Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Don't park the new Defender outside - ever

09-19-2020 09:41 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      we need more pics from when it was a happy purchase

dare i ask did you have to pay ADM to get into this?
      No adm. I only have a few pics. Feels like we just got it and Iím still breaking it in. The crappy thing is it drives so well and is a really nice place to be. The software issues will eventually be sorted but this body metal thing is total bs. Not sure what Iím going to do. I have sent a letter to my salesman who has already sent it to the gm of the dealership. Stay tuned.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-19-2020 09:45 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Not any of his previous cars, supposedly.
      They have dings but not like this thing. The focus was parked right next to it all summer. No dings in the hood. Would you like a pic? Our Land Rover lr3 has no dings on the hood (elsewhere yes from things like me walking into the side of it with a Christmas tree)

My point is this would be normal wear and tear after 10 years not 10 weeks. Huge, huge difference. If you canít see that then I canít help you.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      09-19-2020 09:49 PM #28
      driving a first year totally redesigned Land Rover.... brave.
      ďI am not a Mac user unless under duress.Ē - John Carmack

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI, 2002 VW Golf
      09-19-2020 09:49 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      They have dings but not like this thing. The focus was parked right next to it all summer. No dings in the hood. Would you like a pic? Our Land Rover lr3 has no dings on the hood (elsewhere yes from things like me walking into the side of it with a Christmas tree)

My point is this would be normal wear and tear after 10 years not 10 weeks. Huge, huge difference. If you canít see that then I canít help you.
      Oh, no I believe you. That wasn't meant to be sarcastic; it was a retort against the other guy. I parked right under a giant oak tree at home with my Golf and now with the GTI, and despite crunching thousands of acorns on my way to the car every morning, neither one of them has any acorn related dents that I've noticed.

09-19-2020 10:05 PM #30
      Not any of his previous cars, supposedly.
      So what? Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Just because his previous vehicles possibly behaved different in this regard doesnít mean his Defender is bad per se. It just means it might not be the right vehicle for the OP if it bothers him that much.

09-19-2020 10:10 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      not everyone aspires to drive $3 cars

op has a right to be pissed
      $3 cars? How much do you think that Series 3 I posted cost new? How much is it worth today? How much utility have owners gotten from it over the past 40 years? Weíre talking about Land Rover farm vehicles, not garage queens. Defenders are tools to be used. Wear and tear is par for the course.

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI, 2002 VW Golf
      09-19-2020 10:30 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Just because his previous vehicles possibly behaved different in this regard doesnít mean his Defender is bad per se. It just means it might not be the right vehicle for the OP if it bothers him that much.
      I think it's a reasonable to assume that an off-road vehicle should be able to sit outside in a forest without being damaged.

Defenders are tools to be used. Wear and tear is par for the course.
      The wear and tear is supposed to come from the usage, not the parking in between the usage.

9. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      09-19-2020 10:30 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Earlier this year we moved into a new house that has a giant oak tree near the driveway and no garage. Acorns have been falling off the tree and yesterday I realized that there are at least 10 dents on the BMWís roof and hood. It was pristine when I bought it less than three months ago.
      Man that sucks. If I had to park under an oak or walnut tree I'd quickly turn it into lumber and firewood.

09-19-2020 10:37 PM #34
      I think it's a reasonable to assume that an off-road vehicle should be able to sit outside in a forest without being damaged.

The wear and tear is supposed to come from the usage, not the parking in between the usage.
      Land Rover doesnít care what causes the dents. Itís wear and tear, pure and simple. The OP is SOL. He has options, up to and including selling the truck. But LR isnít going to do jack for him.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-19-2020 10:41 PM #35
      So what? Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Just because his previous vehicles possibly behaved different in this regard doesnít mean his Defender is bad per se. It just means it might not be the right vehicle for the OP if it bothers him that much.
      Do you and the OP have history or something? My outdoorsy cars wear brush scratches with a badge of honor, but dents from falling branches just means itís crappy thin sheet metal or a bad design.
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

Vehicles
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      09-19-2020 10:41 PM #36
      The Rolex people would describe this as ďpatinaĒ

Seriously though, that sucks, maybe a clear film type protection on the roof and hood would help?

13. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-19-2020 10:50 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      Do you and the OP have history or something? My outdoorsy cars wear brush scratches with a badge of honor, but dents from falling branches just means itís crappy thin sheet metal or a bad design.
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      09-19-2020 11:09 PM #38
      OP, do you have a light you cans shine while taking a pic? It's hard to see the dents in the white paint.
      Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      09-19-2020 11:25 PM #39
      Land Rover doesnít care what causes the dents. Itís wear and tear, pure and simple. The OP is SOL. He has options, up to and including selling the truck. But LR isnít going to do jack for him.
      If other LR owners have similar issues, then it might trigger a recall or extended warranty similar to Toyota truck frames. https://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/14/...-truck-frames/

09-20-2020 12:22 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      If other LR owners have similar issues, then it might trigger a recall or extended warranty similar to Toyota truck frames. https://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/14/...-truck-frames/
      Not really comparable in my opinion. One was inadequate corrosion protection that resulted in insidious structural corrosion that, in some cases, compromised safety and resulted in recalls. The other is a cosmetic issue with no other consequence that can easily be blamed on routine wear and tear.

17. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-20-2020 12:56 AM #41
      Not really comparable in my opinion. One was inadequate corrosion protection that resulted in insidious structural corrosion that, in some cases, compromised safety and resulted in recalls. The other is a cosmetic issue with no other consequence that can easily be blamed on routine wear and tear.
      Put me down as one of those unreasonable people that would be disappointed if my car was easily dented due to thin/cheap metal.
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

09-20-2020 01:07 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Put me down as one of those unreasonable people that would be disappointed if my car was easily dented due to thin/cheap metal.
      Disappointed people can vote with their check book and buy a different suv or better protect their vehicle if itís so important to them. Unfortunately, with more and more demand for vehicle lightweighting, thinner sheet metal is becoming ubiquitous. Aluminum bodywork is especially prone. Normally, designers try to get strength via panel shape. But the boxy Defender look is a somewhat of a Land Rover trademark and is what the purists expect. So itís difficult to make strong, flat and lightweight body panels that are supremely dent resistant. Itís all a matter of compromise. See Teslaís Cybertruck for a different rubric. But people there will complain about the lack of a traditional BOF construction typical of that segment.

09-20-2020 02:04 AM #43
      Cry me a river. Sounds like a yuppie problem to me. Itís a utility vehicle living outside. Accordingly, wear and tear is normal. All cars get dents from falling debris: hail, acorns, tree branches, etc. Iíve seen cars that dent just by looking at them (AC Aceca w/ Superleggera alloy bodywork). Your Defender is not that bad. Use it. Enjoy it. If dents bother you that much, then consider a carport, paint protection film, car cover, periodic PDR or get a different SUV with different abilities and compromises.
      I donít think his dismay is out of line at all. If his other cars didnít experience dents all over the place in similar conditions Iíd be quite annoyed as well. Youíre acting as if his expectations are unreasonable given the circumstances or that he knew this was going to happen ahead of time. If the sheet metal really is that soft then Iíd say thatís ****ty on LRís part. This is still a $50k+ vehicle at the end of the day.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-20-2020 06:38 AM #44
      Earlier this year we moved into a new house that has a giant oak tree near the driveway and no garage. Acorns have been falling off the tree and yesterday I realized that there are at least 10 dents on the BMWís roof and hood. It was pristine when I bought it less than three months ago.
      My parents have a giant oak over their driveway too. I cringe every time I hear an acorn bounce off of my dad's car. He doesn't care.

Could be worse - our last house had about 2 dozen white pines around/over the driveway. Sap is probably the worst thing I can think of when it comes to parking under trees.

21. Member
      09-20-2020 07:55 AM #45
      Cry me a river. Sounds like a yuppie problem to me. Itís a utility vehicle living outside. Accordingly, wear and tear is normal. All cars get dents from falling debris: hail, acorns, tree branches, etc. Iíve seen cars that dent just by looking at them (AC Aceca w/ Superleggera alloy bodywork). Your Defender is not that bad. Use it. Enjoy it. If dents bother you that much, then consider a carport, paint protection film, car cover, periodic PDR or get a different SUV with different abilities and compromises.

i used to get a run home everyday after work in one of those, when I was an apprentice about 23 years ago. NVH to the max

09-20-2020 08:17 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I donít think his dismay is out of line at all. If his other cars didnít experience dents all over the place in similar conditions Iíd be quite annoyed as well. Youíre acting as if his expectations are unreasonable given the circumstances or that he knew this was going to happen ahead of time. If the sheet metal really is that soft then Iíd say thatís ****ty on LRís part. This is still a $50k+ vehicle at the end of the day.
      He can be dismayed all he wants. But his expectations are unreasonable and them being violated is on him, not Land Rover. No manufacturer guarantees their bodywork to resist dents from falling objects. Just as they donít guarantee their paint to withstand stone chips or scratches. People who care more about such things take better care of their vehicles: paint protection film, garage, car cover, etc. But wear and tear is a fact of life and people who accept that live longer, healthier lives.

There is a range of performance and there are too many variables at play when it comes to impact damage. Even when Saturn made a big deal about their plastic body panels in the 1990s, they didnít warranty body damage caused by impacts. Thatís considered wear and tear and has always been the responsibility of the vehicle owner. Similarly, most manufacturers donít warranty OEM tires, brake pads or clutches that wear out quickly. This situation is akin to blaming the manufacturer for a cracked windshield when the driver was following a dump truck too closely.
      Last edited by freedomgli; 09-20-2020 at 08:19 AM.

09-20-2020 08:17 AM #47
      Thank you. This is my point. Itís not a Ferrari Pista FFS. Itís a god damn Defender and as such this is bs. If a wrangler or a bronco or a g class did this I would be just as furious.

09-20-2020 08:26 AM #48
      OP, that really sucks and I am gonna let you finish but you really haven't experienced dings and dents until you own Subaru.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      09-20-2020 08:41 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      OP, that really sucks and I am gonna let you finish but you really haven't experienced dings and dents until you own Subaru.
      You canít avoid them completely unless you own Saturn

09-20-2020 08:51 AM #50
      Just caught a whiff that Land Rover outsourced panel stamping on the Defender for the first time. Iím trying to confirm.

This damage happened in 6 weeks not 10. We picked the car up August 6.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast