Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had success with a manufacturer buyback? Namely, GM

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      10-18-2020 08:42 AM #1
      Hello guys,

To start, I've been pretty loyal to GM. I'm a self proclaimed fanboi. I've owned 5 cars in my 18 years behind the wheel, all GM (if you count a 2011 Saab 9-3 as being GM since it was developed during that time). Now, I have a 2018 Buick Regal Sportback that I bought new in December 2018 and now has 32k miles. The car has been fantastic. Everyone that drives it is blown away at how smooth and quick it is and I absolutely love the space inside. I just moved into a new office for my job and did much of the move with my Buick. My father went so far as to say it was the best car our family has ever owned for the money.

Fast forward to about three weeks ago, I was driving along uphill going about 30-40mph and the car downshifted on its own into first gear out of nowhere. The dash lit up and the car slowed to 10mph or so. I tried upshifting in manual mode, nothing. I coasted into a parking lot, called roadside. Car insisted I wasn't in park and wouldn't turn the ignition off (although the engine stopped). Dealership replaced the battery, said the transmission control module was failing but they ordered a new one and would replace it when it comes in, but to take it because it was working. That same day I picked it up, took it too work, when I went to go home, same lights on the dash. This time, I turned it off and on but it wouldn't restart. Called roadside. Dealership indicated this time it was going to be in for a long time while they wait for the master mechanic to put eyes on it. After a week, they had replaced a transmission valve body and reflashed the transmission control module (not replaced it, part still wasn't in) but said this was definitely it and they were certain of it. And the car worked for about a week so I thought so too.

Fast forward to this past Thursday, I had a meeting about 50 miles south of my office at 7pm. Got in my car and drove down and on the way back when I was on the New Jersey turnpike, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SM8_hRxrbg. I was lucky because you can see in this clip, it turned back on while I was driving and I was able to steer and maneuver for a few seconds into the shoulder and then coast the car into a rest area. Mind you, this with no engine and no power brakes. Anyone whose driven on the NJ Turnpike knows how infrequently rest areas come up. I was beyond lucky. I'm also lucky there was no reason for a sudden stop because it would have been an accident.

Anyway, it was about 8:30pm at this point, I called for an Uber, cleaned my car out, left the key in it and called roadside. They wouldn't tow to my normal dealer so it's at a different dealer about 20 miles south of mine. I went to my own the next morning and made it clear this was unacceptable and I needed a replacement vehicle or a buyback because under no circumstances am I taking that car back. The young lady at the desk said she would speak with the dealership it was at and explain to them the situation, speak with a manager and call me. This was Friday. They are also open on Saturdays. Still no call. I called the dealership where it is and he confirmed no call from my dealership and he couldn't start working on it until I go and sign paperwork. I explained to him the situation and he told me "off the record" that I'd have better success getting it working temporarily and taking it straight to a dealership to trade in. He also asked for a chance to let his guys diagnose it. EDIT: forgot to mention that with each of these issues, the transmission was banging in and out of gear and the car has been shifting poorly since. There is definitely some damage to it

Long story short, we've lost trust in the vehicle. There's no way my wife is going to let me take the kids in the car now that winter is here. My work takes me long distances a few times a week and these Uber rides are getting annoyingly expensive. I went car shopping yesterday and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a CPO Volvo S60 but I don't know what to do with the Buick. I am an attorney and can probably fight and threaten suit to get the money back, but to be honest, it's a douchey move and my business is seeing an unusual peak right now and I don't really have the time. I just need a reliable vehicle. I don't mind taking a haircut but I also don't feel I should have to because the Buick is high miles and has a few scratches on it.

So like the title says and long story short, is it worth trying to fight for a buyback from GM? Or do I just take a couple thousand dollar haircut and just trade it in and write it off as a mistake?

Thanks
      Last edited by qwikz28; 10-18-2020 at 08:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Civic/Civic Si/Civic Allroad
      10-18-2020 09:06 AM #2
      A quick Google of NY state lemon laws says 4 or more attempts to fix a problem. I'd let them try one more time before losing too much money on it.

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      10-18-2020 09:59 AM #3
      Wow that sucks. Couldn't they give you a loaner until it's properly fixed instead of the Uber lifts?

Sent from a telephone while driving

5. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2020 10:25 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
      A quick Google of NY state lemon laws says 4 or more attempts to fix a problem. I'd let them try one more time before losing too much money on it.
      It's registered in NJ for a very long . NJ is actually only two unsuccessful repair requests. I thought about it but NJ has a mileage deduction that would bring the lemon law value down to $14,900 or so. I'd probably get close to that on a trade. NJ nets out the sales tax of a trade, so trading in for even $13,000 would save me money over lemon law. Market value is closer to $17,000 which is what I was pushing the dealership for. Writing this out makes me realize I'm nitpicking over two or three thousand and its not worth it for my time and stress if they'll give me even $11k to $12k for my trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      Wow that sucks. Couldn't they give you a loaner until it's properly fixed instead of the Uber lifts?

Sent from a telephone while driving
      Nope. They have only a few loaners that are always apparently taken when I get in. That dealership is pretty terrible.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      10-18-2020 11:45 AM #5
      That ****ing sucks man. I hope **** gets resolved quickly
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      10-18-2020 11:48 AM #6
      In.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      MKV GTI
      10-18-2020 11:53 AM #7
      Here is what I would do if I were you. I would go buy another car so that you can can take care of your job and family duties. In parallel, let the dealer fix the Buick on their own time. Open a case with GM and ask them to make the Buick payments while the car is being repaired. I think this would be a lot easier than a buyback. Once the Buick is repaired, call Vroom or Caravna and sell it to them. You can get a quote from them online right now just to get an idea of what they will give you.

This would be the less stressful approach, but it may cost a bit to just get rid of the Buick. Based on your post you have yo get rid of the Buick no matter what.

Oh and I was successful with a new car swap a couple of years ago. It was with VW and the process was smooth. The one thing that I learned from it was to follow the rules (3 times for a repair or excess of 30 days here in CA) and to not rush the process. Since I had an extra car I didn't care. I let the dealer do its thing, I let VW Corp. do its thing and then I waited for the right car to be sent from port to me. They actually upgraded me to a more expensive car without me paying a cent. The whole trick to the process was to wait it out so to speak. But you need another car in order to wait it out.
      Last edited by BGTI1; 10-18-2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added buyback info

9. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      10-18-2020 12:25 PM #8
      Sh!tty situation but your mistake is taking your grievance about a buyback to the dealer.

Your grievance is with GM corporate, NOT the franchise dealer.

The dealer's only obligation to you is to fix the car and escalate it technically as high as it can go until it is fixed.

If you want a buyback, you open that up in parallel with GM corporate and let the dealer do its thing and take the time that it needs to do so.

I just went through this with VW. Dealer was great and kept at it, while I initiated buyback discussions with VWOA. In the end the dealer ultimately fixed it after 48 days (needed a new ECU, to the dealer's credit they looked at it early on and it was datalogging fine and only later did they catch it redhanded acting up when they tried looking at it again) and it escalating to the highest level possible while I was having tandem discussions with VWOA. In the end I didn't want a new car (getting close to paid off) and they were able to fix it, so I asked VW for $3k for the hassle which they cut me a check for no questions asked.

Treat the dealer well, don't go in demanding anything or making a scene. The dealer isn't making any money from GM for all the time spent diagnosing that issue for you so be kind to them and let them do their thing. Your best outcome is either letting them get to the bottom of it and trying to get the dealer to comp you a loaner and then seeking compensation from GM when it's all done and fixed, or doing the same and trading it in on your schedule. Problem with a buyback is it's never on your terms or schedule - if you let the dealer get to the bottom of it then you come out with a car that will be working again, maybe some compensation for the hassle, and the ability to trade/dump on your own schedule/terms, or you can keep the car, like I did.
      Last edited by puma1552; 10-18-2020 at 12:27 PM.

10. Member
      10-18-2020 12:45 PM #9
      how do you expect a buyback on a car that's nearly 3 years old?

doesn't lemon law only apply to the first year?

11. Junior Member
      10-18-2020 01:00 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
      Hello guys,

To start, I've been pretty loyal to GM. I'm a self proclaimed fanboi. I've owned 5 cars in my 18 years behind the wheel, all GM (if you count a 2011 Saab 9-3 as being GM since it was developed during that time). Now, I have a 2018 Buick Regal Sportback that I bought new in December 2018 and now has 32k miles. The car has been fantastic. Everyone that drives it is blown away at how smooth and quick it is and I absolutely love the space inside. I just moved into a new office for my job and did much of the move with my Buick. My father went so far as to say it was the best car our family has ever owned for the money.

Fast forward to about three weeks ago, I was driving along uphill going about 30-40mph and the car downshifted on its own into first gear out of nowhere. The dash lit up and the car slowed to 10mph or so. I tried upshifting in manual mode, nothing. I coasted into a parking lot, called roadside. Car insisted I wasn't in park and wouldn't turn the ignition off (although the engine stopped). Dealership replaced the battery, said the transmission control module was failing but they ordered a new one and would replace it when it comes in, but to take it because it was working. That same day I picked it up, took it too work, when I went to go home, same lights on the dash. This time, I turned it off and on but it wouldn't restart. Called roadside. Dealership indicated this time it was going to be in for a long time while they wait for the master mechanic to put eyes on it. After a week, they had replaced a transmission valve body and reflashed the transmission control module (not replaced it, part still wasn't in) but said this was definitely it and they were certain of it. And the car worked for about a week so I thought so too.

Fast forward to this past Thursday, I had a meeting about 50 miles south of my office at 7pm. Got in my car and drove down and on the way back when I was on the New Jersey turnpike, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SM8_hRxrbg. I was lucky because you can see in this clip, it turned back on while I was driving and I was able to steer and maneuver for a few seconds into the shoulder and then coast the car into a rest area. Mind you, this with no engine and no power brakes. Anyone whose driven on the NJ Turnpike knows how infrequently rest areas come up. I was beyond lucky. I'm also lucky there was no reason for a sudden stop because it would have been an accident.

Anyway, it was about 8:30pm at this point, I called for an Uber, cleaned my car out, left the key in it and called roadside. They wouldn't tow to my normal dealer so it's at a different dealer about 20 miles south of mine. I went to my own the next morning and made it clear this was unacceptable and I needed a replacement vehicle or a buyback because under no circumstances am I taking that car back. The young lady at the desk said she would speak with the dealership it was at and explain to them the situation, speak with a manager and call me. This was Friday. They are also open on Saturdays. Still no call. I called the dealership where it is and he confirmed no call from my dealership and he couldn't start working on it until I go and sign paperwork. I explained to him the situation and he told me "off the record" that I'd have better success getting it working temporarily and taking it straight to a dealership to trade in. He also asked for a chance to let his guys diagnose it. EDIT: forgot to mention that with each of these issues, the transmission was banging in and out of gear and the car has been shifting poorly since. There is definitely some damage to it

Long story short, we've lost trust in the vehicle. There's no way my wife is going to let me take the kids in the car now that winter is here. My work takes me long distances a few times a week and these Uber rides are getting annoyingly expensive. I went car shopping yesterday and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a CPO Volvo S60 but I don't know what to do with the Buick. I am an attorney and can probably fight and threaten suit to get the money back, but to be honest, it's a douchey move and my business is seeing an unusual peak right now and I don't really have the time. I just need a reliable vehicle. I don't mind taking a haircut but I also don't feel I should have to because the Buick is high miles and has a few scratches on it.

So like the title says and long story short, is it worth trying to fight for a buyback from GM? Or do I just take a couple thousand dollar haircut and just trade it in and write it off as a mistake?

Thanks
      Ask your dealer if they've opened a tech case for your car; that's common practice for issues that pop up that are highly unusual on vehicles. It might even get escalated to the point where the field engineer has to come out to physically look at the car. Going to keep an eye on this thread as a GM/VW technician. Let me know if you have any questions.

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      10-18-2020 01:26 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post

law varies state by state. in MA its first year / 15000 miles. only applies to vehicles purchased new.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Vehicles
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      10-18-2020 01:35 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Nero25 View Post
      Ask your dealer if they've opened a tech case for your car; that's common practice for issues that pop up that are highly unusual on vehicles. It might even get escalated to the point where the field engineer has to come out to physically look at the car. Going to keep an eye on this thread as a GM/VW technician. Let me know if you have any questions.
      This is what happened with a 'highly unusual' issue on my current car. They opened a case, consulted the tech line, sent out an engineer, specialized diagnostic equipment, etc. (but not a GM product). The dealer in the OP doesn't sound too friendly though, so that might be tough to make happen.

Whatever the case, assuming it won't sting too bad, I'd get it "fixed" and then dump it. Sometimes it's worth spending a bit to just be done with something. A buyback - if it's even possible - might be satisfying, but at what cost (time and money)?

14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2018 F150
      10-18-2020 01:58 PM #13
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

15. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      10-18-2020 03:27 PM #14

Depends on state.

Lemon law isn't necessarily the only option either. There can be arbitration through the BBB or similar and/or other consumer protection laws available at your disposal through the state attorney general's office.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2020 06:29 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Sh!tty situation but your mistake is taking your grievance about a buyback to the dealer.

Your grievance is with GM corporate, NOT the franchise dealer.

The dealer's only obligation to you is to fix the car and escalate it technically as high as it can go until it is fixed.

If you want a buyback, you open that up in parallel with GM corporate and let the dealer do its thing and take the time that it needs to do so.

I just went through this with VW. Dealer was great and kept at it, while I initiated buyback discussions with VWOA. In the end the dealer ultimately fixed it after 48 days (needed a new ECU, to the dealer's credit they looked at it early on and it was datalogging fine and only later did they catch it redhanded acting up when they tried looking at it again) and it escalating to the highest level possible while I was having tandem discussions with VWOA. In the end I didn't want a new car (getting close to paid off) and they were able to fix it, so I asked VW for $3k for the hassle which they cut me a check for no questions asked.

Treat the dealer well, don't go in demanding anything or making a scene. The dealer isn't making any money from GM for all the time spent diagnosing that issue for you so be kind to them and let them do their thing. Your best outcome is either letting them get to the bottom of it and trying to get the dealer to comp you a loaner and then seeking compensation from GM when it's all done and fixed, or doing the same and trading it in on your schedule. Problem with a buyback is it's never on your terms or schedule - if you let the dealer get to the bottom of it then you come out with a car that will be working again, maybe some compensation for the hassle, and the ability to trade/dump on your own schedule/terms, or you can keep the car, like I did.
      I understand your point, and I was always professional and courteous to my local dealership. I didn't raise my voice and I didn't threaten litigation. I simply told them that it was clear they couldn't fix it and an alternative solution was needed. They assured me the manager would be involved and a call to the other dealership would happen. Neither occurred. I haven't been back or spoken with them since.

Quote Originally Posted by BGTI1 View Post
      Here is what I would do if I were you. I would go buy another car so that you can can take care of your job and family duties. In parallel, let the dealer fix the Buick on their own time. Open a case with GM and ask them to make the Buick payments while the car is being repaired. I think this would be a lot easier than a buyback. Once the Buick is repaired, call Vroom or Caravna and sell it to them. You can get a quote from them online right now just to get an idea of what they will give you.

This would be the less stressful approach, but it may cost a bit to just get rid of the Buick. Based on your post you have yo get rid of the Buick no matter what.

Oh and I was successful with a new car swap a couple of years ago. It was with VW and the process was smooth. The one thing that I learned from it was to follow the rules (3 times for a repair or excess of 30 days here in CA) and to not rush the process. Since I had an extra car I didn't care. I let the dealer do its thing, I let VW Corp. do its thing and then I waited for the right car to be sent from port to me. They actually upgraded me to a more expensive car without me paying a cent. The whole trick to the process was to wait it out so to speak. But you need another car in order to wait it out.
      Interesting because I just came back from visiting my father and he had a similar suggestion, but he suggested I first get a quote from Volvo to see if their trade in figure is enough to make me happy enough to just take the easy route. But you're spot on. Worst comes to worst, car is getting traded in.

It's not. I bought the car less than two years ago. That's within lemon law guidelines of NJ and well within the warranty period.

There's a lot of good suggestions here and I appreciate them. I got a referral for a lemon law attorney who I will speak with tomorrow. If lemon law isn't the route I'm going to take, it's probably getting traded anyway.

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2018 F150
      10-18-2020 06:54 PM #16
      It's not. I bought the car less than two years ago. That's within lemon law guidelines of NJ and well within the warranty period.

There's a lot of good suggestions here and I appreciate them. I got a referral for a lemon law attorney who I will speak with tomorrow. If lemon law isn't the route I'm going to take, it's probably getting traded anyway.
      Most lemon laws are effective if the first documented case of a repeat issue happens in the first 1-2 years (depending on state).
      So what matter is first documented case, not current age/mileage.
      Tho a lemon law specialized lawyer would be a much better person to ask.
      (see my link above)
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R
      10-18-2020 07:11 PM #17
      I’m not sure how NJ lemon law works but I’ve lemon law’d two cars in California. Both times the manufacturer had to pay back all of my payments + the down payment + registration fees + maintenance items + warranties purchased - a mileage calculation. I had about 18000 miles on the most recent one and the deduction was about $1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Semi-n00b
      10-18-2020 08:14 PM #18
      As others have said, you need to get ahold of GM corporate. My issues were completely different than yours, but the Aftersales District Manager was the only one who did anything remotely substantial with my TourX.

Backstory: My TourX was in the body shop for 6+ months waiting on parts from GM. The case workers from GM customer care didn't offer anything worthwhile and I found them completely useless. The manager at the dealership voiced my frustrations to the Aftersales District Manger on the GM corporate side. They reached out to me and somewhat tried to make things right. It was still pretty insignificant but better than what the customer service people could do. From my understanding, these people are typically not customer facing so you can't seek them out directly.

Best of luck!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      10-18-2020 09:36 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by CRD99 View Post
      I’m not sure how NJ lemon law works but I’ve lemon law’d two cars in California. Both times the manufacturer had to pay back all of my payments + the down payment + registration fees + maintenance items + warranties purchased - a mileage calculation. I had about 18000 miles on the most recent one and the deduction was about $1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I wish NJ had the same calculation, that would be a no brainer. The mileage deduction alone is $6500 for my car.

This is going to end up being it. Carvana offered $14,500 and I will check Vroom next. I doubt I'll get close to that on a trade. Lemon law would get me to around the same amount. Not worth the hassle. Don't have the time for it right now. Going to put a deposit on that Volvo tomorrow before it sells.

Thank you guys

21. Member
      Vehicles
      MKV GTI
      10-18-2020 10:10 PM #20
      Usually if you don't accept the first offer with Vroom, they will increase it by $500. It happened to me and a few other people on TCL. Good luck with the Buick.

On a side note, I am pretty sure that the car has a transmission. Issue and it was repaired incorrectly. They should have changed out the transmission and it would have most likely solved the problem. Hope they do that next.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2020 07:10 AM #21
      Usually if you don't accept the first offer with Vroom, they will increase it by $500. It happened to me and a few other people on TCL. Good luck with the Buick.

On a side note, I am pretty sure that the car has a transmission. Issue and it was repaired incorrectly. They should have changed out the transmission and it would have most likely solved the problem. Hope they do that next.
      Thanks for the tip. I need the registration and insurance from the Buick to complete the Vroom app. I'm going to pick it up today and give that a whirl. Right off the bat, it's $100 higher than Carvana.

I'm not sure I agree about the transmission issue because the second time, the car was just started and in park when the car went haywire. I'm confident it has to do with the car's recognition of which gear the transmission is in, which would go to the part Buick originally wanted to replace (transmission control module). The dealership, however, insists the module is fine and they only reflashed it in an abundance of caution.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      10-23-2020 07:20 AM #22
      Situation update:

I went to the dealership Monday where the car is (not my usual dealership) and immediately the service rep asked me to take a seat in the waiting room until the manager arrives. Fifteen minutes later I spoke with the service manager and he asked for a detailed story of the car. I gave it to him, sent him the video I uploaded to Youtube and he took notes. He seems very eager to get me made whole which I told him I appreciate. This has overall been a way better experience than my normal dealership. Either way, I signed the paperwork he needed and they were wheeling in my car right away but of course, when the guy sat in it, the car started right away. No warning lights other than a CEL. Weird. I called back again yesterday and he told me the dealer techs have given up and they escalated the issue to GM corporate. Apparently the car is just showing a complete BUS communication failure and he has no idea what is causing it because it is a large chain.

I went ahead and bought a car though. 2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design. CPO with 11k miles. It's a beautiful color and the only CPO R-Design with the pilot assist I could find. Had to schlep to Manhattan to get it. Volvo's CPO program is definitely better than other companies. I was supposed to be picking it up today, but the dealership called me to tell me they have not yet received the title and I'll have to wait until next week. I didn't really want to do that and I had made it clear I would need to pick it up no later than Saturday, but they apologized and said there is nothing they can do.

I'm going to spend some time today and tomorrow shopping for cars, but I'm a bit glad the Volvo is delayed as now I'm curious to see what they can do with the Buick. I have a lot more hope in this dealership's abilities than I do with the prior dealership and if my Buick is, in fact fixed, I'd be delighted to take it back.

Let's see.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Toyota Sienna Crossover SUV,Nissan GT-R
      10-23-2020 08:30 AM #23
      Trade it. GM will wear you down.

25. Junior Member
      10-23-2020 10:37 AM #24
      Situation update:

I went to the dealership Monday where the car is (not my usual dealership) and immediately the service rep asked me to take a seat in the waiting room until the manager arrives. Fifteen minutes later I spoke with the service manager and he asked for a detailed story of the car. I gave it to him, sent him the video I uploaded to Youtube and he took notes. He seems very eager to get me made whole which I told him I appreciate. This has overall been a way better experience than my normal dealership. Either way, I signed the paperwork he needed and they were wheeling in my car right away but of course, when the guy sat in it, the car started right away. No warning lights other than a CEL. Weird. I called back again yesterday and he told me the dealer techs have given up and they escalated the issue to GM corporate. Apparently the car is just showing a complete BUS communication failure and he has no idea what is causing it because it is a large chain.

I went ahead and bought a car though. 2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design. CPO with 11k miles. It's a beautiful color and the only CPO R-Design with the pilot assist I could find. Had to schlep to Manhattan to get it. Volvo's CPO program is definitely better than other companies. I was supposed to be picking it up today, but the dealership called me to tell me they have not yet received the title and I'll have to wait until next week. I didn't really want to do that and I had made it clear I would need to pick it up no later than Saturday, but they apologized and said there is nothing they can do.

I'm going to spend some time today and tomorrow shopping for cars, but I'm a bit glad the Volvo is delayed as now I'm curious to see what they can do with the Buick. I have a lot more hope in this dealership's abilities than I do with the prior dealership and if my Buick is, in fact fixed, I'd be delighted to take it back.

Let's see.
      I've seen that issue before on another GM model - there's posts about it on the internal GM technician forum about it, and what the potential fixes are. Regardless, GM Techline is going to get involved, and if none of those actually solve the problem, then the field engineer is going to come out and look at the vehicle. I just had a field engineer out on a Stingray suspension issue on a C7 Corvette that was driving me crazy. We got it taken care of; and it was something completely unexpected and not solvable by a dealership technician.

Vehicles
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      10-23-2020 11:17 AM #25
      I'm surprised that they couldn't at least put you in a service loaner or pay for a rental car until they get the title. Seems like they aren't really motivated to sell you that car, and/or think the car will have quick turnaround once they get the title.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast