VWVortex.com - Sharing a project vs self promotion vs advertising? My Porsche thread is gone. ???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Sharing a project vs self promotion vs advertising? My Porsche thread is gone. ???

1. Member
      Vehicles
      77 Porsche 911S, 95 Audi S6 Avant RS2, 04 Beetle Turbo S, 00 Honda Insight, Boats, Sleds, Bikes, etc
      09-19-2020 02:54 PM #1
      Hey... so a month ago I received an email from an admin here that I am no longer allowed to share videos my Porsche rebuilding thread because it was considered advertising. I wrote back and said how is it considered advertising; what am I advertising? I've reached out several times and never heard any answer.

I am super confused about this. I've done plenty of build threads before:

https://imgur.com/gallery/qXQGw. <---- 78 Sleekcraft Tunnelhull Resto

https://imgur.com/a/PH3jI. <----- 95 Audi S6 Avant Restoration

Both of those are just albums from the actual build threads so they're easy to share, and I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from them. A little over a year ago, I decided to document my Audi RS2 Upgrade in a timelapse format with a GoPro; I did the whole thing using as many continuous shots as possible, stripped the front end of the car, disassembled the top end of the engine, rebuilt an RS2 turbo, cerakoted everything, put it all back together... it was a cool way to show a complex project and it has over 40k views on youtube so people obviously dig it. Pretty proud of it!

So when I tackled my 911 build... I decided to do a video series to show people what I'm looking at, what I'm confused about (since I have no idea what I'm doing on an aircooled engine and I'd never done it before), and what I'm accomplishing. I'm also trying to be as informative as possible, so if someone else finds themselves with a similar situation, they can pick up on tips/tricks.

My thread is now deleted. What sucks is that I was posting my video updates here, on pelican forums, and on rennlist, and I was getting AWESOME tips at every forum! Some of the best feedback, ironically, was from here on the vortex, a non porsche specific forum.

I guess I don't get it. I'm just some dude. I'm not a SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE douchebag, I'm just doing a video series on the biggest project of my life, and I was enjoying sharing it with some car communities because it helped my build. I'm not sponsored. I'm not advertising anything.

If I took screen shots of my videos, and posted them as strings of images with captions, that is allowed, but if I just record myself doing it, then it isn't allowed??? It doens't make any sense. I wasn't trying to spam this board, I'm just geeked about cars and boats, and I was trying to share what I am geeked about and hoping to find other people geeked about the same things.

Discuss.
      Last edited by ADDvanced; 09-19-2020 at 02:57 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta S 1.4t ( Stage 2 FBO )
      09-19-2020 03:42 PM #2
      That’s seems really strange and some what hypocritical imo.

You sure the thread is gone ?

Did you go through your profile to see all your posts? There’s a section u can view everything you’ve ever posted in one spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      77 Porsche 911S, 95 Audi S6 Avant RS2, 04 Beetle Turbo S, 00 Honda Insight, Boats, Sleds, Bikes, etc
      09-19-2020 08:18 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by mk6ChrisKing View Post
      That’s seems really strange and some what hypocritical imo.

You sure the thread is gone ?

Did you go through your profile to see all your posts? There’s a section u can view everything you’ve ever posted in one spot

Yeah but that's always been broken on my profile. Maybe it would work for you? When I click threads started by me, it doesn't show hardly anything, most of htem don't even show up.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      09-19-2020 08:32 PM #4
      Did you try asking a mod for help?
      this signature kills fascists.

MUST NOT SLEEP, MUST WARN OTHERS.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

09-19-2020 08:46 PM #5
      I post my build threads here all the time and no one has ever messed with them. They are pretty tight about language and doing illegal stuff. Maybe you stepped on someone's toe.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      09-19-2020 10:41 PM #6
      There's not a direct revenue line to you when you post written descriptions and pictures. There is (possibly) when you post YouTube videos. It doesn't seem very complicated to me, and I can understand the position of the admins.

I've toed this line here myself when I get lazy, but I try to provide actual written content and pictures in addition to a YouTube video for those that are interested.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-20-2020 12:01 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Did you try asking a mod for help?
      twice. no response.

Vehicles
      '12 Miata, '14 ML350, '03 FLHTCUI, E36 & E39, MINI
      09-20-2020 12:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      There's not a direct revenue line to you when you post written descriptions and pictures. There is (possibly) when you post YouTube videos. It doesn't seem very complicated to me, and I can understand the position of the admins.
      This...

11. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-20-2020 01:12 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      twice. no response.
      Hmmm....it is the weekend. But if you were warned not to self promote than I don’t know what to tell you. It does seem like you may have stepped on somebody’s toes though. This is what I see when I search your started threads.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-20-2020 01:18 PM #10
      and now i want french fries. for a dollar off.
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

13. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-20-2020 01:23 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      and now i want french fries. for a dollar off.

Vehicles
      '16 F82 Krautrocket
      09-20-2020 01:24 PM #12
      They're pissed off they aren't getting click through credit on the videos and instead you're sending money to youtube (even if you aren't getting anything out of it). Simply put, it's Bullshti. And the mods should rectify this instead of allowing some tech jockey in a cubicle sending you a message because some generic mix of red flags triggered a response on what is someone's paint by numbers instruction sheet on how to do their job.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

15. Member
      Vehicles
      09-21-2020 11:49 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Hmmm....it is the weekend. But if you were warned not to self promote than I don’t know what to tell you. It does seem like you may have stepped on somebody’s toes though. This is what I see when I search your started threads.

Yeah it’s been like this for a while. Weird right?

I <3 Weird & Fast. Weirst? Faseird?

IG @ADDvanced
      YT @ADDvanced

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-21-2020 08:36 PM #14
      Hey... so a month ago I received an email from an admin here that I am no longer allowed to share videos my Porsche rebuilding thread because it was considered advertising. I wrote back and said how is it considered advertising; what am I advertising? I've reached out several times and never heard any answer.

I am super confused about this. I've done plenty of build threads before:

https://imgur.com/gallery/qXQGw. <---- 78 Sleekcraft Tunnelhull Resto

https://imgur.com/a/PH3jI. <----- 95 Audi S6 Avant Restoration

Both of those are just albums from the actual build threads so they're easy to share, and I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from them. A little over a year ago, I decided to document my Audi RS2 Upgrade in a timelapse format with a GoPro; I did the whole thing using as many continuous shots as possible, stripped the front end of the car, disassembled the top end of the engine, rebuilt an RS2 turbo, cerakoted everything, put it all back together... it was a cool way to show a complex project and it has over 40k views on youtube so people obviously dig it. Pretty proud of it!

So when I tackled my 911 build... I decided to do a video series to show people what I'm looking at, what I'm confused about (since I have no idea what I'm doing on an aircooled engine and I'd never done it before), and what I'm accomplishing. I'm also trying to be as informative as possible, so if someone else finds themselves with a similar situation, they can pick up on tips/tricks.

My thread is now deleted. What sucks is that I was posting my video updates here, on pelican forums, and on rennlist, and I was getting AWESOME tips at every forum! Some of the best feedback, ironically, was from here on the vortex, a non porsche specific forum.

I guess I don't get it. I'm just some dude. I'm not a SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE douchebag, I'm just doing a video series on the biggest project of my life, and I was enjoying sharing it with some car communities because it helped my build. I'm not sponsored. I'm not advertising anything.

If I took screen shots of my videos, and posted them as strings of images with captions, that is allowed, but if I just record myself doing it, then it isn't allowed??? It doens't make any sense. I wasn't trying to spam this board, I'm just geeked about cars and boats, and I was trying to share what I am geeked about and hoping to find other people geeked about the same things.

Discuss.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      09-23-2020 05:43 PM #15
      Do mods/admins not read this? Does anyone know a mod or admin I can contact because the one that contacted me is not responding.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      09-23-2020 06:20 PM #16
      Does anyone know how to contact an admin or mod? I tried in the help forum but it seems like they don't read that either.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      09-23-2020 06:37 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
      Does anyone know how to contact an admin or mod? I tried in the help forum but it seems like they don't read that either.
      Not sure what you tried but last time I needed to I just sent them a PM. The list of mods can be found at the bottom of TCL page 1, under Forum Information and Options. I hope it gets sorted out!
      ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      09-23-2020 06:57 PM #18
      I will text our handy-dandy local TCL mod right now .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      09-23-2020 07:01 PM #19
      I

Vehicles
      88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-24-2020 06:24 AM #20
      Weird. I know there are others sharing Youtube videos regularly... Ben Modified, the guy that bought the Westfalia last Spring (can't remember name).

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      09-24-2020 08:18 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      They're pissed off they aren't getting click through credit on the videos and instead you're sending money to youtube (even if you aren't getting anything out of it). Simply put, it's Bullshti. And the mods should rectify this instead of allowing some tech jockey in a cubicle sending you a message because some generic mix of red flags triggered a response on what is someone's paint by numbers instruction sheet on how to do their job.
      being a mod on here (and tcl) pre vmg sell off - pretty much it. just a post with a video to another site and nothing else would have gotten the blackhole and message from Anthony about spending money to be an advertiser. Previous practice would have been notifying you why it was moved to the blackhole and what site rule it broke.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      09-24-2020 09:02 AM #22
      That's VerticalScope life, baby!

Also yeah, it's absolutely YouTube. The entirety of forum revenue comes from ad sales, so a click through to another ad sales platform (YouTube) where someone can effectively step out of the walled garden (the build thread) to subscribe and continue following your project is taking eyes off ads. I was served FIVE different ads while writing this three paragraph post.

And not to put too fine a point on it: You really do make some super cool, professional content. Which is a huge "I am trying to monetize my channel" red flag, even if it isn't your intent.

TL;DR: message boards are still alive but they're clinging on to every single last page view because it's the only path to revenue left in this space, and the advertising model used is antiquated CPM crap, so clicking away from the page upends the only way for the place to make money.
      Last edited by HotCarlWeathers; 09-24-2020 at 09:06 AM.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

Vehicles
      2015 Equinox
      09-24-2020 09:39 AM #23
      Hey there ADDvanced,
      I simultaneously saw this thread and received your PM late last night, sorry I didn't respond immediately, but I wanted to do some research on your content, who's been in contact with you, and what warnings you've received, and when.

Indeed you were notified by AG-Admin last month regarding 'revenue generating activity' (ie: commercial advertising). That account is operated by some of the corporate folks at VS/AG in Canada who regularly deal with advertising sales. I'll apologize on their behalf for not responding to your questions.

That said, as some of your web-cohorts have pointed out, when a user creates multiple accounts on multiple forums on the same day, and posts the same professionally produced content on those forums... well, honestly it looks like you're in this to generate revenue. Your product, what you're advertising and selling, is your content. As you know, it costs money to generate and produce content, host it and post it. That money has to come from advertising revenue. Which is why your posts were removed, you are generating revenue using their platform without sharing a little with VS/AG.

In the spirit of 'make nice', I've restored all of your build threads.

My ask of you is two-fold:
      1. Please work with the advertising guys to come to some mutually agreeable arrangement where you can continue to post your content for consumption by the TCL crew.
      2. In the future, don't post complaint/question threads like this in TCL. Post them here in the Help Forum, or reach out to one of the admins directly, specifically
      - nater
      - or myself

Thanks!

Vehicles
      88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-25-2020 06:10 AM #24
      Nice to see there is some resolution. Sounds reasonable to me.