Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCL advice needed: New Charger Scat Pack

1. 09-20-2020 07:09 PM #1
      Rule #1

So as I'm approaching my 3rd year of ownership with my Focus, I'm getting that itch to get something new and not slow.

The Charger Scatpack with 485HP looks like it would address the slow issue nicely and seems to be reasonably priced. I'm really looking the blue color like the one above and really only want it with the performance handling package that adds the Brembo brakes.

As far as my actual needs: I don't need it to commute to work, have one kid, prefer something with a trunk and loathe SUVs.

My questions to TCL:
      Is this car a reliability nightmare that will catch fire?
      Does the epic Chrysler quality (sarcasm) I grew up with still exist today?
      Is this a much fun a it seems it would be?

Being that this likely to be the last of the American RWD V8 sedans, I would hate to miss out on owning one before they are NLA.

Vince

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      09-20-2020 08:06 PM #2
      There awesome, for the right guy...I’m that guy, drawn to old school muscle, with a modern feel. The V8s are fantastic, and they handle well, for what they are.

I had to compromise on mine, because it’s my all season car for work. Sales calls, work travel.
      I opted for the AWD, so no V8 for me. But I still love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Cherokee Limited, 2016 Charger R/T, 2018 Pacifica Limited, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      09-20-2020 09:04 PM #3
      The platform is old enough, it’s well proven. The engine and trans is in a million other pickups out there, Uconnect is one of, if not the best infotainment system out there. Get the scat pack. No regrets.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-20-2020 09:28 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6JH View Post
      The platform is old enough, it’s well proven. The engine and trans is in a million other pickups out there, Uconnect is one of, if not the best infotainment system out there. Get the scat pack. No regrets.
      The exact engine in the scat pack is not in anything that isn't an srt product. The truck version of the 6.4L has like 100 less hp. Like every performance engine, it's not 100% flawless. The mileage isn't great, if that matters to you. Depending on who you talk to, the valve springs are a weak spot. Some folks have had failed valve springs that have taken out the engine. On the jeep forum this seems to have impacted a small number of owners and supposedly has some relation to the MDS system on the 6.4. At least in the jeep you can choose a setting that basically deactivates mds, which i have done.

Perhaps it would be good to read through the charger/challenger forums.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

6. 09-20-2020 09:29 PM #5
      I'm liking what I'm hearing and appreciate the replies. If all goes to plan, I'll be in position to buy at the end of the year. Which should line up nicely with some sales and promotions.

Scat pack would be a definite as the price difference between it and a R/T is not that much. I'd feel disappointed otherwise, kinda like anyone that doesn't get a Mustang with a V8

Vince

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      09-21-2020 12:38 AM #6
      OP - I went from a 2008 Speed3 (new) to a 2012 Challenger RT 5.7 (new), and then to a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack (still own it). I liked the Speed3, but I had just turned 40 and I was tired of the cramped footwell, and super hard suspension. When I got the RT, I had buyer’s remorse almost immediately. “Why did I get this boat? It drives like an aircraft carrier. I think I made a huge mistake.”

It took me a month to settle into what that car was supposed to be and then I loved it. But after 3 years, I got power hungry. The Mazda was quick. As quick on the street as the Challenger, but it wasn’t... HUNGHHHHHH!!!! There’s something about big displacement. And I wanted more.

So when Dodge introduced the SRT motor into the RT line as the Scat Pack, I went for it. I’ve never owned a car this long and I don’t know what else I’d rather have, short of a 911. It just feels so *good* to drive.

Re reliability, it’s got 55K on the clock and so far (knock wood) the only issues have been 3 wheel speed sensors (cheap), and a bad gas cap that I just replaced. There’s also some outstanding recall I haven’t gotten around to. Otherwise, it’s been very solid.

Do it. The Scat Pack will add 4 inches, guaranteed or your money back!
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '91 E30, '91 Volvo 740, '20 4R TRD Pro, '21 Tundra TRD Pro
      09-21-2020 07:11 AM #7
      - It's pretty reliable, actually Charger is one of the most reliable cars out there!
      - It's built in Canada, so its better some of the plastics may make be really hard, but it's not so bad, uconnect is great really.
      - If you know what's it built for, then yes, its lots of fun, it's a muscle cruiser that you can bring the whole family to the drag strip and back home, also stop for ice cream on the way home. It handles well, but not sports car well.

If you do not need to access 2 car seats, why not a Challenger? the rear seats is slightly smaller, but the trunk is big for a 2 door and the widebody makes it look just right.

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track
      09-21-2020 07:35 AM #8
      Happy Charger owner here. I have driven mine since new, it'll be 8 years in January.

In 71k miles, I've had 1 bluetooth module fail. I got a USB bluetooth stick so I can stream music from my phone if I want. I don't get enough phone calls to bother paying for a new bluetooth module for the head unit.

I've had no mechanical or other issues with the car. It's been great.

10. Junior Member
      09-21-2020 08:00 AM #9
      I know the platform is old but all the tweaks done to the Charger visually over the years still make it look fresh in my eyes. Much prettier than it was when it came out, also. That blue Scat Pack in the picture looks awesome with those wheels.
      The fact that they did this + interior updates with Unconnect and reports of overall reliability and fun make this seem like an awesome option.
      Current: 2010 W204 C63
      Past: 2x MK7 Golf GTI, 1x MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI, 1x MK6 Jetta GLI

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      09-21-2020 08:11 AM #10
      I've had my Challenger RT Classic 6-speed manual 5.7 Hemi for 5 1/2 years and still love it. It's my daily. I run the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires on it and it handles quite well for it's size...a big comfy GT Muscle car. If I drive calmly it gets 24mpg even with the 3.92 rear gear. No regrets here. I bet you'd be happy with a Scat Pack Charger.

Carz: allpic -*Dusk Edition SS-*-cahs-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

09-21-2020 09:32 AM #11
      If you live in a climate with snow, I've read the front bodywork is so low that it likes to snowplow.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      V60, Type-R
      09-21-2020 10:38 AM #12
      The cost to replace the 305 wide tires might be something to consider before pulling the trigger.

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      09-21-2020 10:44 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      If you live in a climate with snow, I've read the front bodywork is so low that it likes to snowplow.

If you get it, please, please, please take off the yellow chin splitter protectors from factory.... my brother in law refuses and every other one I see driving around.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

09-21-2020 11:00 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      My buddy has a 2018 Scat Pack - no problems in the winter so far and we're in one of the snowiest cities in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich-chris View Post
      The cost to replace the 305 wide tires might be something to consider before pulling the trigger.
      To be fair, 305s are only on the wide bodies. The regular Scat Pack comes with 245s. Even if OP gets the Dynamics Pack, it still only comes with 275s.

But speaking of maintenance costs - from what my buddy has told me, the optional six piston Brembos that come in the Dynamics Pack are significantly more expensive to service than the base four piston Brembo setup.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      09-21-2020 11:23 AM #15
      Just get it. But definitely get the widebody - you'll appreciate the extra tire footprint with the power. There are some recent YouTube reviews on the widebody - and almost every one of them is glowingly positive.

****, if I could afford to put another car in my driveway, I'd be at my Dodge dealer spec'ing one of these.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

09-21-2020 11:34 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      Just get it. But definitely get the widebody - you'll appreciate the extra tire footprint with the power. There are some recent YouTube reviews on the widebody - and almost every one of them is glowingly positive.

****, if I could afford to put another car in my driveway, I'd be at my Dodge dealer spec'ing one of these.

I pulled up at a light next to a new Charger Hellcat Widebody the other night. The thing definitely has presence.

They're also, *ahem* "significantly", quicker than an SS.

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      09-21-2020 11:39 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      I pulled up at a light next to a new Charger Hellcat Widebody the other night. The thing definitely has presence.

Well, a few years ago I did say if I was going to get an auto SS then I'd just get a ScatPack instead. That turned into a 2 year Durango lease, then a Golf R which i traded since the family hated it. I stayed German.

My wife never cared for the Scat Pack for a reason that will remain unspoken.
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

19. Member
      09-21-2020 11:54 AM #18

The 1320 Scat Pack Challengers will run mid to high 11s without much effort. That is pretty damn fast for a street car/daily driver. Im not sure if the Charger/Challenger widebodies are as quick but they should easily be in the mid 12s for a novice. They are a hoot to drive

I'd love to get a WB Scat Challenger with a stick if i was going to get one.
      Boiler Up!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-21-2020 12:45 PM #19
      Did it remind her of an unhygienic genre of amateur film?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-21-2020 01:24 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6.3 View Post
      The 1320 Scat Pack Challengers will run mid to high 11s without much effort. That is pretty damn fast for a street car/daily driver. Im not sure if the Charger/Challenger widebodies are as quick but they should easily be in the mid 12s for a novice. They are a hoot to drive

I'd love to get a WB Scat Challenger with a stick if i was going to get one.
      The programmable launch control should make it pretty easy to dial in the best way to consistently maximize acceleration. And unlike most modern cars, they also sound pretty decent in stock form.

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      09-21-2020 01:47 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Did it remind her of an unhygienic genre of amateur film?
      Um, not so much that as a word representative of those that are descendants from a particular western European country. Let's just say I didn't get a kick out of her characterization and crossed it off the list.

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      09-21-2020 01:52 PM #22
      The 6.4l has it's issues. Mostly waterpumps puking their guts anywhere from 20k miles to 40k miles (mine went at 30k) and catastrophic lifter failure. Make sure you do your homework on these two points. I haven't heard much else and my Jeep was flawless otherwise.

I dig the new widebody cars, still a heavy car though. If that doesn't bother you, you'll love the drivetrain.
      The car that started it all! A work log and tale of tears (from my wallet)
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...lass-work-log)

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      09-21-2020 01:54 PM #23
      I thought I had heard they fixed some of the pump issues after about '16 or so....

09-21-2020 01:58 PM #24
      Well, a few years ago I did say if I was going to get an auto SS then I'd just get a ScatPack instead. That turned into a 2 year Durango lease, then a Golf R which i traded since the family hated it. I stayed German.

Um, not so much that as a word representative of those that are descendants from a particular western European country. Let's just say I didn't get a kick out of her characterization and crossed it off the list.

Jeez man.

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      09-21-2020 02:04 PM #25
      Jeez man.
      What's even odder - it was so out of character for her to say something like that. I'm the only one who heard it, fortunately.

Even funnier - the sales guy was in the back and didn't appreciate it when she hit it making a right turn just to get a feel for the power. She shot him a dirty look in the rear view mirror, so clearly she liked the power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast