Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Well... I snapped a bolt on the front wheel hub

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Golf GTI & '14 Corsa
      10-16-2020 12:39 PM #1
      Well well well, something dreadful has happened. The screw/bolt that holds in the disc brake into the wheel hub has COMPLETELY decided it didn't want to live anymore and snapped. Pretty mint if you ask me.

How I do remove this blasted thing? Been reading about left handed drill bits but I don't know if thats a good idea considering how small the screw/bolt is. See attatched pics!

I think if I am unable to remove the bolt I'd have to completely replace the front wheel hub. But then I'd need a whole bunch of tools and knowledge I don't have.

Car is a 2001 1.8T GTI

Cheers
      Milt

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-16-2020 01:29 PM #2
      Hammer and chisel to loosen it

Otherwise just put the rotor on and drive it. It’s not something to keep you from driving it safely. It holds the rotor in place so you can get the wheel on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2004.5 hx30 GLi, '99 Taco on 33s
      10-16-2020 06:42 PM #3
      Centerpunch or chisel. Tap a hole/groove and work it out backwards. I picked up a set of left handed drill bits somewhere and they have saved me a few times like this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Anony00GT View Post
      Who's the idiot that deleted the EVAP solenoid?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2003/VW/GTI1.8T
      10-16-2020 09:40 PM #4
      You don’t need It just grind it down and leave it as is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2003 MK4 K&W V3 clubsport suspension, GC Camber plates, Shine Racing rear swaybar, 3"TB Forced-motion exhaust, Meistro Tuning, S3 strut bar, Baily DV, Modified Factory Airbox, VF engineering Motor mounts, TT front Brakes, USRT stage 2 Subframe and lower control arms.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta
      10-16-2020 10:45 PM #5
      yup leave it as it is or just drill it out... ez you don't even need left hand bits for this one... that hole goes all the way through.

done a few on the MKIV worse one are the Honda ones. POS Japanese steels. VW is not any better. I put a lot of anti seize every time I install that screw after it seized a few time on me.
      IHP is real.
      Imaginary
      Horse
      Power.
      Don't let your mangina bleed

8. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Jetta
      10-17-2020 12:19 AM #6
      It is only worth drilling out if you have the time to invest and it realy bothers you. As stated above it is not essential for driving or safety. It is mostly there as an assembly aid in the factory so the rotor does not fall off while on the assembly line and make it easier to install the wheel. Most cars do not even have them. Yes to the left hand drill comment, There is no benefit to the left hand drill as it is a through hole. So either type of drill will work. Center punch as best you can on center and start with a center drill or a small drill bit like a 1/8 and go slow. Use some oil to help it cut cleaner and preserve your drills. If you have an EZ out that may help back the broken bolt out and preserve the original thread. But do not force the EZ out. They can break too. Good luck.
      Last edited by nbpt100; 10-17-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-WRX-Ford-Volvo
      10-17-2020 12:08 PM #7
      Easy to do. Mentioned above, the hole goes all the way through (doesn't have a bottom), so take a small drill bit all the way through it.

If you drill all the way through, you might be able to use hammer chisel/small screwdriver to spin it around.

Otherwise, use a flute (bolt extractor) General website HERE for reference... you can get them anywhere.

Then, find stainless steal versions of the screws with Torx heads (instead of Philips) and use the anti-seize.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-...crew-n10648301

Steve
      Last edited by Rabbit Farmer; 10-17-2020 at 12:13 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      81 scirocco 1.6 diesel, 86 golf 1.6D, 85 300TD, 2003 Golf ALH
      10-18-2020 05:29 PM #8
      I actually did it not too long ago and ended up drilling the broken screw almost completely out and running a M6x1.0 tap into it to knock out the rest, an extractor would not work. That's worst case.
      BTW, real taps for cutting metal are made of 'high speed steel'.

Home depot has those screws in a 3 pack M6x1.0 if you're in a hurry , Use a heavy coat of anti-seize and don't screw it in super tight, the wheel covers it up so it can't fall out.
      Last edited by sgnimj96; 10-18-2020 at 08:05 PM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Jetta 1.8T, 90 Corrado G60
      10-19-2020 10:26 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by xspeedracer View Post
      You don’t need It just grind it down and leave it as is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      This. ^. Mine has been broken for years.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 JETTA GLI 24V VR6
      10-19-2020 09:47 PM #10
      Yeah, I have owned mine since new, and the first time I did my brakes...maybe 6 years ago...I found some mechanic had already ground those down for me(never let me know though)