Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Rolls-Royce Ghost: my other 4-door car

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R; 2019 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) RF; 2016 Rolls-Royce Ghost
      09-22-2020 12:20 PM #1
      I recently added a four-year-old Rolls-Royce to my "fleet" and posted a picture in the "Let's see YOUR car" thread here in the Car Lounge. A few people asked for a separate thread to discuss it, so here I am.

To kick things off, here's a picture of the car. (Most of these photos are from the dealer.) I'll add more pics and detail in additional posts.

Current 1: 2018 Golf R, 6MT
      Current 2: 2019 Mazda Miata RF, GTS, 6MT
      Current 3: 2016 Rolls-Royce Ghost Series II
      Previous: MkVII GTI, 2017 Miata, 8 BMWs, 2 MkIV GTIs (both with VR6), a Mercedes, a Peugeot, a Toyota, and an Oldsmobile, all but one with manual transmissions

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      09-22-2020 12:30 PM #2
      (Full disclosure -- I've got a similar thread going on Miata.net, so if you're on there, you might have already seen some of this.)

The Ghost is in addition to a Miata RF and a VW Golf R. Each car is unique and cool in its own way. But the Ghost is rarer (at least it is where I live), so I'm happy to share some of its cool stuff here with anybody who's interested.

The company has been making cars for over 115 years. The engineering is amazing. Admittedly, my car is about 20% an F01 BMW Seven Series, but that's not a bad start (especially since none of the awful F01 body came across). The twin-turbo V12 is based on a BMW design and built in Munich, but it's only used in Rolls-Royces. It's no Golf R, but the car handles surprisingly well and accelerates incredibly. Zero to 60 is quoted at 4.9 seconds.

The craftsmanship is amazing. Let's start with the paint stripe, or -- as Rolls-Royce calls it -- the coach line. It's hand painted. There's one guy in the factory who applies it and he does it freehand. It was one of my "nice-to-have" items while I was shopping.

Here's some more photos.

Closeup of the driver's door showing Dark Spice (brown) leather and Seashell (off-white) pannier.

Instrument panel showing Dark Spice leather with Seashell stitching below the wood trim.

Rear seat showing controls for individual seat adjustment.

Closeup of the wood trim. All four doors, the rear seat picnic tables, and the dashboard have this upgraded wood trim. It's walnut burl ("burr" in British English) inlaid at the bottom with striped wood.
      Previous: MkVII GTI, 2017 Miata, 8 BMWs, 2 MkIV GTIs (both with VR6), a Mercedes, a Peugeot, a Toyota, and an Oldsmobile, all but one with manual transmissions

Vehicles
      88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-22-2020 01:17 PM #3
      Thanks for answering the call. Beautiful car!

I'd love to just be driven around all day in that. In for ownership updates.

5. Member
      09-22-2020 01:27 PM #4
      Wow! That thing is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

Vehicles
      09-22-2020 01:30 PM #5
      Happy to share and post more if people are interested...

Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 2 VW's
      09-22-2020 01:36 PM #6
      I love suicide doors. Therefore, I love this car. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x2 (atlas cross sport, tiguan)

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-22-2020 01:39 PM #7
      The whole concept of something like this fascinates me. I can understand and appreciate all the high quality and artisan workmanship, but I can't say I've ever felt the remote desire to own a RR or even Bentley---new or used. Either pricey (when new) or affordable (as in an older decently used model). For me, I think I'd be perfectly happy with an S class if I wanted something well made, large, luxurious, and comfortable. So help me understand the psychology of this. Is a RR a dream vehicle of yours and you were finally able to afford one? Is it that you wanted something luxurious, large, and comfortable and simply found a good deal on this RR? Or was it simply the hand-crafted nature of the RR that drew you to the purchase? Or something else?

9. Member
      09-22-2020 01:42 PM #8
      very nice. I assume head turns are pretty standard when driving this

10. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2021 Audi RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      09-22-2020 01:42 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.
      Navarra_RS6

Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      09-22-2020 01:44 PM #10
      Looks great!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      09-22-2020 01:45 PM #11
      I could stare at that detailing for a long time.

Do you ever just sit in this thing and...do nothing?

Vehicles
      S60.
      09-22-2020 01:52 PM #12
      I like this car's bigger brother, the Phantom. I've driven one a few times and i get the allure, but that car really is too big to drive around regularly.

But I'm a HUGE fan of the Ghost. As crazy as it is to write this out, there is some practiced restraint about this car, in size and demeanor, that makes it seem downright usable on a daily basis. But at the same time, it truly feels special. You definitely don't mistake it for anything else when you drive one, or think for a second that it feels like a BMW.

Owning this, a Golf R and a Miata has GOT to put you in a very isolated demographic. That's a win.
      It’s alive!!!

http://vintageuro.com

Stories, podcasts, and pics of all the good things

Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 2 VW's
      09-22-2020 01:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      The whole concept of something like this fascinates me. I can understand and appreciate all the high quality and artisan workmanship, but I can't say I've ever felt the remote desire to own a RR or even Bentley---new or used. Either pricey (when new) or affordable (as in an older decently used model). For me, I think I'd be perfectly happy with an S class if I wanted something well made, large, luxurious, and comfortable. So help me understand the psychology of this. Is a RR a dream vehicle of yours and you were finally able to afford one? Is it that you wanted something luxurious, large, and comfortable and simply found a good deal on this RR? Or was it simply the hand-crafted nature of the RR that drew you to the purchase? Or something else?
      It's interesting you bring this up. I've mentioned in previous threads about my family in Seattle and their history with Maybach. I've asked them almost the same questions you've just asked. Why Maybach and not just an S Class or even AMG S Class? From what I could make of their answer was that they have always been Benz people. Just as I grew up in the back seat of my parents Volvo's, they grew up in the back of their parents Mercedes. The Maybach was the "grail" so to speak and when it became attainable, it was the only option.

Not sure if OP has the "grail" mentality with RR. But I thought that little tid bit was relevant to your questions and I figured I'd share the mindset of another uber-lux car buyer.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x2 (atlas cross sport, tiguan)

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      09-22-2020 01:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      I could stare at that detailing for a long time.

Do you ever just sit in this thing and...do nothing?
      If I ever bought one, that's all I'd do*

*because it would be my home
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      09-22-2020 01:59 PM #15
      Looks very nice!

I'll be that guy : Does the Ghost feel 'worth it' considering the price? (assuming it was not cheap)

Vehicles
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      09-22-2020 02:01 PM #16
      What's the purpose of the hole in the orange fender reflectors?

Beautiful car!
      I'm watching you, Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      What you lack in obsessive compulsions you make up for in debauchery.

18. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      09-22-2020 02:04 PM #17
      Love the details in these. You can quite literally get lost in one for an hour checking out little design details and nuances. Congrats!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      09-22-2020 02:12 PM #18
      In for more gratuitous detail pics!!

Gorgeous color combo! While I have no idea what I would do with one, I do wholly appreciate imperious wafting.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      09-22-2020 02:17 PM #19
      How do you feel about watches timepieces?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      09-22-2020 02:18 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      It's interesting you bring this up. I've mentioned in previous threads about my family in Seattle and their history with Maybach. I've asked them almost the same questions you've just asked. Why Maybach and not just an S Class or even AMG S Class? From what I could make of their answer was that they have always been Benz people. Just as I grew up in the back seat of my parents Volvo's, they grew up in the back of their parents Mercedes. The Maybach was the "grail" so to speak and when it became attainable, it was the only option.

Not sure if OP has the "grail" mentality with RR. But I thought that little tid bit was relevant to your questions and I figured I'd share the mindset of another uber-lux car buyer.
      No worries, thanks for the perspective. If you're like me, it makes total sense to pay mega bucks on some hypercar because the styling, performance, and the combination of exotic materials and build quality (depending on the hypercar in question). Something like a RR/Bentley appears to be purely a materials and attention to detail play. But the "this is what we've always bought" isn't something I thought of. Keep it coming.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      09-22-2020 02:22 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      How do you feel about watches timepieces?
      The same. I'm completely happy with my GO Panoreserve as the nicest watch I own. I have zero desire to own a vastly more expensive ALS, PP, VC, etc. I can appreciate some aspects of watches from those brands, but not enough to attempt to save one. Though I would be tempted to get an ALS Zeitwerk if the money suddenly fell into my lap. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2020 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      09-22-2020 02:27 PM #22
      Well, this is the first time I've seen a thread on a late-model RR.
      We've seen Jags, Astons, Porsches, BMW 7-series and maybe an S class even but not sure about an RR - very nice.

What made you want one of these and pay whatever you paid for it (I know they depreciate like rocks at least immediately after new)?
      I definitely get the allure, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to shell out the $$ for one - compared to an S class - unless I had the disposable income for that extra level of luxury or I just had to have a RR.

Edit: Basically what he said:
      Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 09-22-2020 at 02:29 PM.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Explorer PI, LS430, GX460
      09-22-2020 02:31 PM #23
      Love the colors but what's the depreciation like? I feel like it probably lost a few thousand in the few minutes it took me to appreciate the pictures and type this response...

09-22-2020 02:38 PM #24
      I enjoyed my time driving a Series I around a few years ago. I love the looks but what I learned is I'm not a Rolls-Royce guy unless I'm going whole hog and driving my grandfather's Drophead. They're just too floaty for me.

Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Love the colors but what's the depreciation like? I feel like it probably lost a few thousand in the few minutes it took me to appreciate the pictures and type this response...
      Based on when my uncle had a Series I Ghost, brutal. Like over $100k within 2 years
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

26. Member
      09-22-2020 02:45 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      Owning this, a Golf R and a Miata has GOT to put you in a very isolated demographic. That's a win.
      That's what I was immediately thinking.

I do get this car, like you can look at what we would call 'the perfect...'
      It has a different element to cars that many people forget about. I dunno, I always love finding the balance between 'everything', but sway a tad more towards the driver environment within the car. This takes the driver environment > everything else

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast