VWVortex.com - Thinking of Buying a Mk6 2.5 Wagon. What to look out for?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Thread: Thinking of Buying a Mk6 2.5 Wagon. What to look out for?

    1. Member vapor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2001
      Location
      brooklyn, ny
      Posts
      6,527
      Vehicles
      MTA F Train
      09-19-2020 10:57 AM #1
      I need another car for the wife to run errands around NYC with the baby and dogs. There is a MK6 2.5 MT Wagon in my mom's town, they went to drive it and it seemed fine, a few small dings, but it's going to be an NYC car so that wouldn't matter much. I'm wondering what I need to look out for? Are there any known red flags? Would this make a good, low worry car for the intended purpose? I'm thinking of taking it to a local shop for inspection, or maybe just making a low cash offer.
      2018 LBM Golf R 6 speed, 2012 TR 2.5L 5MT Jetta Sportwagen, but sometimes I still miss my Corrado...

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. n00b
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2013
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      9
      Vehicles
      1997 VW GTI MK3, 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen MK6
      09-19-2020 11:50 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by vapor View Post
      I need another car for the wife to run errands around NYC with the baby and dogs. There is a MK6 2.5 MT Wagon in my mom's town, they went to drive it and it seemed fine, a few small dings, but it's going to be an NYC car so that wouldn't matter much. I'm wondering what I need to look out for? Are there any known red flags? Would this make a good, low worry car for the intended purpose? I'm thinking of taking it to a local shop for inspection, or maybe just making a low cash offer.
      if it's the 2.5L motor around 100k you should make sure the radiator fans are replaced otherwise it will run hot and possibly overheat in traffic. i noticed that with mine this summer. other than that if there's no lights on you should be good, just regular maintenance based on milage.

    4. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jul 20th, 2020
      Location
      El Paso, TX
      Posts
      16
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Wagen 2.5
      09-19-2020 08:53 PM #3
      Any documentation that the 2nd transmission fluid was done? I am guessing not as someone who is selling will not have done the recommended 50k fluid change at 100k which is about 350-500 bucks depending on dealer.

      I bought my recently with 67k on the odometer and had it changed per the advice of another forum member. It was very clear the previous owner did not change the trans fluid as after the change the shifts were MUCH smoother.

      When I hit 70k I will spring for a coolant and brake fluid change.

      Other than that, 2.5 wagons are not easy to find. I say go for it if things check out good.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member vapor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2001
      Location
      brooklyn, ny
      Posts
      6,527
      Vehicles
      MTA F Train
      09-20-2020 12:47 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
      Any documentation that the 2nd transmission fluid was done? I am guessing not as someone who is selling will not have done the recommended 50k fluid change at 100k which is about 350-500 bucks depending on dealer.

      I bought my recently with 67k on the odometer and had it changed per the advice of another forum member. It was very clear the previous owner did not change the trans fluid as after the change the shifts were MUCH smoother.

      When I hit 70k I will spring for a coolant and brake fluid change.

      Other than that, 2.5 wagons are not easy to find. I say go for it if things check out good.
      I'm guessing the transmission fluid service is relevant for AT cars? This one is MT.
      2018 LBM Golf R 6 speed, 2012 TR 2.5L 5MT Jetta Sportwagen, but sometimes I still miss my Corrado...

    7. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jul 20th, 2020
      Location
      El Paso, TX
      Posts
      16
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Wagen 2.5
      09-21-2020 09:56 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by vapor View Post
      I'm guessing the transmission fluid service is relevant for AT cars? This one is MT.
      https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...d-gearbox-oil/

      Not sure about the Jetta 2.5 MT.

      But at 100k I would be prepared to spend 1k for upkeep the previous owner passed up like brakes, fluids, and belts. That 1k would be on the low side if its needs all that.

      Example when I got my 67k Jetta- I had to change the transmission fluid at 355.00 and than my MAS sensor went out shortly after wards 339.00. Nothing is cheap.

    8. Member vapor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2001
      Location
      brooklyn, ny
      Posts
      6,527
      Vehicles
      MTA F Train
      09-21-2020 02:35 PM #6
      Ah, ok! I've mostly heard of ATF being referred to as "transmission fluid" and manual cars using gear oil, so just wanted to clarify. I expect to pay up front, want to make sure everything is in tip top shape!
      2018 LBM Golf R 6 speed, 2012 TR 2.5L 5MT Jetta Sportwagen, but sometimes I still miss my Corrado...

    9. Member vapor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2001
      Location
      brooklyn, ny
      Posts
      6,527
      Vehicles
      MTA F Train
      09-21-2020 07:05 PM #7
      Got it today, it has a few maintenance items but i'm hoping that with some love it'll see a lot of miles!
      2018 LBM Golf R 6 speed, 2012 TR 2.5L 5MT Jetta Sportwagen, but sometimes I still miss my Corrado...

    10. Member JaxPlanet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2018
      Posts
      296
      Vehicles
      2012 JSW 2.5
      09-21-2020 07:23 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by vapor View Post
      I've mostly heard of ATF being referred to as "transmission fluid"
      That's because ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid.

      It is a type of gear oil made for automatic transmissions. However, it is used in some manual transmissions as well.

      The typical lifetime for transmission fluid is 60K. However, it should be changed more frequently for heavy usage, like a lot of stop and go traffic, carrying large loads or towing. This is why many dealers and shops recommend shorter intervals, like 50K.

      Change your motor oil at 5-7K. VW's recommendation of 10K will lead to premature engine failure.

      What to look out for? The seller! Don't trust a word they say. Assume that no service has ever been done to the car unless they provide written proof. Anything they can't prove, do immediately after purchase.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.