VWVortex.com - Convince me not to sign up for Porsche Drive Single/Multi-Car Subscription?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Do it?

Voters
    27. You may not vote on this poll
    • F*ck yea, life's too short

8 29.63%
    • Nope, waste of money

19 70.37%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me not to sign up for Porsche Drive Single/Multi-Car Subscription?

1. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      981 Cayman, '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-24-2020 11:23 AM #1
      I can't believe I'm thinking of it, but it's been on my head for the last 2 days.

For those that don't know Porsche has finally released it's subscription service nationwide and has come to SoCal finally. I believe they were testing in Atlanta (NA HQ) for last few years?

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor.../subscription/

Last December I came close to purchasing an out of state 981 Cayman. Wife basically shot it down as it was sort of a spur of the moment type decision and upon her realizing I was actually serious, she decided it wasn't the right time. We discussed that later this year or beginning of 2021 I would start the hunt again for a 981 Cayman/S/ maybe GTS if she decides to donate to the car fund

Then this came out, and I'm willing to "throw away" $3-4k for the "experience" and see if it's actually worth perusing or an itch I scratch, but don't necessarily need in my life. The multi car is attractive because obviously you get several cars to pick from. I would get the Launch Tier which is Boxter, Cayman , Cayenne, Macan and Panamera including S trim models based on availability.

The multi car launch tier is $2100/m with 2k miles and theoretical unlimited changes based off availability. Other hand I can get a Cayman only single car for 1-3m at $1800/m. THere is a 595 activation fee if i do 1 month single car and multi car. 3 month single car would have no activation fee. Basically I'm tempted to just burn 2 months worth of premiums for the experience and fun of it and decide if its worth owning , etc. My drive way is short and steep and i've had non sports cars rub so this would be a good test to see if it's even practical. It would suck having a garage I would have to some how modify or have ramps to get up.

So TCL? Am I crazy? Save the money and use it towards a purchase or live life for a few months as a fake rich Porsche owner?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-24-2020 11:24 AM #2
      No. You do you booboo. Make your own mistakes.
      2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | Morimoto Lighting | SOS Performance | MESO Customs | XenonDepot | GTechniq

4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-24-2020 11:27 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      No. You do you booboo. Make your own mistakes.
      My friends would all say I am highly risk averse

Another thing I need to find out is if they would even deliver to OC or if I would have to go to their downtown LA location

Vehicles
      '16 F82 Krautrocket
      09-24-2020 11:29 AM #4
      That's just an outrageous amount of money for what it is, even w/ maintenance and insurance included. You'd be better off finding one on toro or through one of the lux rental programs for a few days to do your test than squander $2K-$3K.

If I'm some wealthy individual that spends a few months here and there, then i suppose this makes some sense. But otherwise, this is just a money printer for porsche.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-24-2020 11:34 AM #5
      Wow, that looks crazy expensive to me, even if it does include insurance. I would need gas to be included as well for me to even take it seriously. 1500 miles a month isn't bad, but I don't think I drive enough for that to make sense. I do have a porsche dealer right down the street from me, so swapping out cars would probably be easy. But I suppose my other concern are the cars themselves. I don't care about the sedans/SUVs, but the sports cars---can I get one in a manual? Can I get something higher than a basic cayman or 911? If I can rent a Cayman GT4 for $2k a month, maybe I'd consider it. But a base cayman with PDK? Lol, no thanks.

Vehicles
      2000 Honda S2000
      09-24-2020 11:37 AM #6
      If you're willing to spend $3-4k on this, you might as well buy one.

That's essentially what you'd pay on tax/registration, plus any minor depreciation if you had to turn around and sell.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 09-24-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 2 VW's
      09-24-2020 11:40 AM #7
      This sounds really dumb. Just buy the car.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x2 (atlas cross sport, tiguan)

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-24-2020 11:53 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Wow, that looks crazy expensive to me, even if it does include insurance. I would need gas to be included as well for me to even take it seriously. 1500 miles a month isn't bad, but I don't think I drive enough for that to make sense. I do have a porsche dealer right down the street from me, so swapping out cars would probably be easy. But I suppose my other concern are the cars themselves. I don't care about the sedans/SUVs, but the sports cars---can I get one in a manual? Can I get something higher than a basic cayman or 911? If I can rent a Cayman GT4 for $2k a month, maybe I'd consider it. But a base cayman with PDK? Lol, no thanks.
      Depending on the tier you can get anywhere from an S to a GTS. Not sure about manual, the few cars I looked at on their app showed PDK

Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post

That's essentially what you'd pay on tax/registration, plus any minor depreciation if you had to turn around and sell.
      That is a good point

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-24-2020 12:01 PM #9
      I feel like some 2 week Turo rentals would be a much more cost effective way to gather this data. You're in SoCal too so you probably have a **** load to choose from.

I am not even sure who this is for honestly... even Porsche's ****ty leases are less than 1/2 the top tier for most of their models.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      mk6 CW GTI, '20 CX5GT, sold - mk4 futura GTI, Mitsu Outlander Sport
      09-24-2020 12:08 PM #10

praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

12. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-24-2020 12:20 PM #11
      Just Turo a few cars for a week each instead.

SoCal has all kinds of stuff available on Turo--I'm sure you can find what you want. You'd have to come out ahead on cost, and any savings can then be applied to buying the car you actually want long-term.

Other thing to note is if you are considering a 981 Cayman, the 718 is going to be a very different experience with the turbo 4.

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      09-24-2020 12:22 PM #12
      Well I voted yes cause you said convince you... not gunna convince you by saying no.

(holy balls that is a lot of cash)
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

14. Member
      09-24-2020 12:27 PM #13
      There is a teeny tiny niche of high end freelancers visiting LA that this is perfect for. People will use this program, especially if the cost is tax deductible.
      Current: 2016 Cayman 6MT Mahogany Metallic
      Past: 1969 Mercedes 250 w/ V8 swap, 1969 Mercedes 250, 1973 Mercedes 280C, 1977 BMW 320i, 1992 Buick Roadmaster, 2005 Ford Excursion, 2006 E46 M3 ZCP, 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2009 Audi A4 2.0TQ, 2009 BMW 135i, 2011 CTS-V Wagon, 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 2014 Volkswagen Passat SE 1.8T 5MT, 2015 Chevy SS 6MT, 2016 MK7 GTI PP (bought back!)

15. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      09-24-2020 12:32 PM #14
      I ran the numbers on the Volvo program and what ultimately killed it was the high insurance costs they baked into the program. Cheaper to lease but for a Porsche I say buy it.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

16. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-24-2020 12:43 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I feel like some 2 week Turo rentals would be a much more cost effective way to gather this data. You're in SoCal too so you probably have a **** load to choose from.

I am not even sure who this is for honestly... even Porsche's ****ty leases are less than 1/2 the top tier for most of their models.
      My issue is with turo the cost for 1-2 ends up being close to the price of a monthly subscription from porsche. they avg 120-200 a day for cayman's that puts me at 1500 before taxes, fees and insurance coverage on turo. i'll be at 2k before you know it. i could then have basically 2 extra weeks if i did the porsche sub

17. Member
      Vehicles
      01 911 Turbo
      09-24-2020 12:49 PM #16
      Its pointless for me cause the GT cars arent available

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

18. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i
      09-24-2020 12:57 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      My issue is with turo the cost for 1-2 ends up being close to the price of a monthly subscription from porsche. they avg 120-200 a day for cayman's that puts me at 1500 before taxes, fees and insurance coverage on turo. i'll be at 2k before you know it. i could then have basically 2 extra weeks if i did the porsche sub

That's what I was thinking. When we were planning a fun trip to SF (cancelled, thanks COVID) the interesting cars on Turo were all $100 plus.

I don't think it's crazy to spend $1800 to borrow a new Cayman from Porsche to try it out.

19. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-24-2020 12:59 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      That's what I was thinking. When we were planning a fun trip to SF (cancelled, thanks COVID) the interesting cars on Turo were all $100 plus.

I don't think it's crazy to spend $1800 to borrow a new Cayman from Porsche to try it out.
      Granted, Porsche is doing daily rentals too. I believe they wanted like $200 something a day for a Cayman

20. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i
      09-24-2020 01:02 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Granted, Porsche is doing daily rentals too. I believe they wanted like $200 something a day for a Cayman

So $6k for the month vs $1800.

I like the 30 day idea vs. a long weekend type deal to see if you really want the car long term.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      09-24-2020 01:54 PM #20

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post

Both these.

The plans would have to be 20-30%+ cheaper for me to even look at them. You are paying heavily for the convenience. You are much better off flipping the car later.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

22. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-24-2020 01:55 PM #21
      here's an 8 day turo rental for a cayman gts so for few hundred more i could get 3 weeks extra

23. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      09-24-2020 03:36 PM #22
      Also the based on availability is a concern with no guarantees as to what you can get. Might end up stuck in something due to lack of availability.

Vehicles
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X2 M35i, and a Toyota appiiance
      09-24-2020 03:40 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      This sounds really dumb. Just buy the car.
      THIS. But I'd wait for 2-3 years, then buy the ones coming off the subscription program. PROFIT.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

25. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-24-2020 03:41 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      THIS. But I'd wait for 2-3 years, then buy the ones coming off the subscription program. PROFIT.
      no way. my gut tells me people are going to drive the piss out of them. they are glorified rentals. id never want to buy a prior rental vehicle, at least not with a porsche badge on it.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      09-24-2020 03:57 PM #25
      I don't think this is really dumb as some have said, but do think the program is geared to either individuals or businesses with plenty of capital to have a long term Porsche rental for a specific time period. It would be a cool perk for a business to provide for a high-end consultant or someone else that they are asking to relocate for a couple months or so. "Here's the keys to your condo and your Cayman S is in the garage in the basement. The Porsche dealer is about 10 mins away if you want to trade it for something else."

That said, I would agree with trying to figure out your thoughts on potential Porsche ownership through a couple Turo rentals for a couple days each. I'd like to do that at some point myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast