The Car Lounge

Thread: The Long Way Up—Ewan & Charlie go electric

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-20-2020 08:22 AM #1
      Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman ride again on 'Long Way Up'

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/e...-tv/index.html

Away they go

Previous iterations of the episodic documentary series were "Long Way Round," an eastward journey from London to New York City in 2004, and "Long Way Down," a southward odyssey from John o' Groats in Scotland to Cape Town in South Africa, in 2007.

"Long Way Up," takes the two best friends and their returning crew on a slightly truncated trip north following a route along the fabled Pan-American Highway.

Within the first three episodes of this series, the duo visit:

-- Parque Pingüino Rey in Tierra del Fuego, Chile, at the tip of South America.
      -- The Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina's Los Glaciares National Park, which rises above turquoise glacial waters.
      -- Salta in northwest Argentina to take the Tren a las Nubes (Train to the Clouds) -- one of the highest in the world at almost 14,000 feet.

The visuals satisfy an increasingly unbearable wanderlust that has become more acute during this year of coronavirus lockdown.
      Electric groove

Apparently, after completing two epic motorbike adventures, the two felt they needed an additional challenge. They decided the "Long Way Up" would be an electric voyage -- a way to see the world without aiding its decay.

That meant electric bikes (Harley-Davidson supplied prototypes) that could withstand myriad environments -- snow, ice, altitude, wind, rain -- and very few charging stations.

The "Long Way Up" production crew hooked up with an electric SUV startup, Rivian, to supply new prototype pickup trucks -- designed to take on every terrain. Rivian also installed charging stations along the more desolate parts of the route.
      Last edited by Sporin; 09-20-2020 at 08:27 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      09-20-2020 08:28 AM #2
      Interview:

Last edited by OOOO-A3; 09-20-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Vehicles
      09-20-2020 08:29 AM #3
      The Secrets Behind Ewan McGregor’s Custom Electric Harley in “Long Way Up”
      Harley-Davidson gives us the scoop on a special, overland-ready edition of the LiveWire

There are clear reasons for giving BMW the boot this time in favor of the Harley-Davidson LiveWire. For McGregor and Boorman, they get to be pioneers, taking not just electric motorcycles, but electric vehicles in general — the supposed future of personal transportation — where they’ve never gone before. For Harley, they get promotion for their relatively new “super-premium halo product,” as former president and CEO Matt Levatich described it to InsideHook — one that will define the future of the company.

Right now, they need all the promotion they can get; Levatich is out (maybe voluntarily, maybe not), Jochen Zeitz, who was instrumental in the LiveWire project, is in, and the beleaguered company is trying to navigate the pandemic and the uncertain future of the motorcycle industry.

There’s no doubt that people are going to come away from the show wanting to try out a LiveWire for themselves, whether they’re bikers or not. But the bikes in the show, which started shooting in September 2019, the same month the LiveWire hit dealerships, are not the exact same ones you’ll find if you walk into a Harley-Davidson shop today. After all, motorcycle companies build specific adventure bikes, but one of the tag lines for the LiveWire is “a bolt of lightning that electrifies the urban grid.” Not exactly what you want to hear before an overlanding expedition.

Vehicles
      09-20-2020 08:30 AM #4
      Rivian’s Electric Pickups Went on a 13,000-Mile, Made-for-TV Road Trip With Ewan McGregor
      The pickups were used as camera trucks for the third installment of "Long Way Up," and a trip spanning from Patagonia to Los Angeles.

Of course, that didn’t make the trip easy. Filming started in the spring of 2019, but since Rivian won’t debut the pickup until the 2021 model year, a pair of fresh-off-the-line test vehicles had to be used, according to Car and Driver. The timeline was so tight that the last of the vehicles was completed just hours before it was shipped to Patagonia.

But getting the prototypes down to South America was just the beginning. The startup also had to set up a charging network along the way, which involved installing 140 charging stations (with 240 Level 2 chargers) along the route, which stretched across 13 countries. This meant that there was a charging station roughly every 110 miles, though not all of them had to be used. Still, the trip gave Rivian a valuable chance to test out its EV trucks in real-world driving situations.

Vehicles
      1989 yuppie-mobile, 2011 ess4
      09-20-2020 09:37 AM #5
      Talk about A Life Less Ordinary. Glad nothing went Haywire.

I wonder if they did any Trainspotting on their way? Or perhaps have some Big Fish stories to tell?

Guess I’ll have to watch!

09-20-2020 09:49 AM #6
      I watched Long Way Around several months ago. I'm on Long Way Down now, about half way through. Long Way Up is next. Good that they are making this mostly on road. From what I've seen of Evan's off road riding in these previous two shows, he isn't that good at it. And they are also at least 13 years older now than in the previous two shows.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-20-2020 12:07 PM #7
      I really enjoyed the Long Way Round, and completed E1 of Long Way Up a couple of nights ago. I’m really interested to see how things unfold over the 130 days (!) of the trip they chronicle.

Also—I can’t believe Charley Boorman signed up to do this after the horrible (and much publicized) accident he had.

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      09-20-2020 08:50 PM #8
      Im going to have to get Apple+ just for this huh
      Slow Car Fast

09-20-2020 09:39 PM #9
      I love Long Way Round and Long Way Down so I'm looking forward to this! 1000% product placement, but I don't care in this case.

09-20-2020 10:06 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      So many streaming services nowadays. I just cancelled two of mine this week and may cancel the last by the end of this month. I think that will be the first time I've had no subscription services in many years. Doubtful I'll sign up for Apple+ just for this though, so I am hopeful that more services only have exclusive content for a limited time, say a few months or maybe a year before it's licensed to other services too.

09-20-2020 11:25 PM #11
      Just finished the first episode of Long Way Up. The prototype Livewire Adventure bikes look amazing. This would be the type of bike I would buy over a normal Livewire. I wonder how long it will take Harley to put an adventure version into production. Otherwise, I might have to spring for a Zero.

I'm also curious to see what kind of range they get out of the Livewire Adventure bikes. I am wondering if Harley was able to get any more battery stuffed into it. Also curious to see what Rivian did for chargers along their route. The Harley Livewire is only level 1 or DCFC if I recall correctly. That isn't such as easy or inexpensive type of charger to install. Maybe Harley adapted the Livewire Adventures to level 2???
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Vehicles
      09-21-2020 06:48 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      So many streaming services nowadays. I just canceled two of mine this week and may cancel the last by the end of this month. I think that will be the first time I've had no subscription services in many years. Doubtful I'll sign up for Apple+ just for this though, so I am hopeful that more services only have exclusive content for a limited time, say a few months or maybe a year before it's licensed to other services too.
      Yeah, we want to get Disney+ back again for Mando s2 and we are going to drop Hulu in that case. It's going to be hard to not get CBS again once Star Trek Discover s3 starts, too.

Apple+ and HBOMax are just going to have to wait, there are certainly things on them I'd love to see, but no must-haves so far.

Netflix is the constant for us, the others come and go as the content warrants.

14. 09-21-2020 07:09 AM #13
      As proved with the Taj Mahal, the moon mission, the Big Dig, and the Chartwell estate, if you throw enough money at something, you can do anything...

09-22-2020 08:53 PM #14
      Just finished episode 3 of Long Way Up. It isn't looking good for our heroes and their Harley Davidsons. They are in the southern most part of South America. It is still winter there. Range is pretty short. Electricity is generally scarce and seemingly low amperage. There is no DC fast charging. Seems that even when they hit an installed charge point they still have to spend countless hours charging because the Harleys don't do level 2. And the bikes don't charge well when it is cold either. They have had to call twice for truck mounted diesel generators to come charge them up in somewhat remote places. Frankly, I think they should have gone with Zero DSR/BF bikes. I think Zero could probably be considered the Tesla of motorcycles.

The good news seems to be that the two prototype Rivian pickup trucks that the support/production crew is using aren't having any issues.

Episode 4 won't be released until 9/25.

16. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-22-2020 09:21 PM #15
      Will catch it if they release it on bluray. Hopefully they don't lecture us about global warming and ****.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      09-22-2020 09:41 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I'm also curious to see what kind of range they get out of the Livewire Adventure bikes. I am wondering if Harley was able to get any more battery stuffed into it. Also curious to see what Rivian did for chargers along their route. The Harley Livewire is only level 1 or DCFC if I recall correctly. That isn't such as easy or inexpensive type of charger to install. Maybe Harley adapted the Livewire Adventures to level 2???
      L1 and L2 AC charging share a plug. The Harley bikes would have been able to plug into the same chargers as the Rivians, they just wouldn't charge at the same rate.

An L1/L2 charger isn't actually a charger; it's basically a control board, a contactor, and some safety widgets, all designed to control the vehicle's access to un-altered grid power and let it know how much it is *allowed* to have; the vehicle determines how much draw it wants within that limit.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      09-23-2020 09:50 AM #17
      Harley is foolish not to bring an overlander spec marketed directly from this film to production. It aligns so closely with the ethos of consumers who are excited about the new Bronco, Wrangler, etc. That's where enthusiast dollars are flowing now.

Just watched the first episode. I always intended to watch the first two films, and I definitely will catch them retroactively.
      Last edited by oidoglr; 09-23-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      09-23-2020 10:11 AM #18
      I loved Long Way Round. It was proper hardcore, too, with them riding independently of the support vehicles until the end of the day, meaning they carried everything they needed during the day on the bikes, meaning the bikes were really heavy, meaning mad respect!

Glad to see producer Russ there, too. Hope I can watch this at some point.

09-23-2020 11:05 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      L1 and L2 AC charging share a plug. The Harley bikes would have been able to plug into the same chargers as the Rivians, they just wouldn't charge at the same rate.

An L1/L2 charger isn't actually a charger; it's basically a control board, a contactor, and some safety widgets, all designed to control the vehicle's access to un-altered grid power and let it know how much it is *allowed* to have; the vehicle determines how much draw it wants within that limit.

And that is the problem. Harley only allows level 1 charge rates even if it is plugged into a charger than can supply higher rates. Giving the bikes DCFC is useless on a continent that probably doesn't have any DCFC charging stations. Harley should have tossed the DCFC and made them level 2 capable.

Frankly, even in the USA (and I assume much of Europe), DCFC will probably only be used by an extremely small number of owners. No one has it at home. But many EV car owners install level 2 in their homes.

EDIT: According to Chargepoint, the only DCFC charging near me is at Harley Davidson dealers, and only 1 plug per dealer. Which is fine if you are a dealer and want to sell bikes but is mostly useless if you are a traveler who needs a quick charge to go another 100 miles. Especially if the dealer isn't cooperative or shuts down their charging or locks up their property fence after hours.

EDIT2: Chargepoint map isn't showing everything. Plugshare map shows a few more DCFC but still only 5 or 6 in my high population density county.
      Last edited by spockcat; 09-23-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      09-23-2020 11:43 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Hopefully they don't lecture us about global warming and ****.
      Hopefully they do, as clearly some people haven't gotten the message.

Generally, looking at PlugShare instead to see charging stations from *all* vendors, not just ChargePoint, will give the more accurate coverage map. The biggest growth in DCFC installations right now is on the Electrify America network.

the only DCFC charging near me is at Harley Davidson dealers, and only 1 plug per dealer. Which is fine if you are a dealer and want to sell bikes but is mostly useless if you are a traveler who needs a quick charge to go another 100 miles. Especially if the dealer isn't cooperative or shuts down their charging or locks up their property fence after hours.
      Maybe today, but things are changing rapidly and more stations will appear. In the northeast, the DCFC availability is great. DCFC is absolutely necessary to do trips, and the bikes would be crippled without it.

09-23-2020 12:04 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Generally, looking at PlugShare instead to see charging stations from *all* vendors, not just ChargePoint, will give the more accurate coverage map. The biggest growth in DCFC installations right now is on the Electrify America network.

Maybe today, but things are changing rapidly and more stations will appear. In the northeast, the DCFC availability is great. DCFC is absolutely necessary to do trips, and the bikes would be crippled without it.
      You will see I did look at PlugShare just prior to your posting and agree there are more. And I imagine that more DCFC will appear over time. But I still believe the majority of EV (motorcycle or non-Tesla auto) owners will charge off level 2 J1772 and Harley should have made this bike capable of that. It is 12.5 hours to charge the bike if you can't find DCFC and are virtually empty!!!

A Zero DSR/BF will charge from 0 to 95% in 2 hours with the optional charge tank.
      Last edited by spockcat; 09-23-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      09-23-2020 12:09 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      I got it for free for a year since I bought a new iPad last December. We'll start paying for it with their new One subscription that includes Music and iCloud storage that they just announced last week at their event.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      09-24-2020 11:35 PM #23
      Looks like I had free Apple+ this whole time. And now I'm caught up. They seem to whine alot about charging. Like yea dude, its tough in the middle of no where but that is where the adventure begins. With such short range, they cant be riding more than 4 hours at a time. Sounds easy and the roads look pretty chill. Maybe they are trying to add a little drama with the complaining but im sure they'll be fine. Also, it doesnt look good from an EV perspective all the trouble they are having.

Super cool bikes though in that more off-road touring spec. And man those Rivians look sick
      Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      09-25-2020 10:44 AM #24
      And that is the problem. Harley only allows level 1 charge rates even if it is plugged into a charger than can supply higher rates. Giving the bikes DCFC is useless on a continent that probably doesn't have any DCFC charging stations. Harley should have tossed the DCFC and made them level 2 capable.
      I mean agreed on making them L2 capable.
      Onboard chargers aren't a huge price difference in given power, and a 6kW charger isn't much bigger than a 3kW charger.

Could have been a packaging or cooling issue. Or they may have an oddball voltage for the pack that limited their ability to source a bigger power device for first production.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.