.” Domagoj Dukec, Head of BMW Design.
      This word salad has been sitting in balsamic too long.

Emotionality is the observable behavioral and physiological component of emotion. It is a measure of a person's emotional reactivity to a stimulus. Most of these responses can be observed by other people, while some emotional responses can only be observed by the person experiencing them.
      Why the f**k are we using words like "emotionality" when it comes to designing cars?
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

09-22-2020 08:52 AM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Why the f**k are we using words like "emotionality" when it comes to designing cars?
      Well the fact he's not wearing socks should have been the first clue we'd have a bad looking M3/M4.

Vehicles
      Old/German/Broken
      09-22-2020 08:58 AM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Well the fact he's not wearing socks should have been the first clue we'd have a bad looking M3/M4.

Istockphoto IS28372983_98329_02 "serious creative German designers in austere design setting. Modern. Chic. Dieter Rams' used toilet wand."
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-22-2020 09:12 AM #160
      Seems like the M3 coupe is getting softer a softer with each generation starting with the e92. This car is starting to meld into a 90s Thunderbird. I agree with the others that the M3 looks better. And yet, the rear is so busy with the crease and splitter. I dig the new seats as well---very cool. I might be right around the point where I don't care what BMW does with the transmission in their cars because they're becoming more and more unappealing. I hope they drive nicer than they look.

09-22-2020 09:20 AM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      I really like the M3, sans the pig nose. I actually think it looks better than the F80/82 (again, sans the nose).
      I agree. It's not bad at all...the color is flattering on it. But that said...the pig nose is really off-putting.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

09-22-2020 09:22 AM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Seems like the M3 coupe is getting softer a softer with each generation starting with the e92. This car is starting to meld into a 90s Thunderbird. I agree with the others that the M3 looks better. And yet, the rear is so busy with the crease and splitter. I dig the new seats as well---very cool. I might be right around the point where I don't care what BMW does with the transmission in their cars because they're becoming more and more unappealing. I hope they drive nicer than they look.
      I would normally hold my nose and say "the M3 is better because you can get it in a stick!". But since I drove an Alfa Giulia and learned just how damn good paddle shifter transmissions are, I am looking at this car and wondering why you wouldn't just buy an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio at this point? They seem to have worked out the bugs starting in 2018, the 2020s fix a lot of the interior sins, and the car is just a fantastic vehicle.

The drive would need to be damn good, and BMW would need to offer a damn good lease to make me flip from an Alfa to this.
      Matt

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      09-22-2020 09:26 AM #163
      weirdly, I think I actually dislike the dodge charger indentations in the kidney "humps" even more than the nostrils themselves. that + the generic shape of the M4 are the most disappointing features at this point to me.

If I ever have a commute again, I could see picking up a base F80 when all the local bros upgrade. Otherwise I think I'm done with the M3 for a while.

Vehicles
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      09-22-2020 09:38 AM #164
      M3 is not as bad as I thought it'd be. M4 is terrible.

I'll take one in black (to hide some of the gape), with manual, and brown or red interior. Probably the first time I would only want a car in black.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-22-2020 10:10 AM #165
      I really like the M3, sans the pig nose. I actually think it looks better than the F80/82 (again, sans the nose).
      Agreed. It would look fine with a nose job. Aftermarket bumpers will sell like hot cakes. Really, all it needs is something going across the center to break up giant kidneys so they don't look like buck teeth.

Vehicles
      2020 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      09-22-2020 10:13 AM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Really, all it needs is something going across the center to break up giant kidneys so they don't look like buck teeth.
      Almost as if there's a reason they never have it pictured without a Euro front plate.
      I think this will look even worse in US guise with the skinnier front plate (and no front plate at all).
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-22-2020 10:13 AM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post

The drive would need to be damn good, and BMW would need to offer a damn good lease to make me flip from an Alfa to this.
      I suppose you could ask the same question with the F8x cars. Aside from the driving characteristics, I would say there are more ways you can personalize your 3 series M vs the Guilia. The BMW is available in different body styles, has a lot of ala cart options, available with auto or manual, and has a deeper color palate. There aren't a lot of ways that you can get a QF---and let's face it, people buying cars at this price and of this type like options/personalization. And with the upcoming M3/4, you can also get AWD, which is not available on the QF. Or you can stay with the traditional RWD.

If all you care about is how the car drives, perhaps the QF will remain the victor. But for how people actually buy cars, BMW still has a big advantage. And if the new M3/4 drives even a little better than the F8x cars, that resulting hype ("OMG, BMW is back!") will end up sucking the O2 out of the room. You're going to be left with people asking: "Alfa what?"

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      09-22-2020 10:15 AM #168
      Haven't been in a modern BMW for a while so forgive me..

This strap on the back of seat in this M4 is just to fold the seat forward, right?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-22-2020 10:25 AM #169
      ^no, that handle activates the penis pump at the front of the seat

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      09-22-2020 10:36 AM #170
      I suppose you could ask the same question with the F8x cars. Aside from the driving characteristics, I would say there are more ways you can personalize your 3 series M vs the Guilia. The BMW is available in different body styles, has a lot of ala cart options, available with auto or manual, and has a deeper color palate. There aren't a lot of ways that you can get a QF---and let's face it, people buying cars at this price and of this type like options/personalization. And with the upcoming M3/4, you can also get AWD, which is not available on the QF. Or you can stay with the traditional RWD.

If all you care about is how the car drives, perhaps the QF will remain the victor. But for how people actually buy cars, BMW still has a big advantage. And if the new M3/4 drives even a little better than the F8x cars, that resulting hype ("OMG, BMW is back!") will end up sucking the O2 out of the room. You're going to be left with people asking: "Alfa what?"
      I agree. Good points

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-22-2020 11:36 AM #171
      Agree, other than the nose and the rear bumper side vent things, I like it. The green with brown/tan interior is sick AF.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S, 20 Bolt, 20 330i
      09-22-2020 12:26 PM #172
      Having seen the M3 green over cognac car in person, the nostrils aren't nearly as big as the appear - I kinda like it.

The M4 - just like the previous car - looks too big and overought.

Vehicles
      '16 F82 Krautrocket
      09-22-2020 12:56 PM #173
      I'm typically against the X car looks exactly like Y car, but I cannot unsee the Hyundai G70 in the M3, in particular the head lights and the design of the front fender/quarter panel vent/angle. The rear is ok, but I feel like they phoned in the diffuser/exhaust area, "oh, just make it a box shape like we have since the E46, no one will notice." Just seems very lazily integrated.

The M4 just looks bland and generic, maybe the proportions will play better in real life, but in photos, there isn't much setting this apart from the regular 4 series; I suppose the same could be said about the F82 but at least that car still looked definitively BMW. This new M4 looks like they took their favorite lines from Audi, MB, and Camaro and then sprinkled in some BMW.

The headlights on both seem too effeminate which magnifies the grotesque nature of the large nostrils, I'm assuming on purpose, but for instance if the outgoing 2019/20 F8x headlights were on there, I think it would look better because they have a more angular/aggressive look to them

Those seats tho...are those actually going to be an option? Or just pre-production flair.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

09-22-2020 01:02 PM #174

I can't really disagree with any of those points.

I also suspect leases will move a lot of M3s. Leasing on the Quadrifoglio is unbelievably horrible.
      Matt

26. Member
      Vehicles
      V60, Type-R
      09-22-2020 01:06 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I would normally hold my nose and say "the M3 is better because you can get it in a stick!". But since I drove an Alfa Giulia and learned just how damn good paddle shifter transmissions are, I am looking at this car and wondering why you wouldn't just buy an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio at this point? They seem to have worked out the bugs starting in 2018, the 2020s fix a lot of the interior sins, and the car is just a fantastic vehicle.

Agree the manual will be a selling feature for small minority (Cadillac is also going to offer a manual), but if you're after an AWD automatic sedan, I think I'd just go RS3. If you're after a RWD automatic sedan, the QF is hard to beat and so much less common vs M3/M4.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast