VWVortex.com - EBC Brakes - What's the deal?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBC Brakes - What's the deal?

Vehicles
      Oil-Thirsty Broad
      09-18-2020 03:59 PM #1
      Prior to a long roadtrip a few months back, I decided to swap a slightly more aggressive rotor/pad combo onto my car. Nothing crazy, just a bitier pad and more durable rotor.

Having always been a Bosch/Brembo guy, I decided to try out EBC, as its apparently a pretty sporty setup to run.

So no big deal, I order the set, I pop them on, I break them in, and I go on about my business --> or so I thought.

I don't know if this is an EBC exclusive feature or what, but the brake dust is atrocious. This stuff sheds itself more than a housecat coughing up balls of hair.

It was only about 750 miles into use that I started to experience horrendous vibrations from the actual pads and rotors depending on the temp of the brakes and how hard I'm pressing. Its not a 'traditional' warp, but rather most certainly just huge build-ups of pad sediment, as these vibrations are intermittent.

Anyone else have experience with EBC's? I've done about 5K on them and they're honestly pretty sh*t in my time with them. Likely going to go back to Bosch.

Here's images of the dust collection only about 100-200 miles after I cleaned them.

Seriously, whats the deal?
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      981 Cayman, '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-18-2020 04:05 PM #2
      aggressive pads will dust more. if that's a pic of 200 miles, that's not all that bad. go look at bmw's lol

Vehicles
      Oil-Thirsty Broad
      09-18-2020 04:10 PM #3
      certainly not an excuse for those horrible vibrations though, no?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      18 Taco, 83 GTI
      09-18-2020 04:18 PM #4
      No idea why this would be an EBC specific issue but I've run multiple sets (Green Stuff and Yellow Stuff) without issue. Yes, the yellows dust quite a bit but no more than most semi-metallic pads I've had.

As far as vibrations go, my 2013 Abarth has Yellow Stuffs all around that feel great and just completed a track day last Monday without issue.

6. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-18-2020 04:51 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Ziemniak View Post
      certainly not an excuse for those horrible vibrations though, no?
      vibrations could be a lot of things. wheel balance, bushings, rotors, brake piston, etc...

Vehicles
      Oil-Thirsty Broad
      09-18-2020 05:03 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      vibrations could be a lot of things. wheel balance, bushings, rotors, brake piston, etc...
      Nah, this is directly from the rotor/pad's.

Absolutely not through any bushings or the piston

8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-18-2020 05:08 PM #7
      Nah, this is directly from the rotor/pad's.

Absolutely not through any bushings or the piston
      not sure then, unless pads are moving around or worn a weird way

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-18-2020 05:14 PM #8
      EBC's have a break in coating that takes like 800 miles to wear off. Maybe that stuff is your problem. I've never bought any because that just seems stupid.

10. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-18-2020 06:05 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      EBC's have a break in coating that takes like 800 miles to wear off. Maybe that stuff is your problem. I've never bought any because that just seems stupid.
      wow that is dumb. what's their logic for that. so trying to bed them in would do nothing?

Vehicles
      325ci, 325xi
      09-18-2020 06:10 PM #10
      I've very much enjoyed my EBC green pads on my dailies, they do dust a bit but grab pretty nice and don't squeal. Never had a buildup that causes vibration. My project car runs EBC slotted rotors with Hawk pads, no rotor issues, and believe me, I've gotten those undersized discs hot

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      09-18-2020 06:13 PM #11
      Most decent pads that perform well generate quite a bit of dust.

I have StopTech front pads on my Infiniti and they darken the front wheels regularly. But they perform well, other than when completely cold.

The sediment vibration you're experiencing would be really annoying though.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      09-18-2020 07:00 PM #12
      Hawc HP+ pads on my M3. Driving it around town for a day was enough to dust the wheels to a darker shade than when clean (bottom). The top pic is about 2 weeks of mostly highway and country road driving, around 1,000 miles.

Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat 3.6l 4motion
      09-18-2020 07:08 PM #13
      You don't mention which EBC pads you installed. I put EBC Red pads on my MINI and they have been great, the car stops better and I see no dust at all on the wheels.
      2008 Passat VR6 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2010 MINI Cooper S, Dnepr MT-16 motorcycle

15. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Oil-Thirsty Broad
      09-18-2020 08:39 PM #14
      Yeah, I was pretty anal about the break in period of my pads.

It was 500 miles and I was fairly particular with how I went about it.

The pads I got were the Ultimax 2's.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      09-18-2020 09:58 PM #15
      One of the Sciroccos currently has EBC green stuff pads and EBC slotted rotors. Not a single issue.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

17. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Oil-Thirsty Broad
      09-19-2020 01:46 AM #16
      I dunno then, maybe its just me.

I've just never had a set of brakes act so awkwardly before. One minute they're fine, the next its like a wave of distortions on the face of the rotor. I can only assume that its a build-up of pad material not getting swept off.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-19-2020 03:32 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      wow that is dumb. what's their logic for that. so trying to bed them in would do nothing?
      The Brake-In coating is very abrasive, which "prepares" the rotor surface for subsequent bedding in process.

It makes the brakes very grabby for about 100 miles.

I had Redstuff with Stoptech rotors, no issues with uneven pad deposits or vibrations on the previous car. Never got around to the heat-cycling bedding in process, because didn't have anywhere safe to do it.

Now, Centric started to use it on their "new" Posi-Quiet Pro pads.

https://ebcbrakes.com/about-ebc/faqs/

Bedding in when the red EBC surface coating (marked on the pads as Brake In) is applied.
      Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.
      Only after 200 miles of urban driving (not 200 miles on a motorway/freeway where brakes are used less) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding, slow from 60 mph to 10 mph five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.

A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have totally cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

Never attempt to sand or scotchbrite brake pads to assist it bedding in or noise reduction: this will only make things worse by taking the pads “off-flat” and require hundreds of miles driving to seat them again during which time the brakes will feel very dull. The only way to seat pads is against the rotor they will be used on and by following our bedding recommendation.

And video on Centric PQ Pro MU500
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

19. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      09-19-2020 08:25 PM #18
      I've had the EBC reds up front with the larger A8 rotors. No dust, no vibrations and they have lasted a long time.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

09-20-2020 11:58 AM #19
      I've always been a big fan of EBC pads since I did them on a 98 GLX I had. I actually recommend them to people who want something a bit more aggressive but don't want a race pad.
      Lower all the Things.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      17 BRZ, A4 Quattro 6MT, 91 Miata (300 HP)
      09-21-2020 11:46 AM #20
      Honestly, I've always thought EBC's were utter garbage... I've literally seen the pad material separate from the backing plate during a students first track day. It nearly cost him the car, but luckily we went off in an area with a lot of runoff. I advise everyone to stay away from them on-track if possible. Even their supposedly track capable pads were trash. I was able to get them to fade in like ~5 mid pace laps. Even on the street I've found them to be really lackluster. I'd recommend the below over EBC's:

Here's my recommendations for a pure street performance pad:

-Stoptech Streets - These are a great low noise, low dust street pad that will offer a "bit" more performance than most OEM pads.
      -Centric PQ Pro - Likely very similar compound to the Stoptech streets. Again very low noise, low dust.
      -Akebono Ultra-premium Ceramics - These are a very low noise and basically no dust pad. They have good performance, but lack initial bite (a good thing depending on how you brake). This is a favorite of mine for a pure street car.
      -Powerstop Z26 - This pad could probably fit in the "dual duty" category as they are pretty high performance for a street pad. They are fairly low dust, and they are very cheap. The only downside I've seen is they do wear rather quickly. This is what I run on my BRZ for the street.

Here's my recommendations for a VERY light dual duty pad. I.E capable of newbie levels of track and autocross use:

-Stoptech Sports - Like the "street" pads but more performance oriented. If you are only daily driving this pad, you will struggle to keep it bedded, which is why Stoptech usually recommends the street for those on, well, the street.
      -Ferodo DS2500 - The highest torque compound that's the closest thing to an actual "dual-duty" pad there is. This will have no issues with light and even medium track use, but with decent street manors. Little more dust than the sports, but they are higher performance.
      -Carbotech/GLOC 1521/GS1 - These have pretty good initial bite, and decent torque. However, they do have more noise and dust than the previous two pads. Still, a great option for the street.

All of these are massively better than any EBC's IMHO
      Last edited by Goingnowherefast; 09-21-2020 at 11:52 AM.
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-21-2020 11:52 AM #21
      FWIW, Stoptech Streets are quite literally Centric 104's in a different box. Even though Centric was recommending 104's for street performance, nobody was buying them, so they rebranded them as Stoptech Streets a few years ago. You can usually buy the Centric 104 version for cheaper and get the same product.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      09-21-2020 12:32 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Hawc HP+ pads on my M3. Driving it around town for a day was enough to dust the wheels to a darker shade than when clean (bottom). The top pic is about 2 weeks of mostly highway and country road driving, around 1,000 miles.
      You're getting off easy. Mine look like that after a day.

Also, don't forget the early warning system with HP+. You can hear them a mile away. LOL

Basic street/acting stupid pad for me is Hawk HPS. They hold up to beginner track use and are excellent on the street. We ran them on the LeMons Scirocket with excellent results. Prob going with their DTC-30 compound for track as I need to replace the stock pads on the BRZ. I am a huge fan of Hawk's compounds. They have good chemistry.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      09-21-2020 12:34 PM #23
      Anyone have recommendations for a Brembo-caliper'd car that sees daily use (in very cold winter as well)? I don't mind brake dust if it means the brakes don't make noise and they bite well. Every pad I've had since factory has had crap bite and I like a hard pedal. I heard ceramics don't bite super hard and aren't great below freezing, true?
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

09-21-2020 12:49 PM #24
      Prior to a long roadtrip a few months back, I decided to swap a slightly more aggressive rotor/pad combo onto my car. Nothing crazy, just a bitier pad and more durable rotor.

Having always been a Bosch/Brembo guy, I decided to try out EBC, as its apparently a pretty sporty setup to run.

So no big deal, I order the set, I pop them on, I break them in, and I go on about my business --> or so I thought.

I don't know if this is an EBC exclusive feature or what, but the brake dust is atrocious. This stuff sheds itself more than a housecat coughing up balls of hair.

It was only about 750 miles into use that I started to experience horrendous vibrations from the actual pads and rotors depending on the temp of the brakes and how hard I'm pressing. Its not a 'traditional' warp, but rather most certainly just huge build-ups of pad sediment, as these vibrations are intermittent.

Anyone else have experience with EBC's? I've done about 5K on them and they're honestly pretty sh*t in my time with them. Likely going to go back to Bosch.

Here's images of the dust collection only about 100-200 miles after I cleaned them.

Seriously, whats the deal?
      Seeing what looks like a Prelude wheel, why not just get the OEM honda brake pads? They are acceptable for most daily use, and the brake dust isn't to terrible to deal with

26. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Oil-Thirsty Broad
      09-21-2020 12:54 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      Seeing what looks like a Prelude wheel, why not just get the OEM honda brake pads? They are acceptable for most daily use, and the brake dust isn't to terrible to deal with
      I switched them out because I took a road trip across the country to drive the tail of the dragon, so I needed something fairly temperature resistant.

Even so, I tend to drive in very winding areas where I do rely on good brakes, so I find use in them either way. Especially when cresting places like bear mountain which I frequently drive throughout the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast